Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Top paying companies in SG for CompSci (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/8617-top-paying-companies-sg-compsci.html)

tx3 23-02-2017 10:17 PM

Top paying companies in SG for CompSci

What are the top paying companies in Singapore for Computer science fresh graduates? Any rough figures of their pay?

Are Google/Apple Singapore as prestigious and high-paying as their U.S counterpart?

Unregistered 24-02-2017 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tx3 (Post 94886)
What are the top paying companies in Singapore for Computer science fresh graduates? Any rough figures of their pay?

Are Google/Apple Singapore as prestigious and high-paying as their U.S counterpart?

How about you get a few actual offers first then talk? If you are really that competitive, you would have gotten some preliminary offers or at least have a rough idea of the industry through past internship or professional network.

tx3 24-02-2017 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 94892)
How about you get a few actual offers first then talk? If you are really that competitive, you would have gotten some preliminary offers or at least have a rough idea of the industry through past internship or professional network.

Why are you so aggressive? I never claimed i'm competitive, just curious?

Unregistered 24-02-2017 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tx3 (Post 94893)
Why are you so aggressive? I never claimed i'm competitive, just curious?

It's not aggressive, just tired of the same old sort of senseless question. This is like the hundredth time someone is asking which company pays best and how much type of question.

Seriously, if you really want to know, at least put in more effort and thought process to your question to show that you are really interested. Don't just ask simple minded question like this and expect a direct answer. Show some maturity of someone who is close to graduating or even in the workforce already.

You are free to ask, but don't expect any serious answer if you ask in this manner.

tx3 24-02-2017 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 94894)
It's not aggressive, just tired of the same old sort of senseless question. This is like the hundredth time someone is asking which company pays best and how much type of question.

Seriously, if you really want to know, at least put in more effort and thought process to your question to show that you are really interested. Don't just ask simple minded question like this and expect a direct answer. Show some maturity of someone who is close to graduating or even in the workforce already.

You are free to ask, but don't expect any serious answer if you ask in this manner.

What kind of thought process are you looking for, for a question as straightforward and simple as this?

Unregistered 24-02-2017 07:55 AM

Different poster here.

I think the OP was just being curious, cut him some slack.

Anyhow, from what I know, Apple and Google aren't as remotely as prestigious as their US counterparts. I don't know about engineering per se but I know they pay your standard run of the mill pay in Singapore ~$3k.

insiocto 24-02-2017 09:30 AM

Glad you asked this question. We do need more CS love in this forum.

Based on my research so far, market rate as of 2017 is 4.5K and above for a good CS graduate, and 7-10K for senior engineers. Here are some companies that offer such salaries.

1) Rapidly growing VC funded startups such as Garena (>5.5K), Grab (>5K), honestbee (~5K) and Carousell (~4.5K). Garena is about to IPO and is quickly conquering the mobile e-commerce space with its Shopee offering. Grab is probably the fastest growing startup in SEA with dozens of people hired per day. Both Garena and Grab hire fresh graduates regularly. Due to the frenzied development pace, the work-life balance is not really ideal, but the performance bonus can be very good if you are willing to put in the hard work.

There are smaller VC funded startups that are relatively unknown, but they are doing really interesting work. Nugit, 90 Seconds, TradeGecko and nuTonomy come to mind. However, they rarely hire fresh graduates. They offer 7-10K for senior engineers though.

2) Reputable software consultancies like ThoughtWorks (>4.5K) and Pivotal Labs (>4.5K). You will definitely learn how to make high-quality software during your stint there. They are hiring fresh graduates regularly as well. They put a lot of emphasis on pair programming though (some people may not like it). Decent work-life balance, although you may need to put in extra hours to catch up on the client’s tech stack. Well-defined career track as well, 7-10K is possible if you stay there long enough and get promoted to senior engineer.

