Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Really that bad for engineers? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/866-really-bad-engineers.html)

Unregistered 13-04-2016 12:49 PM

How much do second lower Honours (no ns) majoring in ntu mechanical engineering earn as start salary?

Unregistered 13-04-2016 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 83444)
How much do second lower Honours (no ns) majoring in ntu mechanical engineering earn as start salary?

probably about 4k-ish

Unregistered 13-04-2016 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 83468)
probably about 4k-ish

haha, you're joking right? 4k? please.

Unregistered 13-04-2016 07:43 PM

From CNA: Government engineer pay will be raised to 3800. Anyone with details on the specifics?

Unregistered 13-04-2016 11:42 PM

I have a real question that I would hope someone might be able to answer not based on guesswork but facts and experience.

Please take this example:
A FRESH engineering undergrad who gets a job in public sector can get starting salary of around 3.5k or so. I am current a 2nd class uppers at NTU and let's say I decide not to go into the public sector yet, but would like to receive a much lower pay at around 2.5k because I would like to gain very valuable experience at a company first (please just take my words that it is really valuable) for maybe 3-5years.

After 3-5 years, if I would like to join the public sector using that valuable experience to have a bigger pay jump as compared to starting work straight in the public sector, how will they scale the salary? Will they take into consideration my 2nd class uppers and then add and scale the salary according to my valuable experience? Or will my 2nd class uppers no longer be considered and they will scale it to their own system(which can be disadvantageous to me since if I just join as a fresh grad, it might be more beneficial in the long run since my pay would have started fairly high at 3.5-4k).

It's a bit difficult to put it in words but I hope you guys could understand what I mean. Because the public sector has a rigid system, I am curious as to how they will scale the salary if I have really valuable experience.

Does anyone have any experience in such issues?

I really appreciate any help and would like to give my thanks in advance.

Unregistered 14-04-2016 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 83587)
I have a real question that I would hope someone might be able to answer not based on guesswork but facts and experience.

Please take this example:
A FRESH engineering undergrad who gets a job in public sector can get starting salary of around 3.5k or so. I am current a 2nd class uppers at NTU and let's say I decide not to go into the public sector yet, but would like to receive a much lower pay at around 2.5k because I would like to gain very valuable experience at a company first (please just take my words that it is really valuable) for maybe 3-5years.

After 3-5 years, if I would like to join the public sector using that valuable experience to have a bigger pay jump as compared to starting work straight in the public sector, how will they scale the salary? Will they take into consideration my 2nd class uppers and then add and scale the salary according to my valuable experience? Or will my 2nd class uppers no longer be considered and they will scale it to their own system(which can be disadvantageous to me since if I just join as a fresh grad, it might be more beneficial in the long run since my pay would have started fairly high at 3.5-4k).

It's a bit difficult to put it in words but I hope you guys could understand what I mean. Because the public sector has a rigid system, I am curious as to how they will scale the salary if I have really valuable experience.

Does anyone have any experience in such issues?

I really appreciate any help and would like to give my thanks in advance.

A couple of misconceptions:

#1 - Your estimation of 2.5k as starting for private sector considering your good honours is quite off base. Most MNCs are paying above 3k which you should have no problems getting. 2.5k is usually some sme pay for private biz degrees.

#2 - 3 to 5 years is way too short to jump clear the orbit of someone who start straight from public sector. Chances are you will end up either the same (if experience relevant) or lower (if experience not fully relevant) compared to someone who joins gov straight.

#3 - What you are trying to do here is usually done by high flyers in the sector that have reached senior management positions then decide to switch to some sort of director level job in public sector by leveraging on their experience. This allows them to move beyond normal glass ceiling, enjoy the job security and high pay when they are older (usually mid to late 40s). Caveat is not too many people succeed as you really need to be a high achiever to get this right.

#4 - I suggest you think through your priories and select the kind of sector that appeals to your needs with the intention to stay there for good. If you really end up some hot shot that can achieve #3 then good for you, but do not plan your current action based on such uncertain and long term forecast.

#5 - There are many people who do a mid career switch to public sector and end up either lower pay (which would be a very bad deal) or same pay (not a good deal either as you end up taking all the risk in pte sector without getting any headway in the end)

Unregistered 14-04-2016 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 83589)
A couple of misconceptions:

#1 - Your estimation of 2.5k as starting for private sector considering your good honours is quite off base. Most MNCs are paying above 3k which you should have no problems getting. 2.5k is usually some sme pay for private biz degrees.

#2 - 3 to 5 years is way too short to jump clear the orbit of someone who start straight from public sector. Chances are you will end up either the same (if experience relevant) or lower (if experience not fully relevant) compared to someone who joins gov straight.

#3 - What you are trying to do here is usually done by high flyers in the sector that have reached senior management positions then decide to switch to some sort of director level job in public sector by leveraging on their experience. This allows them to move beyond normal glass ceiling, enjoy the job security and high pay when they are older (usually mid to late 40s). Caveat is not too many people succeed as you really need to be a high achiever to get this right.

#4 - I suggest you think through your priories and select the kind of sector that appeals to your needs with the intention to stay there for good. If you really end up some hot shot that can achieve #3 then good for you, but do not plan your current action based on such uncertain and long term forecast.

#5 - There are many people who do a mid career switch to public sector and end up either lower pay (which would be a very bad deal) or same pay (not a good deal either as you end up taking all the risk in pte sector without getting any headway in the end)

Hi there, thank you very much for the clear and prompt reply, but I would like to clear up some stuff first.

What I initially meant was that I have already been offered a job at a very reputable company in Japan and the pay is around 2.5k (excluding bonuses and OT pay and overseas deployment pay) but as I mentioned, please just take my word that it really does provide very valuable experience in the field of project management in transport and on top of that, there are very frequent overseas deployment as well. Yes, the pay is very low compared to SG standards, and that is the very reason why I posted my question above regarding whether it is worth getting the valuable experience, and coming back to apply to public sector.

Reading this, are there any change in opinions or...?

Unregistered 14-04-2016 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 83596)
Hi there, thank you very much for the clear and prompt reply, but I would like to clear up some stuff first.

What I initially meant was that I have already been offered a job at a very reputable company in Japan and the pay is around 2.5k (excluding bonuses and OT pay and overseas deployment pay) but as I mentioned, please just take my word that it really does provide very valuable experience in the field of project management in transport and on top of that, there are very frequent overseas deployment as well. Yes, the pay is very low compared to SG standards, and that is the very reason why I posted my question above regarding whether it is worth getting the valuable experience, and coming back to apply to public sector.

as long u have more than 2 years of working experience. your degree does not matter already.
Now you are consider experience professional and pay adjustment will based on your last drawn salary.
2.5k is wayyyy too low to start with as a engineer

Wing Chun 14-04-2016 11:55 AM

Hey guys just a quick check, is JMS or Baxter Healthcare better? Engineer job. Considering between the two, I'm looking at the company culture, prospect and salary.

Unregistered 14-04-2016 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 83596)

Personally I wouldn't waste my time on this Jap offer unless there is something compelling in the job that you really have passion. Most Jap companies are famous for rigid culture, poor increments and bonus and somewhat patchy reputation.

Project and overseas deployment is so common among most reputable MNCs that I don't really see that as worth the lousy pay. You have relative good cards in your academics, don't squander that; go for a proper European or American MNC, heck even Chinese international companies offer better pay and exposure.

A 3-5 year stint in a Jap company does not help you to be a stud in the public sector. You will likely end up even lower than someone who joins the government for 3 years right after graduation.