Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

How much are you earning per annum?

Old 25-02-2012, 01:05 PM

Bean is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
In 1990s, government massively expanded nus/ntu engineering places, ST wrote glory reports of S$5k pay of young semiconductor grads with OT. They lured many 3As students into engineering. Today, many of these engineering grads are no longer in engineering line. Many became taxi drivers, property agents, insurance agents, MLN marketers.

In early 2000s, government said life sci is the next big thing. You know what happen now that mr yeo said these grads are only qualified to wash test tubes without phd.

every decade has its share of fools - i m one of them,hahaha
in my friend's 2005 batch 2nd upper female in TECH semicon start at 2.9k with with OT at $22-26/hr, if can clock max OT a month, each month can hit 6k+....but is no life.....

Old 26-02-2012, 08:14 AM

Anonymous is on a distinguished road

Quote:
In 1990s, government massively expanded nus/ntu engineering places, ST wrote glory reports of S$5k pay of young semiconductor grads with OT. They lured many 3As students into engineering. Today, many of these engineering grads are no longer in engineering line. Many became taxi drivers, property agents, insurance agents, MLN marketers.

In early 2000s, government said life sci is the next big thing. You know what happen now that mr yeo said these grads are only qualified to wash test tubes without phd.

every decade has its share of fools - i m one of them,hahaha
hmm... well there wasn't really a misrepresentation on the first point in the sense that people who go into semicon do make that kind of money. I have quite a number of friends who used to be in the line. in the end they left due to career stagnation, unhappiness with the job, or retrenchment.

To the government, there was a need to fill such job vacancies as it was trying to bring these tech MNCs here. Too often, they don't realize that most of the engineering jobs are really process/service engineering. Can't really expect them to pay much more (to the dissatisfaction of local engineers). Sometimes I wonder if polytechnic engineers would have sufficed. I also wonder if the sector is already slowing down.

Life sciences - I never really believed that this would really take off here. I say this because life sciences R&D is even more upstream than semi-con tech. If we didn't manage to do the tech/knowledge transfer and move upstream for semi-con after all these years, how would we expect this to happen in a large scale for life sciences? I simply don't think we have the requisite conditions to cultivate R&D. We need a critical mass of our best local minds working in this sector and to do this they have to be paid very well, comparable to best paying jobs. I said local because that would help anchor the industry and improve knowledge retention. Somehow I don't trust foreigners to do the research for us. I simply don't think they are motivated to improve our country's technology. Do you see them genuinely making an effort to groom our local research talent? That is putting aside the fact that most of those here aren't even the best. Even if they were successful, most of them would simply leave for greener pastures. Moreover, they won't and can't serve as an inspiration for local scientists. We need them here to make up numbers for now but eventually we ought to rely on our own scientists to do the work -IF we really want this sector to thrive here. We also need these foreign companies to be willing to transfer their technology to us. Our local scientists need to have the leeway to explore new ideas. All these aren't happening and I don't expect any changes any time soon. In the mean time, our best minds are going for medicine, banking and law for obvious reasons.

Try to do a switch if you don't have many commitments. I'm doing the same by via further studies.

Last edited by Anonymous; 26-02-2012 at 08:16 AM.
Old 26-02-2012, 12:00 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post

Do you see them genuinely making an effort to groom our local research talent?
Do you see ANYONE genuinely making an effort to groom any citizen at all?

Old 26-02-2012, 12:45 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
hmm... well there wasn't really a misrepresentation on the first point in the sense that people who go into semicon do make that kind of money. I have quite a number of friends who used to be in the line. in the end they left due to career stagnation, unhappiness with the job, or retrenchment.

To the government, there was a need to fill such job vacancies as it was trying to bring these tech MNCs here. Too often, they don't realize that most of the engineering jobs are really process/service engineering. Can't really expect them to pay much more (to the dissatisfaction of local engineers). Sometimes I wonder if polytechnic engineers would have sufficed. I also wonder if the sector is already slowing down.

Life sciences - I never really believed that this would really take off here. I say this because life sciences R&D is even more upstream than semi-con tech. If we didn't manage to do the tech/knowledge transfer and move upstream for semi-con after all these years, how would we expect this to happen in a large scale for life sciences? I simply don't think we have the requisite conditions to cultivate R&D. We need a critical mass of our best local minds working in this sector and to do this they have to be paid very well, comparable to best paying jobs. I said local because that would help anchor the industry and improve knowledge retention. Somehow I don't trust foreigners to do the research for us. I simply don't think they are motivated to improve our country's technology. Do you see them genuinely making an effort to groom our local research talent? That is putting aside the fact that most of those here aren't even the best. Even if they were successful, most of them would simply leave for greener pastures. Moreover, they won't and can't serve as an inspiration for local scientists. We need them here to make up numbers for now but eventually we ought to rely on our own scientists to do the work -IF we really want this sector to thrive here. We also need these foreign companies to be willing to transfer their technology to us. Our local scientists need to have the leeway to explore new ideas. All these aren't happening and I don't expect any changes any time soon. In the mean time, our best minds are going for medicine, banking and law for obvious reasons.

Try to do a switch if you don't have many commitments. I'm doing the same by via further studies.
Great insights, I am sure every engineer (who hasnt left his/her profession) in this forum agrees with you. I am graduating from engineering from nus this july, I am tempted to apply to civil service/statutory board as they pay a good starting salary to engineering hons 2nd upper with NS. Should I work for them since private sector engineering jobs are dead-end by age 40?
Old 26-02-2012, 01:16 PM

Bean is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Great insights, I am sure every engineer (who hasnt left his/her profession) in this forum agrees with you. I am graduating from engineering from nus this july, I am tempted to apply to civil service/statutory board as they pay a good starting salary to engineering hons 2nd upper with NS. Should I work for them since private sector engineering jobs are dead-end by age 40?
QFT, Engineering grad are better off in civil service/statutory board than be an engineer in the private sector.

I am a good example, 2nd lower NTU mech, and close to 5 years exp in GLC(consider private sector)....will only getting $38xx by this july...

While a PASS degree join civil service same close to 5 exp as me, already getting $4k-4.5k already...

See the differences
Old 26-02-2012, 11:26 PM

Quote:
You will need to ask yourself 2 things: what do you like to do, and how much pay are you comfortable with? Don't worry so much about the starting pay. Focus more on how much you can make in the long run.

You could read the civil service salary thread to get a rough sense of how much you can earn in service. Payscale, trajectory and CEP info are all there. You might also want to find out more about other industries as well. If you're not keen, I don't suggest you go for engineering.

Old 26-02-2012, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Do you see ANYONE genuinely making an effort to groom any citizen at all?
Yes I have. I'm one of them.
Old 27-02-2012, 12:16 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Yes I have. I'm one of them.
You're being groomed or you're grooming someone?
Old 05-03-2012, 12:57 AM
Unregistered

Condo cleaner
2k per month
Old 06-03-2012, 03:26 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean View Post
QFT, Engineering grad are better off in civil service/statutory board than be an engineer in the private sector.

I am a good example, 2nd lower NTU mech, and close to 5 years exp in GLC(consider private sector)....will only getting $38xx by this july...

While a PASS degree join civil service same close to 5 exp as me, already getting $4k-4.5k already...

See the differences
hi Bean what GLC are u in ?

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app