3) Government digital services AKA GovTech (>4.5K). Taking a cue from their U.S. counterpart (https://www.usds.gov/), they are adopting a Silicon Valley attitude (think startup culture) to how they create software. Basically, they are like a software consulting arm for the SG government, developing products using agile methodology and evangelizing software engineering best practices to other government agencies. Also, there is Singapore Power, a stat board entity that is going digital, and is attracting a strong team of engineers.

Pretty much an iron rice bowl with a well-defined career track, except the work is not too interesting, although it can be meaningful to some people.

4) Acquired tech startups such as Viki (>5K), Zopim (>4.5K) and Redmart (>4.5K). They are independent subsidiaries who are not absorbed into the parent company post-acquisition. As such, they got the financial backing of a mature company and can continue to do interesting work independently. Their engineering teams are pretty lean with mostly senior engineers. They have a strong mentorship culture, which is great for fresh grads. Excellent work-life balance since they focus on the work you have done instead of hours worked, which means working hours are flexible.

5) Profitable startups such as PigeonLab (~5K) and ReferralCandy (>4K). Typically, these startups are bootstrapped without any/very little VC funding, yielding organic growth. This necessitates a lean engineering team, but they compensate their engineers very well. Good work-life balance with remote work option.

6) Reputable BigCorps building their own engineering teams right here on local soil. Google, Facebook, HomeAway and Skyscanner come to mind. Their pay should be pegged to Garena level, or slightly higher. For Google, HomeAway and Skyscanner, their engineering teams are focused on expanding its user base in SEA. Facebook’s team consists mostly of data engineers doing BI work and supporting its U.S. counterparts. Great work-life balance and benefits.

Also, to answer your question about prestige. For Google and Facebook, their interviews are standardised meaning the difficulty is similar to their U.S. counterparts. The salaries are much lower, however it’s still in the top percentile in Singapore which has a relatively lower COL and much lower tax. However, I still think it's more prestigious to work at their U.S. headquarters, as you can work on their core products or moonshot projects. For their APAC teams, their work is mostly restricted to support user growth in the region.

Lastly, the bottom line is, you have to be good to receive such offers. You cannot just waltz in and smoke your way to the offer stage. Those companies typically give tough technical interviews and you have to prepare for them for months beforehand. The job hunt is a mentally draining and time-consuming process too, sometimes with soul-crushing rejections.

Source: received multiple offers from the aforementioned companies and got friends working there.

Unregistered 24-02-2017 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by insiocto (Post 94905)
Great work-life balance and benefits.

For google and facebook? not sure about the great work life balance part.

Unregistered 27-02-2017 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by insiocto (Post 94905)
Glad you asked this question. We do need more CS love in this forum.

Based on my research so far, market rate as of 2017 is 4.5K and above for a good CS graduate, and 7-10K for senior engineers. Here are some companies that offer such salaries.

1) Rapidly growing VC funded startups such as Garena (>5.5K), Grab (>5K), honestbee (~5K) and Carousell (~4.5K). Garena is about to IPO and is quickly conquering the mobile e-commerce space with its Shopee offering. Grab is probably the fastest growing startup in SEA with dozens of people hired per day. Both Garena and Grab hire fresh graduates regularly. Due to the frenzied development pace, the work-life balance is not really ideal, but the performance bonus can be very good if you are willing to put in the hard work.

There are smaller VC funded startups that are relatively unknown, but they are doing really interesting work. Nugit, 90 Seconds, TradeGecko and nuTonomy come to mind. However, they rarely hire fresh graduates. They offer 7-10K for senior engineers though.

2) Reputable software consultancies like ThoughtWorks (>4.5K) and Pivotal Labs (>4.5K). You will definitely learn how to make high-quality software during your stint there. They are hiring fresh graduates regularly as well. They put a lot of emphasis on pair programming though (some people may not like it). Decent work-life balance, although you may need to put in extra hours to catch up on the client’s tech stack. Well-defined career track as well, 7-10K is possible if you stay there long enough and get promoted to senior engineer.

