Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

How much are you earning per annum?

Old 31-07-2013, 12:12 AM
Verified Member

Dark_flan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I am the one who posted the previous entry. I must say 100k these days are really the norm. Among my circle of friends, i`m considered average only. There are amounts i heard (which i woundn't reveal here) that are obscene to even mention.

Whatever it is, be close to money if you like money. Do sales engineering, banking, trading, O&G, O&M, etc. You will see for yourselves the sweet reality. Nevertheless, be sure to like what you are doing as the pursue for money will definitely run you down one day.
Well sometimes it's about luck and the people you met so anything is possible. Well not really $$ minded. But the world is all about money.. Ha anyway I'm not really complaining. Got car (debt free, now so expensive!!), roof over my head and good amount of savings. What more to expect. Well recently started my investment planning and also undergoing further studies. See where it takes me..

Old 31-07-2013, 12:16 AM
Verified Member

Dark_flan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Where did you look?
The only means to get that figure is either sales (properties) or maybe broker... investment related or own boss?? Else what else.. Cannot think of anymore positive job.. Ha joking.

Old 31-07-2013, 05:44 PM
Unregistered

Every now and then we will get a doubter. People doubt because they don't have the facts, not exposed to people of wealth and high income, and don't earn high income themselves.

Using the kind of car a person drive to gauge his income level & wealth is a big NO. Many senior people in civil service and even stat boards are not inclined to own big flashy European cars for good reason. Many earn $200k to $300k pa or more if they are directors or CEO level. So if a CEO only drives a Teana or Camry, you think their staff will go and drive a BMW or big Merz? Very few would do that, and it would not be because they cannot afford it.

I am not saying many people are rich, but it is important to recognize there are. All it takes is for a few of them to post here. $100k pa for up and coming young (early 30s to mid 30s) executives are indeed the norm. By their 40s they could be smelling $200k. Some of these people will still be staying in HDB and driving their faithful and reliable toyota, Nissan or Honda.

Quote:
Believing the salary posted here is like believing that god exists.
It's up to your faith.

I propose a simple test to yourself. Ask yourself:

how many people earn that kind of salary? Just look at your boss and guess how much he/she earns and how many years it took for them? Look at your neighbors. I think that should give you a rough estimate of the incoming of your peers.
What does the statistics show?
What are the tax rate groups, why do you think they are structured in such a way?
How many people you know works in bank's front office or O&G? For those you know, what kind of life are they living?
How many percentage of each job market is represented here versus the distribution of jobs in Singapore?
Who are most likely to post anonymous and what would they gain by doing so?
What proof do these people who boasted high salary have to show for?

Old 31-07-2013, 06:45 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Every now and then we will get a doubter. People doubt because they don't have the facts, not exposed to people of wealth and high income, and don't earn high income themselves.

Using the kind of car a person drive to gauge his income level & wealth is a big NO. Many senior people in civil service and even stat boards are not inclined to own big flashy European cars for good reason. Many earn $200k to $300k pa or more if they are directors or CEO level. So if a CEO only drives a Teana or Camry, you think their staff will go and drive a BMW or big Merz? Very few would do that, and it would not be because they cannot afford it.

I am not saying many people are rich, but it is important to recognize there are. All it takes is for a few of them to post here. $100k pa for up and coming young (early 30s to mid 30s) executives are indeed the norm. By their 40s they could be smelling $200k. Some of these people will still be staying in HDB and driving their faithful and reliable toyota, Nissan or Honda.
$200-300k is just mid level manager in most mncs and jr VPs in banks, lots of ppl are at this level so not sure what the fuss is abt.
Old 31-07-2013, 08:09 PM
Unregistered

With so many people earning $300k pa, no wonder many are living in $2m condos. If you don't live in a $2m condo, you are not there yet.
Old 31-07-2013, 08:46 PM
Unregistered

Oh believe me, there are some people who stay in HDB are so there! They have arrived but not showy. They drive their old faithful Japanese cars till the COE is up and then buy yet another Japanese car.

One of the reasons for this seemingly paradoxical behavior could be that these people are guided by a higher purpose, and driving fancy European cars and living in posh houses are just not their cup of tea. But rich they are. When they pass on, they would be donating their millions to charitable causes.

Quote:
With so many people earning $300k pa, no wonder many are living in $2m condos. If you don't live in a $2m condo, you are not there yet.

Old 31-07-2013, 09:03 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Oh believe me, there are some people who stay in HDB are so there! They have arrived but not showy. They drive their old faithful Japanese cars till the COE is up and then buy yet another Japanese car.

One of the reasons for this seemingly paradoxical behavior could be that these people are guided by a higher purpose, and driving fancy European cars and living in posh houses are just not their cup of tea. But rich they are. When they pass on, they would be donating their millions to charitable causes.
Yeah and the reason you know this is because they humbly "accidentally showed off" to you

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 31-07-2013, 09:12 PM
Unregistered

There is no need to show to myself

Quote:
Yeah and the reason you know this is because they humbly "accidentally showed off" to you
Old 01-08-2013, 09:42 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
There is no need to show to myself
Guy above ask a valid question. You claimed earlier that you know of people who have a humble life in HDB and lousy car but are actually very rich, he was just asking how you know that? Humble people do not go about telling others they are humble and actually very rich.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:52 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Guy above ask a valid question. You claimed earlier that you know of people who have a humble life in HDB and lousy car but are actually very rich, he was just asking how you know that? Humble people do not go about telling others they are humble and actually very rich.
It's possible. I know people who are rich, and yet they are very humble, drive simple cars, live simple lives. You know they are rich, because of the investments they make (multiple condos), but they are for investment, not for living.

I guess it's about the value of money to you. Some people value people around them rather than $$. They understand that $$ is important because it is your livelihood. Without $$, you standard of living will drop. But relationships are more important because those $$ can buy. And those relationships that $$ can buy, are not worth ****.

For myself, I am 35 years old, earning 150K per year.

But I drive a toyota. COE so expensive, and now with the 50% downpayment, it's crazy.

I rather do other investments with my money, than to enrich the government.

And family is super important to me, job is just a means to get $$ to support my family.

I guess it all boils down to where your priority lies.