Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Really that bad for engineers? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/866-really-bad-engineers.html)

Unregistered 30-07-2011 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 14846)
After 10 years of working as engineer, my salary is 4.3k, 2 month bonus.
My classmates are in finance easily earning 16k with 10 month bonus.
Do your math

Well-said, all my secondary schools friends who went to NTU and NUS engineering all regretted studying and becoming engineers. Becos low pay and no respect in society

Unregistered 30-07-2011 03:54 PM

If engineers no respect,then I suppose teachers are even worse right?Remember parents always used to tell us "I want you to be a doctor,lawyer or engineer when u grow up" I have NEVER heard "I want you to be a doctor,lawyer or teacher when you grow up".Having said that,here in S'pore having respect of society = earning power,isn't it?

Unregistered 30-07-2011 07:24 PM

Actually teachers are earning more than engineers these days... Teachers can also give tuition to earn extra income... For Engineers, quite tough to earn extra with their skills since their specialize skills aren't that marketable ... As an engineer, sometimes even have to work free OT on weekends.. I had a few engineer who gave up and switch to teaching and are now doing very well...

Unregistered 30-07-2011 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 14866)
Actually teachers are earning more than engineers these days... Teachers can also give tuition to earn extra income... For Engineers, quite tough to earn extra with their skills since their specialize skills aren't that marketable ... As an engineer, sometimes even have to work free OT on weekends.. I had a few engineer who gave up and switch to teaching and are now doing very well...

Giving maths group tuition on the side makes me more money than my engineering day job.

Unregistered 30-07-2011 10:04 PM

With such low pay and little prospect, no wonder all the best brains go to law, finance and medicine, instead of engineering.

Engineers jobs are being priced out in singapore, now mnc like GE, are setting up high tech r&d in china and top notch engineers salary are 1/3 of singapore.

To prevent manufacturing sectors from hollowing out of singapore, goverment put a lot efforts to lure singaporeans to study engineering. Better think twice

Unregistered 30-07-2011 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 14874)
With such low pay and little prospect, no wonder all the best brains go to law, finance and medicine, instead of engineering.

Engineers jobs are being priced out in singapore, now mnc like GE, are setting up high tech r&d in china and top notch engineers salary are 1/3 of singapore.

To prevent manufacturing sectors from hollowing out of singapore, goverment put a lot efforts to lure singaporeans to study engineering. Better think twice

the government once lured lots of bright minds into LIFE SCIENCE - sounds familiar? where are these bright minds now? washing test tubes?

Unregistered 30-07-2011 11:12 PM

I tested my market value by going for a few interviews recently. Currently, I have 2 years of experience as an engineer in the oil and gas industry. One company offered around 4.4k and the other offered me 4.2k. Both are MNCs. Pretty decent after all if you asked me. Will test my market worth again when I clock 3 years of experience.

Unregistered 30-07-2011 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 14877)
I tested my market value by going for a few interviews recently. Currently, I have 2 years of experience as an engineer in the oil and gas industry. One company offered around 4.4k and the other offered me 4.2k. Both are MNCs. Pretty decent after all if you asked me. Will test my market worth again when I clock 3 years of experience.

maybe o&g is an exception. there's also a higher risk of fatal accidents in o&g.

Unregistered 30-07-2011 11:56 PM

It depends. One of the jobs in an engineering office so it's not risky at all. Well, I know that if you go offshore sometimes, I agree that it is slightly risky but there will be extra offshore allowance. If you are working offshore on rotation basis, it's a different salary scale altogether.

Unregistered 30-07-2011 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 14853)
The fact that you guys are doing aerospace shows you aren't smart at all. Perhaps good at scoring A's in tests but definitely mediocre in terms of finding out what's best in Singapore for making money.

Somewill say money is not important, so don't come here and rant and go live out your dream of being an engineer for life working for others for peanuts. A true engineer is like Edison who builds things to change the world, or Richard Branson who build companies flying people around and even to space in the future.

If you like building small things, do it as a hobby. Working for others in engineering sucks like hell. So aim to make more money first.

If you like building big things, first you have to be rich.

Being an engineer in Singapore will not make you rich. Even if you want to start a business, being an engineer will not give you much savings.

Make money first.

The smartest people don't necessarily make the most money. Those who make the most money aren't necessarily the smartest. But they like to think they are. Those who make the most money aren't the most productive either. I would sooner argue that an engineer's work is of greater value than, say, a banker (nothing against a banker, just giving an example).