3) Government digital services AKA GovTech (>4.5K). Taking a cue from their U.S. counterpart ([s://.usds.gov/[/), they are adopting a Silicon Valley attitude (think startup culture) to how they create software. Basically, they are like a software consulting arm for the SG government, developing products using agile methodology and evangelizing software engineering best practices to other government agencies. Also, there is Singapore Power, a stat board entity that is going digital, and is attracting a [URL="s://.techinasia.com/singapore-power-sau-sheong"]strong team of engineers[/.

Pretty much an iron rice bowl with a well-defined career track, except the work is not too interesting, although it can be meaningful to some people.

4) Acquired tech startups such as Viki (>5K), Zopim (>4.5K) and Redmart (>4.5K). They are independent subsidiaries who are not absorbed into the parent company post-acquisition. As such, they got the financial backing of a mature company and can continue to do interesting work independently. Their engineering teams are pretty lean with mostly senior engineers. They have a strong mentorship culture, which is great for fresh grads. Excellent work-life balance since they focus on the work you have done instead of hours worked, which means working hours are flexible.

5) Profitable startups such as PigeonLab (~5K) and ReferralCandy (>4K). Typically, these startups are bootstrapped without any/very little VC funding, yielding organic growth. This necessitates a lean engineering team, but they compensate their engineers very well. Good work-life balance with remote work option.

6) Reputable BigCorps building their own engineering teams right here on local soil. Google, Facebook, HomeAway and Skyscanner come to mind. Their pay should be pegged to Garena level, or slightly higher. For Google, HomeAway and Skyscanner, their engineering teams are focused on expanding its user base in SEA. Facebook’s team consists mostly of data engineers doing BI work and supporting its U.S. counterparts. Great work-life balance and benefits.

Also, to answer your question about prestige. For Google and Facebook, their interviews are standardised meaning the difficulty is similar to their U.S. counterparts. The salaries are much lower, however it’s still in the top percentile in Singapore which has a relatively lower COL and much lower tax. However, I still think it's more prestigious to work at their U.S. headquarters, as you can work on their core products or moonshot projects. For their APAC teams, their work is mostly restricted to support user growth in the region.

Lastly, the bottom line is, you have to be good to receive such offers. You cannot just waltz in and smoke your way to the offer stage. Those companies typically give tough technical interviews and you have to prepare for them for months beforehand. The job hunt is a mentally draining and time-consuming process too, sometimes with soul-crushing rejections.

Source: received multiple offers from the aforementioned companies and got friends working there.

multiple offers? which are the companies you received offers from?

Unregistered 27-02-2017 06:13 PM

Sorry to hijack thread, I am also a Comp Science grad with close to 1 year exp. currently in a startup.

I was approached by a headhunter and went for an interview with Lazada for a developer role for data systems. After the main interview, I told the HR that my expected salary is 6k (15% above what I am getting now), but the girl tell me this is above market.

She told me base on their market research, they cannot match my expected salary and ask me if basic salary ard 5.5k but higher bonus (she claim is 4-5mths, better than the 2 mths i'm getting now) whether I am willing to continue for further interviews.

Right now I just say willing to proceed, but want to check with other experience people in the industry how is the market rate like for 1-2 years relevant exp.

Unregistered 27-02-2017 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 95042)
Sorry to hijack thread, I am also a Comp Science grad with close to 1 year exp. currently in a startup.

I was approached by a headhunter and went for an interview with Lazada for a developer role for data systems. After the main interview, I told the HR that my expected salary is 6k (15% above what I am getting now), but the girl tell me this is above market.

She told me base on their market research, they cannot match my expected salary and ask me if basic salary ard 5.5k but higher bonus (she claim is 4-5mths, better than the 2 mths i'm getting now) whether I am willing to continue for further interviews.

Right now I just say willing to proceed, but want to check with other experience people in the industry how is the market rate like for 1-2 years relevant exp.

Wow... U got 5k+ with only about 1 year exp in a startup. Where did u find such a good deal

Unregistered 28-02-2017 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 95045)
Wow... U got 5k+ with only about 1 year exp in a startup. Where did u find such a good deal

I started off at 5k, which from what I understand is slightly higher due to it being a startup quite messy. Some of my friends in bigger companies get offered at 4.5k+ although their bonus and benefit sounds much better.

