Old 30-01-2012, 12:14 AM
Unregistered

o&g sector (commercial side)
28~29yo
100k over 13 mths
ngee ann poly diploma

Old 30-01-2012, 09:31 PM
Unregistered

Recently got approached to join the corporate finance team of a local listed company. (Industry: Oil & Gas) Anyone have any comments/advice?

Job scope:
1. Evaluate M&A opportunities
2. Manage debt/equity raising/loan refinancing
3. Evaluate projects / Provide financial analysis whenever necessary
4. May need to assist CFO in other tasks (except stat accounting)
5. May need to help out Investor Relations whenever necessary
6. Main contact point/manage banking relationships (include discussions on cashflow hedging, debt refinancing, eskrow/project accounts etc)

Is it going to be an easier life than what I am doing now ? (junior-mid level in Corp Fin team at an offshore IB) Have been in banking line for 5 years. Started off 3 years in Corp banking roles before moving to IB. Currently drawing S$150k base.

Old 31-01-2012, 12:34 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Recently got approached to join the corporate finance team of a local listed company. (Industry: Oil & Gas) Anyone have any comments/advice?

Job scope:
1. Evaluate M&A opportunities
2. Manage debt/equity raising/loan refinancing
3. Evaluate projects / Provide financial analysis whenever necessary
4. May need to assist CFO in other tasks (except stat accounting)
5. May need to help out Investor Relations whenever necessary
6. Main contact point/manage banking relationships (include discussions on cashflow hedging, debt refinancing, eskrow/project accounts etc)

Is it going to be an easier life than what I am doing now ? (junior-mid level in Corp Fin team at an offshore IB) Have been in banking line for 5 years. Started off 3 years in Corp banking roles before moving to IB. Currently drawing S$150k base.
If your IB is top-tier in Commodities i.e. JPM, GS, MS or even standchartered, I would stay. Exposure is more much better, and learning curve much steeper on IB side via more clients projects and international experience. And much better pay as your contribution to the IB wallet/revenues is much bigger.

I seriously doubt a local listed firm has the clout to grow into a much bigger player, at most regional level. The landscape is pretty dominated by China and India oil players with much deeper pockets for growth.

Of course being on the corporate side is nice in the sense that the bankers will treat you like a king e.g. bring you to nice Chicago Morton dinner, then KTV with beautiful SYT hosts, etc...

Old 01-02-2012, 07:06 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
Basic $391k
Transport $44k
Allowance $10.4k
Bonus $117k (condition - revenue equal or > budget)
Stock options $50k (3 yrs vesting)

40 yrs old, VP Apac in travel industry
Your annual package is equals to my 10 years pay!!

40 yrs old in stat board. Should have studied harder when young man....
Old 01-02-2012, 07:25 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Your annual package is equals to my 10 years pay!!

40 yrs old in stat board. Should have studied harder when young man....
Wrong mentality.

Studying hard gets you no where. In fact, I venture to say that the more street-smart poly grads are actually financially better off than their JC peers at their peaks. Why? The smart poly grads will work in SME - think construction, aircon servicing, yakun, small restaurants - and then venture out on their own. The JC peeps will play safe and hold on dearly to their jobs. Only a handful will make 200-300k. The poly towkays easily make 1m a year.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:18 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Wrong mentality.

Studying hard gets you no where. In fact, I venture to say that the more street-smart poly grads are actually financially better off than their JC peers at their peaks. Why? The smart poly grads will work in SME - think construction, aircon servicing, yakun, small restaurants - and then venture out on their own. The JC peeps will play safe and hold on dearly to their jobs. Only a handful will make 200-300k. The poly towkays easily make 1m a year.
So have you told your kids that you feel no need to not send them to university?? I'm sure they love you to death becos they will be more successful than people who received higher tertiary education... Hope they dun kick you out on the streets when you are old... ha,ha...

Old 01-02-2012, 09:07 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
So have you told your kids that you feel no need to not send them to university?? I'm sure they love you to death becos they will be more successful than people who received higher tertiary education... Hope they dun kick you out on the streets when you are old... ha,ha...
I wouldn't dismiss the other poster out of hand because i have observed a similar phenomena.

In my army days, we were in a frontline vocation which was considered somewhat 'garang' ... or at least we were brainwashed into believing so. The specs and the officers were from the poly batch while the men were JC batch. We had selected the men with the best results both academically and in ippt. There were a good many govt scholars in the batch and a heavy majority got ippt gold.

What was evident in army days was that the personality of the poly group was v different from the jc group. For instance, if u told the poly group not to do something , they'd either sneak away to do it while u are not ard or find a loophole in your instructions to do what they want, and then spread the word on how to circumvent the instructions . The jc batch, on the other hand, would not only adhere to instructions to the letter, but would also help keep everyone else in line.

Now, 10 plus years have passed and its interesting to note how their careers have panned out . For the jc batch, many are in steady govt jobs like reporters, teachers, researchers. A couple have soared in govt service as they got prestigious scholarships and have performed well. The poly group has a more disparate experience. Most went on to get their degrees. A few have become v rich via insurance, a few started their own businesses and have done v well, some work for mncs and are now drawing in excess of $10 to 15k per month (via multiple job switches) others are in govt or sme jobs. On balance, there is no doubt that the poly batch has done better than the jc batch since ord.

I was from jc (tho i ended up w the poly intake in army) so i hv no bias here, and i share the above as an interesting empirical observation. Am i saying poly prepares u better for life? No. What i am saying is, eithin my life experience, i have seen evidence of a poly group do considerably better than a top jc group of the same vintage.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:00 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
I think you. Are missing the point. The point is it is not about education. It is about attitude.
You need to have the drive an dattitude to succeed. If my son know exactly what he wants and he is driven to achieve it I will support him. Education is to develop him intellectually. It doesn't have to be linked to how much you earn.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:01 AM
Unregistered

Senior consultant
4 years work experience 130 k base + additional 25% in bonus.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:07 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
I wouldn't dismiss the other poster out of hand because i have observed a similar phenomena.

In my army days, we were in a frontline vocation which was considered somewhat 'garang' ... or at least we were brainwashed into believing so. The specs and the officers were from the poly batch while the men were JC batch. We had selected the men with the best results both academically and in ippt. There were a good many govt scholars in the batch and a heavy majority got ippt gold.

What was evident in army days was that the personality of the poly group was v different from the jc group. For instance, if u told the poly group not to do something , they'd either sneak away to do it while u are not ard or find a loophole in your instructions to do what they want, and then spread the word on how to circumvent the instructions . The jc batch, on the other hand, would not only adhere to instructions to the letter, but would also help keep everyone else in line.

Now, 10 plus years have passed and its interesting to note how their careers have panned out . For the jc batch, many are in steady govt jobs like reporters, teachers, researchers. A couple have soared in govt service as they got prestigious scholarships and have performed well. The poly group has a more disparate experience. Most went on to get their degrees. A few have become v rich via insurance, a few started their own businesses and have done v well, some work for mncs and are now drawing in excess of $10 to 15k per month (via multiple job switches) others are in govt or sme jobs. On balance, there is no doubt that the poly batch has done better than the jc batch since ord.

I was from jc (tho i ended up w the poly intake in army) so i hv no bias here, and i share the above as an interesting empirical observation. Am i saying poly prepares u better for life? No. What i am saying is, eithin my life experience, i have seen evidence of a poly group do considerably better than a top jc group of the same vintage.
狗急跳墙

When you don't have a path you will make one. Jc grad and uni grad have a stable path for them.

I know those ah beng in hp shop earning more then 10 k a month.