Really that bad for engineers? - Page 13 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Really that bad for engineers?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #121 (permalink)  
Old 24-11-2010, 10:51 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
What is your age?
When you grad from university?

If you are a fresh grad 3 years ago, and after 3 years as of now you are earning 7k/month???
How can that be?
Even those in the oil and gas industry may not be able to hit this salary after 3 years from fresh grad. As an engineer.

Only those investment banking people in may hit this range 7k per month after 3 years.

I am also an engineer, just over 3 years of experience from fresh grad getting around 3.5k only.
i 3.5k, fresh grad. engineer/public servant

Reply With Quote
  #122 (permalink)  
Old 25-11-2010, 08:45 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
i 3.5k, fresh grad. engineer/public servant
u 2nd lower or 2nd upper or 1st class?
Which statboard or ministry u in??

I only noe that DSTA offer 2nd upper starting pay for fresh grad $3580 since year 2007

Reply With Quote
  #123 (permalink)  
Old 25-11-2010, 09:22 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
u 2nd lower or 2nd upper or 1st class?
Which statboard or ministry u in??

I only noe that DSTA offer 2nd upper starting pay for fresh grad $3580 since year 2007
2nd upper.
a stat board under MTI. U guess ... hehe

Reply With Quote
  #124 (permalink)  
Old 26-11-2010, 01:03 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
What is your age?
When you grad from university?

If you are a fresh grad 3 years ago, and after 3 years as of now you are earning 7k/month???
How can that be?
Even those in the oil and gas industry may not be able to hit this salary after 3 years from fresh grad. As an engineer.

Only those investment banking people in may hit this range 7k per month after 3 years.

I am also an engineer, just over 3 years of experience from fresh grad getting around 3.5k only.
He is telling rubbish. That is the lowest paid company i have ever come across. I regret joining them for 4 years. In 4 years, total less than 10% increment (inclusive of promotion). Btw, my performance is grade "A" over there.
Reply With Quote
  #125 (permalink)  
Old 28-11-2010, 09:34 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Another engineer

Hi younglings,

First of all in any profession you will be paid more if you are profit center not a cost center. Therefore if you love engineering then you need to get a job in the company where engineering makes or breaks company therefore you do look for work where you do get to design next generation iPhone/etc. Don't look for huge payout if you are the cost center, that would be irrational.

Same thing actually goes for finance: biggest payouts for finance guys are in companies where finance is a core expertise of the company. If you are just a finance guy in manufacturing company the only thing going for you is a proximity of robust FSI sector that can poach you so discounting too much is not going to work. Situation is different for engineering guys because SG doesn't really have companies where engineering is core expertise and a differentiator from competition, if engineering is just a back office function, engineering guys in similar maintenance positions like finance guys are not in danger of begin poached because face it, SG is not even on the map as far as decent R&D concerned. However if you do end up in whatever few positions in SG where engineering is a profit/product center you will be treated well.

This is coming from mid-30's engineer making over 200k and on the way to 300k. And no, I don't have any managerial duties, I'm just a profit center for my employer, that's all. And no I do zero sales, I suck at sales but I'm a very good engineer. Why I'm not being replaced by cheaper Indian or Chinese ? Well, the Indians or Chinese who are as good as I am cost the same.
Reply With Quote
  #126 (permalink)  
Old 28-11-2010, 10:04 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Hi well paid engineer,

It's so cliche. Any Tom knows if you are good you will be paid well. The best chefs get paid millions but the general tze char chef is paid modestly. Even so, there are exceptions. Talented artists like Picasso and Mozart in his twilight years don't get their talent recognized.

How many engineers are like you? As you were probably hinting at, you are one of the super rare breed engineers who cost a lot to hire. However, the discussion here is more about the general engineering profession. For every super successful engineer like you, there are thousands whose pay sucks. Whereas the general professional working in finance banking sector gets paid twice as much. That's also partly why SMU "younglings" smirk at NTU nerds.

Anyway, if one is truly smart he wouldn't be working for anyone. Those who are well paid are certainly quite smart but they also need to be lucky to have their talent appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi younglings,

First of all in any profession you will be paid more if you are profit center not a cost center. Therefore if you love engineering then you need to get a job in the company where engineering makes or breaks company therefore you do look for work where you do get to design next generation iPhone/etc. Don't look for huge payout if you are the cost center, that would be irrational.

Same thing actually goes for finance: biggest payouts for finance guys are in companies where finance is a core expertise of the company. If you are just a finance guy in manufacturing company the only thing going for you is a proximity of robust FSI sector that can poach you so discounting too much is not going to work. Situation is different for engineering guys because SG doesn't really have companies where engineering is core expertise and a differentiator from competition, if engineering is just a back office function, engineering guys in similar maintenance positions like finance guys are not in danger of begin poached because face it, SG is not even on the map as far as decent R&D concerned. However if you do end up in whatever few positions in SG where engineering is a profit/product center you will be treated well.

