Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Really that bad for engineers? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/866-really-bad-engineers.html)

Unregistered 19-09-2014 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 56652)
If you are so sure that you want to be in biomedical engineering, by all means take the engineering degree. Mechanical,materials or whatever its not important. You will need a PhD to get anywhere anyway as the field is very focused on research. So as long as you like research and are good at it, there are plenty of opportunities as local postgraduate programs are very unpopular with locals. As long as you have 2nd upper it wont be a problem. Of course if you want the prestigious overseas unis PhD programs you'll have to do better. Money wise in the sector it is not too bad, and if you have a breakthrough product you will really do well.

PhD?!?!?! :o That would take tooooo long :( and the money is "not too bad"?? Not even average?? I should maybe just do something else :(

Unregistered 20-09-2014 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freshjunior (Post 5725)
Hi all, I'm a 20 year old currently in NS and going to study mechanical engineering next year(NUS). I read through many of the posts and found many people talking about how engineering is a dead-end career, the low pay in singapore etc...

I'm quite worried that this is true but I really have a interest in this area and the sciences. (I did quite well for my A levels (5As) and so had the option to choose other courses.) Having said that, I don't intend to be an engineer all my life but just for a few years to gain some experience in the field, then move on to higher managing roles.

cannot imagine a 20 yr old guy could plan/schedule his life in such a way..
Go for your dream, forget what t other's saying.
You could be any champion in any area if you like it, dream it, and work for it.
If a champion is still worrying about money, something must be wrong.
There is nothing to be dead end.

Unregistered 20-09-2014 11:17 PM

Every single engineering undergrad out there talks like this nowadays, just go to a convocation at NTU or NUS and talk to some engineer grads you probably hear things along this line

Sentence 1:
"oh I want to do engineering a few years first, then after that get MBA and move on to management"
Sentence 2:
"I dont see any future in engineering, what are my chances in getting into finance with an engineering degree."

and the classic one "Should I get a CFA or MBA so that I can switch into finance"

I really think its a tragic that the once highly sought after profession in 80s has engaged full speed in reverse gear today.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 56696)
cannot imagine a 20 yr old guy could plan/schedule his life in such a way..
Go for your dream, forget what t other's saying.
You could be any champion in any area if you like it, dream it, and work for it.
If a champion is still worrying about money, something must be wrong.
There is nothing to be dead end.

Unregistered 21-09-2014 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 56716)
Every single engineering undergrad out there talks like this nowadays, just go to a convocation at NTU or NUS and talk to some engineer grads you probably hear things along this line

Sentence 1:
"oh I want to do engineering a few years first, then after that get MBA and move on to management"
Sentence 2:
"I dont see any future in engineering, what are my chances in getting into finance with an engineering degree."

and the classic one "Should I get a CFA or MBA so that I can switch into finance"

I really think its a tragic that the once highly sought after profession in 80s has engaged full speed in reverse gear today.

From personal experience local uni engineering courses churn out a max of 10% of real engineers. The rest, lacking the passion or the brains will be as above dreaming for their finance/management future and eventually being stuck at the boring, low pay, low job security engineering job for the next 10-15 years before coming undone.

Unregistered 21-09-2014 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 56662)
PhD?!?!?! :o That would take tooooo long :( and the money is "not too bad"?? Not even average?? I should maybe just do something else :(

Nobody on this forum knows what they are talking about. Don't come here for advice.

Your best approach is to talk to people who are studying or had studied bioengineering. Ask them what they like or hate about their major, ask them about their future plans.

Unregistered 22-09-2014 06:52 AM

come become a financial analyst, come to smu bro.

Unregistered 22-09-2014 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 56737)
come become a financial analyst, come to smu bro.

Yes! Come join the 10,000 other sad smu hopefuls wanting to fly high in finance. Only 10 will make it to front office and the 9990 will work in some back end position while convincing themselves that they work in a prestigious bank

Unregistered 22-09-2014 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 56739)
Yes! Come join the 10,000 other sad smu hopefuls wanting to fly high in finance. Only 10 will make it to front office and the 9990 will work in some back end position while convincing themselves that they work in a prestigious bank

Sadly back office earns more than engineer lol.

Unregistered 22-09-2014 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 56740)
Sadly back office earns more than engineer lol.

this is very true.

Wisely 22-09-2014 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 56741)
this is very true.

How much does bank back office earns on average in 5yrs, 10yrs and 15yrs?