Unregistered 28-02-2017 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 95042)

For a junior engineer with no differentiating skill set, 6K is a bit of a reach. Assuming an optimistic 5 months bonus with 5.5K basic, your annual comp will be 93.5K which is 20K more than your current one. Sounds like a good deal to me.

There are also factors to consider such as work-life balance, team dynamics and how interesting your work is going to be.

i_stinks 24-09-2017 09:05 PM

How good is Skyscanner may I ask?

Unregistered 30-09-2017 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 94900)
Different poster here.

I think the OP was just being curious, cut him some slack.

Anyhow, from what I know, Apple and Google aren't as remotely as prestigious as their US counterparts. I don't know about engineering per se but I know they pay your standard run of the mill pay in Singapore ~$3k.

Highly misguided. Fresh grad in com science commands around 6k

i_stinks 30-09-2017 02:10 AM

Not sure about Google full time Singapore but Google internship in Singapore is very easy to get in. But many people do not know and never apply.

Unregistered 21-10-2017 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by i_stinks (Post 100391)
How good is Skyscanner may I ask?

Pretty good in terms of remuneration. Last time they were paying engineering interns the same salary as their full-time employees (3.5K+). The tech stack may be dated though.

Unregistered 21-10-2017 01:27 PM

3.5k for internship is great yes (Autodesk is around 2.5k since 2016/2017) but for full time is average.

Tech stack dated. Hmm it appears so hard to find a company where the tech stack is not dated.

Unregistered 03-11-2017 11:27 PM

Anyone got info on Agoda?

Unregistered 03-11-2017 11:43 PM

I have heard of fresh graduates getting >5k but are these the top students? You must be very good at programming to be paid that high.

Unregistered 05-11-2017 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 101461)
I have heard of fresh graduates getting >5k but are these the top students? You must be very good at programming to be paid that high.

Not really, above average can already. Most normal grads from CS are getting above 4k these days...

Unregistered 09-11-2017 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 101486)
Not really, above average can already. Most normal grads from CS are getting above 4k these days...

Do you have a source for such a statement? It's kind of a sweeping statement, much better if you have data to prove it..

Unregistered 09-11-2017 08:51 PM

Some GLCs and stat boards are offering 4.8k+ for FCH holders.

Unregistered 13-11-2017 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 101621)
Do you have a source for such a statement? It's kind of a sweeping statement, much better if you have data to prove it..

OP sounds salty. im not the same guy but here you go
https://www.moe.gov.sg/docs/default-.../files/nus.pdf

Unregistered 05-12-2017 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by i_stinks (Post 100560)
Not sure about Google full time Singapore but Google internship in Singapore is very easy to get in. But many people do not know and never apply.

What? How true is this?

Unregistered 28-12-2017 02:44 AM

Engineers in leading banks

Add-on Banks:

Former Goldman Sachs graduate engineer (NAPA programme).

Intern 4.58k per month
Full-time 1st year: 4.58k * 1.17(CPF cash comp if you're a foreigner)
7.5k signin bonus (return offer) + 15k relocation fee (Applied to foreigner, although I studied in SG)
2 months New York training staying at 5 star suite.
AIA standard insurance plan

I quitted it after a year because the tech stack is outdated and people in Singapore office are not as technical as its London and New York office.

I heard the base of 2018 NAPA programme will be increased to 70k/year from 55k/year. To be confirmed.

i_stinks 28-12-2017 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 102906)
What? How true is this?

