Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Really that bad for engineers? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/866-really-bad-engineers.html)

Unregistered 19-03-2016 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 81622)
Hi guys, check with you all on something. I am mechanical engineer trained and mainly doing project management work in a construction company. Total experience is about 7 years since graduation.

Currently drawing 8.9k and I was just given a verbal offer of 11k by a company doing mainly engineering sales for specialized construction equipment. The offer is very tempting, but I have never done sales before and worried that if it doesn't work out, it will be quite hard to go back into project management.

Anyone has similar dilemma before? Any thoughts?

I say just take up the offer first. The increase is quite good and project management is a sought after skill in SG, so even if it doesn't work out you can still quote 11k as expected salary for another PM role.

Another thing to check is the bonus of the sales engineer job, what is the realistic bonus which you get if can meet all the sales targets.

Unregistered 22-03-2016 09:18 PM

I am currently intending to take up REP in NTU. What are the prospects of bachelor in engineering science and masters in techonology management. (Especially masters in techonology management what are the possible jobs and salary like ?)

Unregistered 23-03-2016 11:44 AM

hey guys, gonna go for an interview at REC Solar for the role of equipment engineer, and they also recommended me for manufacturing engineer. i remember reading somewhere around this forum that manufacturing engineer not much useful in future, and also for this coy, it requires shift work.

i was wondering if any experienced personnels in this field can shed some light on this? and also in the field of equipment engineer, in terms of career prospects? thanks!

Unregistered 24-03-2016 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 81527)
How have you been? It has been one year since then. How is stat board work as compared to your private experience?

It is good, the scope is wider and challenging. Colleagues and bosses very friendly, environment is great. alot of talents here hard to shine.

Looking to get my PE and see how it goes.

Unregistered 24-03-2016 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 63214)
I do have scem too which acquired recently. Currently looking to take up professional courses such as water efficiency manager, fire safety manager etc to enhance my portfolio. Also considering master of science (mech eng) in the near future.
I have been involved in energy related companies for the past 5 years. Only recently switch to developer as a manager. Earning a decent pay of mid $5,000 with good benefits and bonus.

Where are you doing your fire safety manager course? Any idea which place is the easiest to pass?

Unregistered 25-03-2016 12:10 AM

what the market rate for system engineer?

Unregistered 25-03-2016 12:24 AM

anyone working as sport equipment manager?

Unregistered 12-04-2016 12:05 AM

Hi folks, how's job prospects and expected remuneration in Singapore....... for a Chemical Engineering PhD holder being trained in Melbourne ?
Appreciate inputs.

Unregistered 12-04-2016 02:51 AM

Quote:

I am currently intending to take up REP in NTU. What are the prospects of bachelor in engineering science and masters in techonology management. (Especially masters in techonology management what are the possible jobs and salary like ?)
The intent of the course and the design of it is remarkable - however, graduates of the course are struggling to find jobs that live up to the hype of its supposed prestige - the biggest problem is that employers do not know specifically what jobs these graduates are suitable for - it is far easier to shortlist EEE candidates for semiconductor jobs, CS/CE/IS grads for software dev jobs, mech engineers for mechanical jobs, and so on.

Sure, the UCB experience may be life changing, but specifically if we're looking at it from a ROI perspective, I strongly suggest you consider a specialized engineering course.

Unregistered 12-04-2016 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 83307)
Hi folks, how's job prospects and expected remuneration in Singapore....... for a Chemical Engineering PhD holder being trained in Melbourne ?
Appreciate inputs.

It depends on the industry you join. For e.g. if you can get a Principal Engineer job in a oil & gas refinery or chemical plant, then should be able to get above 10k. If it's some other generic engineering/technician job in manufacturing plant or sme then I think it is no different from good honours perhaps 5-6k tops.