This is coming from mid-30's engineer making over 200k and on the way to 300k. And no, I don't have any managerial duties, I'm just a profit center for my employer, that's all. And no I do zero sales, I suck at sales but I'm a very good engineer. Why I'm not being replaced by cheaper Indian or Chinese ? Well, the Indians or Chinese who are as good as I am cost the same.
Reply With Quote

  #127 (permalink)  
Old 28-11-2010, 11:40 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Engineering is a low-risk, low-return profession, similar to placing your money in a fixed deposit.

Many people look only at its disadvantage: i.e. low-returns, but forgot all about its advantage: low-risk.

The flip side to professions in which you will not be paid much no matter how good you are, is that you will not starve no matter how bad you are.
Reply With Quote
  #128 (permalink)  
Old 29-11-2010, 12:11 AM
IT analyst
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Lightbulb

Hi All...

I would just like to simply state starting salaries of IT positions in banks/financial institutions with presence in Singapore. The lowest starting pay is around 3.3k in a local bank, and the highest, as far as I know, is 5.8k per month in a top-tier investment bank.(i.e. 40K - 70K per annum).

Though it's not as high as those in Front Office, such as corporate finance/sales/trading roles (starting pay offer of at least 6k to as high as 10k SGD per month for a fresh grad), I'm satisfied with what I'm getting for now. The key word is 'for now'.

I myself am an engineering graduate, specifically computer engineering, but many fellow fresh grads who are in technology graduate/analyst/associate (whatever it's called in each bank) are from varying academic backgrounds, such as mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, chemical engineering, mathematics, physics and business/finance.

One thing is similar in all these banks & their hiring strategies: they DO hire nerds, who can get the job done. they PREFER smart people who get decent grades and at the same time participate in activities/committees/volunteer services.

Just my 2 cents.

Just my 2 cents.
Reply With Quote
  #129 (permalink)  
Old 29-11-2010, 07:28 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Engineering is a low-risk, low-return profession, similar to placing your money in a fixed deposit.

Many people look only at its disadvantage: i.e. low-returns, but forgot all about its advantage: low-risk.

The flip side to professions in which you will not be paid much no matter how good you are, is that you will not starve no matter how bad you are.
It is in SG, not in US. In US it's fairly common place to see engineer make big because as said before difference is non-existent R&D.

In majority companies where engineering is the core competitive advantage, engineering track goes all the way to the top alongside management track.
Reply With Quote
  #130 (permalink)  
Old 29-11-2010, 07:35 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

that makes u a cost center like another one said!

it's quite hard to get in in the first place. count yourself lucky to have won the attention among the many applications these banks always receive, from fresh grads to experienced ones. and they DO look at results.

i also ce grad, but IT roles even in bank r just support positions. IT in banks can never becum a profit center. The systems I use have very outdated software u'll probably hear in the 90s, but these systems work fine and support thousands of transactions everyday. i'm glad i've made the switch, took a huge pay cut and working towards a financial analyst role and a CFA.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
banking, engineering, finance

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For chemists & chemical engineers chemist Education and Personal Growth 1 30-08-2010 12:12 AM
Engineers - considering CFA or Financial Engineering? Salary.sg Education and Personal Growth 27 27-09-2009 09:30 AM

» 30 Recent Threads
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,954 Replies, 6,048,197 Views
Singtel Management Associate... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
142 Replies, 93,931 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,483 Replies, 2,057,493 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,967 Replies, 1,822,499 Views
Capgemini Graduate Programme ( 1 2)
12 Replies, 7,012 Views
HSBC Graduate Programme 2021 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
33 Replies, 3,879 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,806 Replies, 1,188,011 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
9,755 Replies, 3,190,784 Views
Pay for digital marketing agencies
9 Replies, 3,179 Views
Diploma in Digital Marketing at...
4 Replies, 3,210 Views
Dentist Salary ( 1 2)
12 Replies, 8,286 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,528 Replies, 1,007,962 Views
DBS Graduate Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
752 Replies, 384,593 Views
Ex-MOE Teachers ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
89 Replies, 124,211 Views
MasterCard Graduate Developement... ( 1 2 3)
26 Replies, 7,411 Views
How much does a typical FP&A... ( 1 2 3)
25 Replies, 2,511 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,679 Replies, 1,377,570 Views
Whats your net worth ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,776 Replies, 840,034 Views
Buy condo or wait it out?
4 Replies, 658 Views
Starting Pay for CS/Ministries... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
160 Replies, 41,742 Views
How Much Do You Need to Earn... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
51 Replies, 19,580 Views
OCBC Graduate Talent Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
364 Replies, 127,165 Views
An upgrade to my system
1 Replies, 87 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,064 Replies, 285,457 Views
Different rank in local banks ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
56 Replies, 121,104 Views
shipping from China to Singapore
1 Replies, 616 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
289 Replies, 187,772 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,058 Replies, 837,944 Views
Standard Chartered International... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
55 Replies, 57,130 Views
Commercial Affairs Officer ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
139 Replies, 97,703 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 02:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2