How much are you earning per annum? - Page 374 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

How much are you earning per annum?

Old 06-03-2014, 02:46 PM
Unregistered

Are you going to choose your course based on that? Of course there are, but it doesn't mean anything....

Old 06-03-2014, 03:39 PM
Unregistered

it really pisses me off when i pple making >100k pa whine abt being "middle class"

go screw urself okay ?

median income in SG is 55k pa

Old 06-03-2014, 03:45 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
it really pisses me off when i pple making >100k pa whine abt being "middle class"

go screw urself okay ?

there are people here who sees graduates in their 40s who make $100k pa as low income.

Old 06-03-2014, 05:23 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
there are people here who sees graduates in their 40s who make $100k pa as low income.
Real low wage earners will not have the time to come to this forum to post silly nonsense, they will be busy making a living.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:59 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

go screw urself okay ?

that's how they strive to be richer. never be satisfied. or in Steve Jobs' words, stay foolish stay hungry.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:04 PM
Unregistered

I came across this forum by chance and read the many stories shared here. I’m inspired to share my own story and hope it will provide some lessons for many here, especially the young adults who just started their career.

I came from a middle income family and lived in a HDB flat, like many Singaporeans. From young, I knew I wanted to excel in my life. I listened to my parents and teachers and studied diligently. I did very well in the PSLE and was among the top 10% of my cohort. I got into a top secondary school and subsequently went to a top JC. I got into to the local university and finally got a good honours degree. I had a great job after graduation and progressed in my career. I moved to different companies which opened up new opportunities.

Life was excellent, so I thought. It came crumbling down two years ago. I had to quit my last job due to reasons I do not want to discuss here. I tried everything I could to get a new job but at the age of 47 and being in a senior role before, it was impossible to get one. I was too experienced and in most cases, I sensed the younger hiring managers were insecure.

Finally, I had no choice but to downgrade from my terrace house, which I bought many years earlier using my big bonuses, to a condo. I cleared my car loan, personal loans and all other obligations. I then set up a personal investment fund using my life savings and the net cash from the sale of my terrace. My family is understanding and gave me their full support. My wife is very supportive of my new direction and she is happy that I am now at home more often and able to help her with raising our children. In the past, most of the household duties and taking care of the children were done by her because of my late working hours and overseas travels. Now, these duties are shared. I am now a very active, caring father. My wife is also delighted that I’m able to send and fetch her from work every day. She no longer has to travel on public transport, which was a real chore to her. This new situation makes my wife less tired, less stressed, less worried, more relaxed and more energised.

Financially, we are managing well. We are now debt free and I am earning $75,000 pa from dividends and trading gains. My wife has an annual salary of $105,000. We now earn $180,000 pa in total. Our expenditures are reduced significantly as there is no more loan and mortgage repayments and we are now more prudent in our purchases. Now our shared expenditure is only about $120,000 pa, a lot lesser than it used to be. Even though we spend less on things, we now experience a richer family life. We are in fact a lot happier than before.

Interestingly, I am now a millionaire whereas in the past, I was not because the definition of a millionaire is someone who has more than US$1 mil of investible assets and this excludes his primary home. In the past, my terrace house was worth a lot but I still had an outstanding mortgage and was living in it, so it was not taken into consideration as an investible asset. Now, I own a condo which is fully paid up and I have an investment portfolio worth more than US$1 mil.

Life is indeed a box of chocolate. I have never been so happy. I no longer need to report to a boss every morning and I am free to enjoy my condominium’s facilities any time. I am my own boss. My family loves me more because I am spending more time with them. Our quality of life is much higher. I am living a blessed life.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:22 AM

Sam Adams is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I came across this forum by chance and read the many stories shared here. I’m inspired to share my own story and hope it will provide some lessons for many here, especially the young adults who just started their career.

I came from a middle income family and lived in a HDB flat, like many Singaporeans. From young, I knew I wanted to excel in my life. I listened to my parents and teachers and studied diligently. I did very well in the PSLE and was among the top 10% of my cohort. I got into a top secondary school and subsequently went to a top JC. I got into to the local university and finally got a good honours degree. I had a great job after graduation and progressed in my career. I moved to different companies which opened up new opportunities.

Life was excellent, so I thought. It came crumbling down two years ago. I had to quit my last job due to reasons I do not want to discuss here. I tried everything I could to get a new job but at the age of 47 and being in a senior role before, it was impossible to get one. I was too experienced and in most cases, I sensed the younger hiring managers were insecure.

Finally, I had no choice but to downgrade from my terrace house, which I bought many years earlier using my big bonuses, to a condo. I cleared my car loan, personal loans and all other obligations. I then set up a personal investment fund using my life savings and the net cash from the sale of my terrace. My family is understanding and gave me their full support. My wife is very supportive of my new direction and she is happy that I am now at home more often and able to help her with raising our children. In the past, most of the household duties and taking care of the children were done by her because of my late working hours and overseas travels. Now, these duties are shared. I am now a very active, caring father. My wife is also delighted that I’m able to send and fetch her from work every day. She no longer has to travel on public transport, which was a real chore to her. This new situation makes my wife less tired, less stressed, less worried, more relaxed and more energised.

Financially, we are managing well. We are now debt free and I am earning $75,000 pa from dividends and trading gains. My wife has an annual salary of $105,000. We now earn $180,000 pa in total. Our expenditures are reduced significantly as there is no more loan and mortgage repayments and we are now more prudent in our purchases. Now our shared expenditure is only about $120,000 pa, a lot lesser than it used to be. Even though we spend less on things, we now experience a richer family life. We are in fact a lot happier than before.

Interestingly, I am now a millionaire whereas in the past, I was not because the definition of a millionaire is someone who has more than US$1 mil of investible assets and this excludes his primary home. In the past, my terrace house was worth a lot but I still had an outstanding mortgage and was living in it, so it was not taken into consideration as an investible asset. Now, I own a condo which is fully paid up and I have an investment portfolio worth more than US$1 mil.

Life is indeed a box of chocolate. I have never been so happy. I no longer need to report to a boss every morning and I am free to enjoy my condominium’s facilities any time. I am my own boss. My family loves me more because I am spending more time with them. Our quality of life is much higher. I am living a blessed life.
Kudos!!!!!!!
Old 07-03-2014, 10:29 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Are you going to choose your course based on that? Of course there are, but it doesn't mean anything....
I would say not solely based on that but definitely it is one of my considerations. What do you mean by it doesnt mean anything? Btw anyone here who as taken sociology or psychology here in Uni and has progress on to be earning and above average income of min $8000. Would like to get a feel of what progressions i would have if i were to take these bachelor's from our local unis. Thanks!
Old 07-03-2014, 10:37 AM

Sam Adams is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I would say not solely based on that but definitely it is one of my considerations. What do you mean by it doesnt mean anything? Btw anyone here who as taken sociology or psychology here in Uni and has progress on to be earning and above average income of min $8000. Would like to get a feel of what progressions i would have if i were to take these bachelor's from our local unis. Thanks!
it doesnt mean anything because just cause some people have doesnt mean you will, just cause nobody has doesnt mean you cant.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:41 PM
Unregistered

I think there are too simply many guys who have quit work and who invest and take care of kids at home while the wife is out there slogging away. It can't be and it's against nature.

I think ITS THE SAME GUY POSTING OVER AND OVER to justify his unfortunate position.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app