Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Aerospace Career advice (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/8440-aerospace-career-advice.html)

Reconist 19-01-2017 01:02 PM

Aerospace Career advice

Hi guys. I'm kinda new here was hoping you all can help me out.

I just graduated in november with a bachelor's in engineering mechanical, with little to no job experience. I'm in my late 20s now was hoping if anyone can guide me on progressing my career in the aerospace industry.

Advise like should i start my career as a technician with a salary of 1.8k eventhough i have a degree or should I seek something out of the aerospace industry for the mean time while i grow my work experience and finally land a job in the aerospace industry.

Thanks in advance for your guidance!

Unregistered 19-01-2017 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reconist (Post 93890)
Hi guys. I'm kinda new here was hoping you all can help me out.

I just graduated in november with a bachelor's in engineering mechanical, with little to no job experience. I'm in my late 20s now was hoping if anyone can guide me on progressing my career in the aerospace industry.

Advise like should i start my career as a technician with a salary of 1.8k eventhough i have a degree or should I seek something out of the aerospace industry for the mean time while i grow my work experience and finally land a job in the aerospace industry.

Thanks in advance for your guidance!

Where's your degree from? PT or FT? Campus or DL? Late 20s means like 28/29 years old?

Reconist 19-01-2017 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 93896)
Where's your degree from? PT or FT? Campus or DL? Late 20s means like 28/29 years old?

Degree from university of Newcastle.
FT.
Yes 28 this year.
Sorry what do you mean by campus or DL?

Unregistered 19-01-2017 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reconist (Post 93898)
Degree from university of Newcastle.
FT.
Yes 28 this year.
Sorry what do you mean by campus or DL?

Newcastle I assume is distance learning degree?

Generally for such degrees can either apply for fresh grad engineer role with SME or diploma level associate engineers with bigger co.

Pay level is ard 2.2-2.5k, try to apply as many as you can as the economy is not good and you will need many applications to secure 1 offer.

Reconist 19-01-2017 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 93899)
Newcastle I assume is distance learning degree?

Generally for such degrees can either apply for fresh grad engineer role with SME or diploma level associate engineers with bigger co.

Pay level is ard 2.2-2.5k, try to apply as many as you can as the economy is not good and you will need many applications to secure 1 offer.

Thanks for the feedback I'll try doing that. Didn't know the pay level would be so low. Mind if I ask, you're from the aerospace sector as well?

Unregistered 20-01-2017 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reconist (Post 93901)
Thanks for the feedback I'll try doing that. Didn't know the pay level would be so low. Mind if I ask, you're from the aerospace sector as well?

Used to be, but I have now moved on to banking industry. Aerospace is not doing well now, so you will need to be patient. For this type of generic pte distance learning degree most mncs and glcs do not consider them as proper degree, so at most they will hire you at slightly higher than dip unless you already proven yourself previously during internship with the co.

Reconist 20-01-2017 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 93905)
Used to be, but I have now moved on to banking industry. Aerospace is not doing well now, so you will need to be patient. For this type of generic pte distance learning degree most mncs and glcs do not consider them as proper degree, so at most they will hire you at slightly higher than dip unless you already proven yourself previously during internship with the co.

Hmm. I see what you're saying. Seems pretty sad that Aerospace has declined quite badly in Singapore. Thanks. Any line in engineering you might recommend?

Unregistered 21-01-2017 08:05 AM

i would suggest that you can try applying to smaller aerospace companies first. Such as ACE, Parker, Folker, etc.

check this out

://.singapore-companies-directory.com/Categories/singapore_aerospace.htm

Harder to get into the bigger MNCS in the beginning with your background but u have a chance if u take the alternative route.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reconist (Post 93901)

Unregistered 21-01-2017 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 93921)
i would suggest that you can try applying to smaller aerospace companies first. Such as ACE, Parker, Folker, etc.

check this out

://.singapore-companies-directory.com/Categories/singapore_aerospace.htm

Harder to get into the bigger MNCS in the beginning with your background but u have a chance if u take the alternative route.

was offered by parker before, in short typical stingy company trying to lowball salary. i was deg with 2+ years exp & they offered 2.5k despite i state clearly expectation was 3k.

Unregistered 22-01-2017 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 93931)
was offered by parker before, in short typical stingy company trying to lowball salary. i was deg with 2+ years exp & they offered 2.5k despite i state clearly expectation was 3k.

Most of these small/mid companies are like that. If given a choice of average candidate asking few hundred $ less than a good candidate, they will choose the average to save that small amount.