Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   I'm so lost.. (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/863-im-so-lost.html)

cupnoodles 14-04-2010 12:51 AM

I'm so lost..

Hi,

im 24 years old, female, graduated with a dip in IT and am currently doing a p/t degree with a local uni.

im already in a oil & gas company with a really good mentor which is my boss who is willing to teach me everything he knows, but somehow i feel more and more stagnant in the company and am looking to move on.

are there any positions suitable for me in the oil & gas industry?

was interested to becoming a oil trader/broker but as a female, i realised i will be at a disadvantage especially with the late nights entertainment with the oil traders and so on.

or should i go into another industry?

my main focus is to earn more money.

thank you

Unregistered 14-04-2010 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cupnoodles (Post 5686)
Hi,

im 24 years old, female, graduated with a dip in IT and am currently doing a p/t degree with a local uni.

im already in a oil & gas company with a really good mentor which is my boss who is willing to teach me everything he knows, but somehow i feel more and more stagnant in the company and am looking to move on.

are there any positions suitable for me in the oil & gas industry?

was interested to becoming a oil trader/broker but as a female, i realised i will be at a disadvantage especially with the late nights entertainment with the oil traders and so on.

or should i go into another industry?

my main focus is to earn more money.

thank you

my sister-in-law used to be an oil broker/trader. according to her, you got to like that kind of lifestyle in order not to burn out. the money is good though (~100k about 10 years ago, she's now a tai tai). paper qualifications apparently don't matter- she holds an O level cert.

cupnoodles 14-04-2010 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 5689)
my sister-in-law used to be an oil broker/trader. according to her, you got to like that kind of lifestyle in order not to burn out. the money is good though (~100k about 10 years ago, she's now a tai tai). paper qualifications apparently don't matter- she holds an O level cert.

Thanks for your reply!

really appreciate it.

What kind of lifestyle she meant?

btw, how did she managed to get the job? coz im from a totally different field and i've been sending out resumes but no phone calls yet. :(

is she pretty? coz was told that only pretty and tall girls will be accepted into this industry.

Unregistered 14-04-2010 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cupnoodles (Post 5690)
Thanks for your reply!

really appreciate it.

What kind of lifestyle she meant?

btw, how did she managed to get the job? coz im from a totally different field and i've been sending out resumes but no phone calls yet. :(

is she pretty? coz was told that only pretty and tall girls will be accepted into this industry.

the lifestyle you described earlier. i'm surprised it's still the same now cos i thought the practice is so last century. i wonder why they need to entertain clients. i don't think traders in banks need to do that.

she got in thru a friend. they were flight stewardesses.

why don't you ask around within your current company? make more friends, especially traders and their supporting staff, and find out more.

cupnoodles 14-04-2010 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 5691)
the lifestyle you described earlier. i'm surprised it's still the same now cos i thought the practice is so last century. i wonder why they need to entertain clients. i don't think traders in banks need to do that.

she got in thru a friend. they were flight stewardesses.

why don't you ask around within your current company? make more friends, especially traders and their supporting staff, and find out more.

i realised (pls correct me if im wrong), traders in banks need more certification and educational qualifications compared to oil traders.

and i think what i heard is true afterall, only pretty girls will be accepted into this trade as usually alot of ex airstewardess in this line.

my company is too small, employment of only less than 10 people for our local office.

my group of friends are usually accountants etc and difficult to expand my network too. sigh.

buyselloil 11-10-2013 03:00 PM

My company deals with trading of oil. Do drop me a PM If you have any suppliers or buyers. Thanks all!