Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Really that bad for engineers? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/866-really-bad-engineers.html)

Unregistered 09-02-2015 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 62410)
Glass half full or glass half empty. You choose. 80~200K range is normal in tech firms. Not talking about fresh grads or rock stars. However, these jobs are not typically advertised on jobstreet.

Where are they advertised or can be found then?

Unregistered 09-02-2015 07:56 PM

as you would probably guess, jobs posted on jobstreet are aimed at fresh/junior/mid level people, which you don't see get paid that much. mid/senior can get that much and the common hiring channel is through word of mouth/recruiting firms.

Unregistered 11-02-2015 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 62478)
as you would probably guess, jobs posted on jobstreet are aimed at fresh/junior/mid level people, which you don't see get paid that much. mid/senior can get that much and the common hiring channel is through word of mouth/recruiting firms.

but still, engineer's glamourous days have long past, except for software/computer engineers. of course there'll always be high-flyers from any professions, but the distribution can vary significantly. Fresh graduate starting salary report from local universities is a good and unbiased source of such information. And there's news about how president's scholarship winners choose their major over the years - from mostly engineering decades ago to almost no engineering nowadays.

Unregistered 11-02-2015 04:24 PM

If you are an engineer in your fifties and earning more than $100k pa, your job is at risk. Better get a taxi license if you are not prepared for early retirement. Be prepared to sell your condo and downgrade to a 3 room HDB flat if you don't have sufficient other income sources.

Unregistered 11-02-2015 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 62566)
Fresh graduate starting salary report from local universities is a good and unbiased source of such information.

Local university reported number is one of the most biased source around. All of them are trying to one up each other and proof their starting pay is the highest. Their numbers are unverified and much higher than what students on the ground actually get.

I completed a salary survey from NTU sent via email last year. Test out by putting a very high salary number to see whether they will ask me to verify with payslip or employment contract. Nobody bothered to call back & find out, I guess my fake number also contributed to those high average salaries you read in newspaper.

Unregistered 12-02-2015 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 62570)
Local university reported number is one of the most biased source around. All of them are trying to one up each other and proof their starting pay is the highest. Their numbers are unverified and much higher than what students on the ground actually get.

I completed a salary survey from NTU sent via email last year. Test out by putting a very high salary number to see whether they will ask me to verify with payslip or employment contract. Nobody bothered to call back & find out, I guess my fake number also contributed to those high average salaries you read in newspaper.

standard lah. their business degree always claim starting can get high 3k+ or low 4k+, in reality even the banks dont offer that much unless is MAP or FO

Unregistered 12-02-2015 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 62410)
Glass half full or glass half empty. You choose. 80~200K range is normal in tech firms. Not talking about fresh grads or rock stars. However, these jobs are not typically advertised on jobstreet.

80k wage level is normal at around 40. 80k salary is about 6-7k per month normalize to 12 month salary.

200k salary is the level of country manager, sales director (commission based) even for big MNC. A few CTO may hit here. These are not the typical engineer but managers. And normally the few lucky guys reach this level after 40s. Go look at glassdoor.

Show me a link where a principal engineer or senior staff engineer hit 20k here?

Such wage level is far more common in banks than engineering.

Unregistered 12-02-2015 03:21 PM

The best chance for locals to get high salary as engineer is to go DSO, DSTA, CSIT and IDA and suc the coc of the managers there.

Down there not so much FT. They took in mostly 2nd upper with NS, so starting pay already close to 4k.

Government sector got a career path. Every year you got a 4-6% rise. Around 3 years time, you got a promotion that comes with a higher wage hike. Within the 5th years, you may hit 5k.

But it is not fun inside these shitt institution and they are well known cesspool of office politics.

They condemn around 5-10% of people each year require by quota, and most of these condemnee are awarded to new comers. The attrition and turnover rate for rookie is very high. The old boys form a club.

People there do not teach and share knowledge and your colleague want you dead to fill in the 10% condemn quota.

Unregistered 12-02-2015 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 62623)
80k wage level is normal at around 40. 80k salary is about 6-7k per month normalize to 12 month salary.

200k salary is the level of country manager, sales director (commission based) even for big MNC. A few CTO may hit here. These are not the typical engineer but managers. And normally the few lucky guys reach this level after 40s. Go look at glassdoor.

Show me a link where a principal engineer or senior staff engineer hit 20k here?

Such wage level is far more common in banks than engineering.

Not saying 200K is common, neither is 80K common. Techies (esp those in revenue center) typically get paid between 100~150K OTE (typical split 80/20, 75/25) in tech companies.
These are individual contributors. As they progress, small number becomes tech managers and the range could go up to 250K OTE.

The techies are typically in age group 30~40. Managers are typically 40~50. Once a while, you do have an outlier individual contributor that gets 200K or more.

Unregistered 12-02-2015 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 62625)
Not saying 200K is common, neither is 80K common. Techies (esp those in revenue center) typically get paid between 100~150K OTE (typical split 80/20, 75/25) in tech companies.
These are individual contributors. As they progress, small number becomes tech managers and the range could go up to 250K OTE.

The techies are typically in age group 30~40. Managers are typically 40~50. Once a while, you do have an outlier individual contributor that gets 200K or more.

Its better you go glassdoor and show me a URL about any people even at CTO level can hit 200k

Most technies work in cost center such as R&D. The revenue center like sales are teemed with people who sweet talk and do not know anything about dirtying their hands. Sales manager do not become technical manager. Their career path is sales director or country manager.

It is common for sales director to make 200k. But altogether how many of them?

All these shows that engineering is hopeless. Its better to learn talking coc