Very true at least for 2017. My close friend got it easily.

zero_88 28-12-2017 12:42 PM

I am no honour Com Science student

the market rate for no honour student

is 3.5k for 2017

BUT if include my bonus +AWS

my monthly salary is 4k + monthly on average

Unregistered 28-12-2017 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zero_88 (Post 103433)
I am no honour Com Science student

the market rate for no honour student

is 3.5k for 2017

BUT if include my bonus +AWS

my monthly salary is 4k + monthly on average

I disagree with your mindset that grade matters much for CS jobs. I’ve seen so many honors degree holders can’t find a good job or can’t even pass first technical round. You should always remember software engineering is a hands on and fast paced job. My GPA is 2.78 and still can get into a 5.5k/month engineer job which has 5 rounds of technical interviews. Practice more, try to see, think, folk and contribute to GitHub and you can make it.

zero_88 28-12-2017 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 103436)
I disagree with your mindset that grade matters much for CS jobs. I’ve seen so many honors degree holders can’t find a good job or can’t even pass first technical round. You should always remember software engineering is a hands on and fast paced job. My GPA is 2.78 and still can get into a 5.5k/month engineer job which has 5 rounds of technical interviews. Practice more, try to see, think, folk and contribute to GitHub and you can make it.

haha I try and fail

I apply multiple programming job, can't even pass first round :o.....I mean the hackertrail technical test

I only know stackoverflow

Unregistered 31-12-2017 11:10 PM

Quote:

Sometimes, I wondering if I am overpaid. My salary is around 5k per month with 2 + years exp. They adjusted my pay to the complexity of my role in a startup env.(Multi-roles)

I enjoyed my software development role though...my gpa also not that fantastic....only 2.9

i_stinks 22-01-2018 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 103504)
Sometimes, I wondering if I am overpaid. My salary is around 5k per month with 2 + years exp. They adjusted my pay to the complexity of my role in a startup env.(Multi-roles)

I enjoyed my software development role though...my gpa also not that fantastic....only 2.9

What company you from?

chloise 09-02-2018 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by i_stinks (Post 103999)
What company you from?

I'm curious too

Unregistered 06-03-2018 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 101133)
3.5k for internship is great yes (Autodesk is around 2.5k since 2016/2017) but for full time is average.

Tech stack dated. Hmm it appears so hard to find a company where the tech stack is not dated.

Quite sure Autodesk does not pay that high for internship, at least for nus and ntu students, not sure about digipen. Was an intern there in 2016, was paid 1.3k per month and its the same for the batch before me.

Unregistered 06-03-2018 10:16 AM

Quote:

You get into CS with 2.78 GPA and paid 5.5k as a fresh graduate? That is amazing but seriously you might be just the <1% lucky ones without honors and still get 1st class honors pay. It is true that those without honors are not able to compete with those of better grades because CS and even private companies normally will not shortlist us for interviews.

FSD 09-03-2018 02:41 AM

Hi, been working for 2.5 years, am skilled in Java, Web and Android. Able to do databases, webservices, batch jobs, back-end, front-end. Is it realistic for me to ask for a 5k salary for a new job?

Thanks

synchron 09-03-2018 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FSD (Post 105486)
Hi, been working for 2.5 years, am skilled in Java, Web and Android. Able to do databases, webservices, batch jobs, back-end, front-end. Is it realistic for me to ask for a 5k salary for a new job?

Thanks

Many of my fresh grad peers are already receiving offers of 5k+, even 6k+
So yes, definitely. Probably even more. #knowyourworth

FSD 13-03-2018 01:23 AM

Quote:

Many of my fresh grad peers are already receiving offers of 5k+, even 6k+
So yes, definitely. Probably even more. #knowyourworth
Can you name the general companies or industries where they received 5k+ offers?

I keep looking on the typical job portals like Jobstreet, JobsDB, Indeed, but I generally don't see 5k offers for people with less than 5 years experience.

Most of the jobs that I can find for my scope and experience usually only pay around 3k - 4k.

Unregistered 13-03-2018 05:43 AM

grab,uber,rakuten,line and some startup pay 5-6k for fresh grads, their technical tests are pretty straightforward if you know your stuffs

Unregistered 14-03-2018 12:33 AM

The MNCs usually pay pretty well. I'm getting 10K/month as a solutions architect with total 6 years experience.