Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

How much are you earning per annum?

Old 01-12-2015, 10:01 AM

overtherainbow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
You should save and invest as much as possible.

In order to save a lot, you should not buy a car and don't spend your hard earned money partying. Always pay your bills in full. Find a wife who is not demanding and who doesn't splurge on expensive things. Avoid dating women carrying branded bags and wearing expensive clothes. Surely, they are spendthrift.

To save more, buy food from hawker centres, drink coffee from the office coffee machine and avoid unhealthy food.
What crap advice.. I earn similiar to my spouse and am a spendthrift, but I also contribute to the household expenses well. Also because I am rather demanding, I keep up with my partner in terms of earning power so we have equal say.
I would say find a partner willing to share your expenses and is understanding and ambitous enough for a good life. Not budget like above. Life is too short to waste it like this. To each its own. If you are used to a frugal lifestyle and know your earning capacity is low.. then by all means stick to a budget lifestyle as well

Old 01-12-2015, 10:10 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by overtherainbow View Post
What crap advice.. I earn similiar to my spouse and am a spendthrift, but I also contribute to the household expenses well. Also because I am rather demanding, I keep up with my partner in terms of earning power so we have equal say.
I would say find a partner willing to share your expenses and is understanding and ambitous enough for a good life. Not budget like above. Life is too short to waste it like this. To each its own. If you are used to a frugal lifestyle and know your earning capacity is low.. then by all means stick to a budget lifestyle as well
Thanks for the wise advice. How much do you contribute to your household expenses? 50%, 40% or 30%? Do you share your mortgage payments equally with your hubby as well?

Old 01-12-2015, 11:13 AM

overtherainbow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thanks for the wise advice. How much do you contribute to your household expenses? 50%, 40% or 30%? Do you share your mortgage payments equally with your hubby as well?
If you have an equal earning partner, yes. My CPF contribution equal my spouse's we max the contribuution every month to try to clear the debt as much as possible. Its a bank loan as its a private condo.
Both of us drive, so we have equal responsibilities when the kids need ferry or family need transport. I am responsible for some bills in the house and spouse is as well. Bottomline is as an equal earner, we make decisons together, I mean big item decisions. and this overall helps build a strong relationship. So one day if one of us is out of job, each can support one another. You never know when your health or job may fail you and you need the other for support. (financial and moral)

In the alternate universe, if my partner earns considerable lesser and is very thrifty, which is also a good thing. The burden on the sole bread winner is very stressful. Not to mention as the lower paid spouse, decisions and judgement tend to be made by the breadwinner alone.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:15 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
To save more, buy food from hawker centres, drink coffee from the office coffee machine and avoid unhealthy food.
I disagree buying food from hawker centres to save more. Most hawker food are unhealthy, if you eat on a daily basis for long term, your health will suffer and you will see hefty medical bills when you reach 40-60s.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:32 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
I disagree buying food from hawker centres to save more. Most hawker food are unhealthy, if you eat on a daily basis for long term, your health will suffer and you will see hefty medical bills when you reach 40-60s.
So, is eating at restaurants healthier?
Old 01-12-2015, 12:16 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
So, is eating at restaurants healthier?
Home cooked food is healthier. You can control your salt, oil and sugar amount.

There is no point talking about how much you earn per annum if you are unhealthy.

Old 01-12-2015, 12:23 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
By 2019, I think COE prices will reach $150k at least. So, it is best to change to a new car now even if your car is not yet 10 years old. Those cars registered in 2009 should be sold now since COE in 2009 was very, very low and now these car still have good value. So, with demand coming from owners of cars which are 10 year old cars and younger as well as from new buyers wanting to avoid the expected spike in 2018-2020 due to the expected drought, demand for new cars will rise now. Those who bought their new cars recently are smart. Huat Ah!
What's the point of continuously talking about COE when you don't advertise your company and your name/contact? Even if you manage to persuade me to want a new car, how can I get your services and enrich you?

I'm really curious who you are, and how you look. Please let me have the chance to give you commission. You will not regret.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:02 PM
Unregistered

I, for one, believe that if you want to save more, go and earn more. Living frugally is not the solution. Earning more is. There is only so much you can save if you dont earn much.

Looking back at our savings history, we started with zero savings in the initial years, then it was $50k pa, then $100K pa, etc. To cut the story short, we now consistently save above $300k pa. Our expenses stabilised somewhat at $120k pa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by overtherainbow View Post
If you have an equal earning partner, yes. My CPF contribution equal my spouse's we max the contribuution every month to try to clear the debt as much as possible. Its a bank loan as its a private condo.
Both of us drive, so we have equal responsibilities when the kids need ferry or family need transport. I am responsible for some bills in the house and spouse is as well. Bottomline is as an equal earner, we make decisons together, I mean big item decisions. and this overall helps build a strong relationship. So one day if one of us is out of job, each can support one another. You never know when your health or job may fail you and you need the other for support. (financial and moral)

In the alternate universe, if my partner earns considerable lesser and is very thrifty, which is also a good thing. The burden on the sole bread winner is very stressful. Not to mention as the lower paid spouse, decisions and judgement tend to be made by the breadwinner alone.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:08 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I, for one, believe that if you want to save more, go and earn more. Living frugally is not the solution. Earning more is. There is only so much you can save if you dont earn much.

Looking back at our savings history, we started with zero savings in the initial years, then it was $50k pa, then $100K pa, etc. To cut the story short, we now consistently save above $300k pa. Our expenses stabilised somewhat at $120k pa.
So correct!
Old 01-12-2015, 02:14 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

What if I know earning more is a solution but I simply cannot increase my earning? Is it as simple as turning on a tap and my earning will flow?

You advice is as good as asking the 100m sprint runner-up to beat the champion by running faster.