Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

am I underpaid?

Old 17-06-2010, 05:34 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Poly Lecturers salary often depend on the No of years industry experience that you have rather than how many degrees or part time teaching exp. 2K odd for part time poly lecturer is norm, but the private ones pays more (your 3k?)

For full time positions, entry level with at least 2 years of good experience (industry( and good academic records will get you 3 - 4K. That is the norm
Thanks for the reply...

I have always thought that the entry pay for a full time will be around 5K.

But considering the pay for the 10hr work load versus the 22 hour work load per week, isn't 1.7K a total rip off?

So for an entry level pay of 3-4K will get you to more than 100K/annum after a few years? There has been a couple of posts with poly lecturers getting that amount.

I'm seriously considering a career into this so any advice is much appreciated.

BTW, it's one of the local mainstream poly (I don't know any private ones... are there?)

Old 18-06-2010, 05:50 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Thanks for the reply...

I have always thought that the entry pay for a full time will be around 5K.

But considering the pay for the 10hr work load versus the 22 hour work load per week, isn't 1.7K a total rip off?

So for an entry level pay of 3-4K will get you to more than 100K/annum after a few years? There has been a couple of posts with poly lecturers getting that amount.

I'm seriously considering a career into this so any advice is much appreciated.

BTW, it's one of the local mainstream poly (I don't know any private ones... are there?)
2k odd, plus minus. 1.7k is on the low side actually, not a total rip off. You may ask for more but i doubt they will go beyond 2k.

Those 100k per annum are those positions in the section heads or senior lecturer. if you worked long enough to get in that position, then yes you will get 100k per annum. But just let you know poly teaching job is tough work. there are lots of other ad hoc duties besides teaching.

By private ones i meant those offered by PSB, MDIS etc

Old 19-06-2010, 01:06 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Sorry but what does BB stand for? :P i get FO as front office. Anyway i thought nowadays only those graduates who start of in consumer banking operations get a starting pay of like 2k/mth....

I started in SME banking ops as a contract staff earning only 1800/mth then 2k/mth after becoming a perm staff.

2k - 2.2k after moving to middle office
2.2k - 2.4k following year increment
2.4k - 2.9k after being retained after resigning
2.9k - 3.8k moving to another bank
3.8k - 4k increment for the following year
4k-4.4k moving to another bank.

So after 5 years since starting i have gone from 1.8k to 4.4k. still find it a tad low tho. So depending on what you are doing (especially if you know the job is of high value outside) just grit your teeth and take that shitty pay for at LEAST ONE year. Maybe 2 if you can just for the experience. After that you can jump ship easily especially if what you are doing is in high demand. People will just waive 20-30% increments at you to get you to come over.
BB is Bulge Bracket....

The term 'bulge bracket' frequently refers to the group of investment banks considered to be the largest and most profitable in the world.

i cant say much ... just that 1 yr seem bery long already ... i cant imagine 2... i feel like I have reach the end of the tunnel ....and there is no light...

sometime feel very suicidal..

I know of phd who wan my job and i get calls from head hunter so why am i still earning 1.6k

Old 20-06-2010, 04:03 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
BB is Bulge Bracket....

The term 'bulge bracket' frequently refers to the group of investment banks considered to be the largest and most profitable in the world.

i cant say much ... just that 1 yr seem bery long already ... i cant imagine 2... i feel like I have reach the end of the tunnel ....and there is no light...

sometime feel very suicidal..

I know of phd who wan my job and i get calls from head hunter so why am i still earning 1.6k
Instead of feeling sorry or bitter for yourself, why dont you just change a job and get the jump in salary? Even if it takes 2 jumps or more to reach your market rate, just do it. Otherwise, nothing will change. Period.
Old 27-06-2010, 01:18 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Instead of feeling sorry or bitter for yourself, why dont you just change a job and get the jump in salary? Even if it takes 2 jumps or more to reach your market rate, just do it. Otherwise, nothing will change. Period.
good advice...

i m resigning my job soon and just stone @ home....
Old 04-07-2010, 06:31 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I graduated from NTU in 2008 and I am 24 years old this year.

I worked in a shipyard as a marketing assistant after I graduated and I was making $2,200/month. I stayed in this job for 6 months and left as I felt I was not learning anything. I was made to photocopy, compile papers and put them into files mostly.

Now, I am working as a sales exec in a small semiconductor trading company and it has been 10 months. I get a basic pay of $2,000/month + commission. However, I still make less than $2,400/month plus commission. I work monday to friday 8.30 AM to 8.00PM.

Please advise if I am being underpaid or I just suck at what I do. My friends are getting paid at least $3,000 as a fresh graduate and they are not any different from me.

My Background:
I graduated from NTU Business (Marketing) - 2nd Lower. My grades are not fantastic, but not too bad as well, mostly Bs and some As (GPA: 3.8/5.0). I was quite active in school, participating in one exchange programme and one global summer studies programme.
You are very underpaid

Old 06-07-2010, 02:19 AM
Unregistered

Hi all,

I'm currently looking for a new job and wondering what is the market rate for market research/analyst position. I have 2 years of exp, graduated from NUS with a Bachelor degree in Science (statistics). For my previous job, I was paid 2.4k per mth but did not enjoy any benefits at all. Currently I'm asking for 2.8-3k but I'm not getting any responses from companies (if they r really offput by my expected salary) and one which I went for an interview said I'm asking for too much. So im wondering am I really asking for too much?

Thanks!
Old 06-07-2010, 03:39 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hi all,

I'm currently looking for a new job and wondering what is the market rate for market research/analyst position. I have 2 years of exp, graduated from NUS with a Bachelor degree in Science (statistics). For my previous job, I was paid 2.4k per mth but did not enjoy any benefits at all. Currently I'm asking for 2.8-3k but I'm not getting any responses from companies (if they r really offput by my expected salary) and one which I went for an interview said I'm asking for too much. So im wondering am I really asking for too much?

Thanks!
Market analyst in what industry?
Old 06-07-2010, 07:47 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Market analyst in what industry?
Previously was in FMCG industry. So far I've applied for FMCG, logistics, stat board.
Old 14-09-2010, 01:25 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Graduated with 2nd upper in NUS Engineering (biggest mistake of my life). Started as a Project Manager in an US MNC with 3.8K/mth in 2005. Quit in Jan 10 as I have enough of my 14 hours a day job. Was drawing close to 7K/mth when I left.

Currently, doing full time stock trading. Average 4~5k/Mth. I'm joining a brokage soon as a dealer, salary 2.5K/mth + commission.

I believe strongly in passion. You gotta have passion in what you do and the money will come.
Hi, I'm always impressed by individuals who have the mettle to be home traders, and perform well consistently.

I did think of trying home trading, but 'fear' is holding me back. Thus far, I am only an intermediate term investor, basing my decisions on relative valuation. Any pointers on how I should trade to get impressive returns like yours so consistently?

I feel I am also relatively underpaid. Joined civil service during the recession drawing 3.3k. My annual increment was just $170+ even though I got a B performance grade. Now drawing 3.7k after a civil service pay revision, but feel it's peanuts compared to peers with the same calibre.