How much are you earning per annum? - Page 499 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

How much are you earning per annum?

Old 02-08-2014, 09:15 PM
Unregistered

Thumbs down

So you tell people to invest in stocks to make 5% yield, but you don't share your know how or stock picks or analysis approach, sites to read. But you say very easy one, since so easy we ask you what to invest then you turn around and say why should you share?

And you expect people to take your advise seriously with their life savings??

KNN talking sh*t!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
can easily name 10, but why should i share?
Quote:
With your amount of combined income, and assuming you have no other loan except your mortgage, you are under leveraged. Your MSR is less than 30%.

Some people choose not to be corporate slaves by doing their own business or adjusting their lifestyle. In your case, you have $1.5m equity in your home. If you sell your condo and pay off your mortgage, you have $1.5m cash. You then can buy a $400k HDB flat paid in full and still have $1.1m cash which can generate a return of 5% or $55k pa dividend. You can then grow this dividend until it exceeds your family expenses, then you will be financially independent and no longer need to be corporate slaves.

Someone here managed to earn a passive income of $100k and their expenses are only $60k pa and they are now no longer in the rat race at 55. Plan your way out of this rat race. You don't want to drop dead at your desk at 65 in your rat cubicle.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:47 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
So you tell people to invest in stocks to make 5% yield, but you don't share your know how or stock picks or analysis approach, sites to read. But you say very easy one, since so easy we ask you what to invest then you turn around and say why should you share?

And you expect people to take your advise seriously with their life savings??

KNN talking sh*t!
This takes the prize for the most stupidest post here....

Old 03-08-2014, 12:50 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Yeap, a lot of clowns here. You get some tips here and you bet all your life savings?

Old 03-08-2014, 12:57 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
He is just asking the guy to substantiate his advise, if he has 10 stocks in mind whats the harm in divulging a few? Unless he can't of course.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:51 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
He is just asking the guy to substantiate his advise, if he has 10 stocks in mind whats the harm in divulging a few? Unless he can't of course.
I think he didn't ask nicely, see his last sentence.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:02 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
52, senior executive, single income 300kpa, 2 teens children. Net worth 2.8m, home is a executive hdb (~600k) and driving a old jap car. Invested in a wide profolio, except in property and shares, generating about 60k dividends. Should I be investing more aggressively, taking more risk for higher returns? Like to seek the gurus view.
This is one of the better case of prudent saving and down to earth lifestyle. With his income, a high-end german car is easily within his reach. 60k from 2.2m investible asset is not too bad considering the FED low interest policy. Don't listen to those here boasting of 6% dividends equity, some will be giving higher but is is not easy to pick the winners in a volatile stock market, unless you are WB, of course. Wait for the market to correct and you know what they say "Buy When There's Blood In The Streets".

Old 03-08-2014, 01:33 PM
Unregistered

Couple, 38 & 45, with 3 kids, total income 133k pa. Home is a 5 room exec, worth 650k with loan outstanding 100k. Savings and cpf, 600k. Thought of upgrading to a condo but decided to stay in flat. Drives a Korean 4 yr old car. Happy with our lives, esp since we have a loving family.
Old 03-08-2014, 04:25 PM
Unregistered

Default Wealth is anti-dote for office stress

There is no end to the debate whether the rich or the poor is happier. People on both sides of the debate tended to see things at the extremes and treat wealth and happiness as mutually exclusive. We all know this is not so in real life. The rich can be happy, just as the poor can also find happiness in non fiduciary aspects.

For me, believe it or not, every time I have a bad at the office, I will come home, take a look at my little excel sheet detailing my investments, net worth and passive income, and I will be at peace.

More than a decade ago when I found myself at a cross road in my career, it dawn on me that I better not just depend on my job for income. That was when I started investing in earnest. It helped that my wife was a career woman. Together our combined income allowed us to consistently save and invest every year. Our dividend income was very modest at the beginning and now we are getting $40k per year (give or take a thousand or two year on year).

To spread our risk, we also invested in a condo for rental income generating another $45.6k per year (gross). On top of that, we are also getting interest from our CPF of about $20K per year. We cannot draw out the CPF interest as we are not yet 55, but the thought of having yearly interest coming in has a very calming effect for us.

We were looking forward to retiring by 55, but not so now. Each time we reviewed our net worth and investment income, we get this satisfied and happy feeling that we will be alright. We joked that it has become the anti-dote to office stress.

So I guess my point is, building up your wealth can be a good thing if you take a positive mindset to it, and not be overly obsessed by it.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:04 PM
Unregistered

Thanks for sharing. My wife and I both have this ambition not to work our whole lives till 65. When we got married we set our target to be financially independent by the time we hit 50 so that we could retire early. We tried our best and managed to grow our wealth and also our passive income. Today at 54, we have achieved our goal (off by 4 years though). We paid off our penthouse mortgage and cleared our loans. Our portfolio now generates an annual passive income of $145k pa. Our expenses nowadays have stabilised at $90k pa. We will be retiring next year.

Quote:
There is no end to the debate whether the rich or the poor is happier. People on both sides of the debate tended to see things at the extremes and treat wealth and happiness as mutually exclusive. We all know this is not so in real life. The rich can be happy, just as the poor can also find happiness in non fiduciary aspects.

For me, believe it or not, every time I have a bad at the office, I will come home, take a look at my little excel sheet detailing my investments, net worth and passive income, and I will be at peace.

More than a decade ago when I found myself at a cross road in my career, it dawn on me that I better not just depend on my job for income. That was when I started investing in earnest. It helped that my wife was a career woman. Together our combined income allowed us to consistently save and invest every year. Our dividend income was very modest at the beginning and now we are getting $40k per year (give or take a thousand or two year on year).

To spread our risk, we also invested in a condo for rental income generating another $45.6k per year (gross). On top of that, we are also getting interest from our CPF of about $20K per year. We cannot draw out the CPF interest as we are not yet 55, but the thought of having yearly interest coming in has a very calming effect for us.

We were looking forward to retiring by 55, but not so now. Each time we reviewed our net worth and investment income, we get this satisfied and happy feeling that we will be alright. We joked that it has become the anti-dote to office stress.

So I guess my point is, building up your wealth can be a good thing if you take a positive mindset to it, and not be overly obsessed by it.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:22 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
52, senior executive, single income 300kpa, 2 teens children. Net worth 2.8m, home is a executive hdb (~600k) and driving a old jap car. Invested in a wide profolio, except in property and shares, generating about 60k dividends. Should I be investing more aggressively, taking more risk for higher returns? Like to seek the gurus view.
Well done, you are financially prudent. You should maintain staying in public housing, it may not be safe for you to buy a condo which typically requires a combined income of $400k pa to be safe to buy a condo. Some more, you are the only one working. At your age, you can be retrenched any time since you are expensive. In fact you should consider downgrading to a 3 room HDB flat so that you have more money in hand. So, if you got retrenched, you have enough money to survive. Don't take high risk at your age, it's too late. Be prepared for retrenchment any time.