Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

How much are you earning per annum?

Old 21-04-2020, 10:15 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetaimak View Post
Wa so envious of all your salaries~ I worked for 6-7 years, F, with a post grad deg, only drawing 60-ish (depending on bonus) p.a. Maybe cause I started with audit where starting pay then was about mid 2k.
Don't believe anything you see here, I have yet to see an anonymised payslip or IRAS tax return to verify any of the claims made here.

Basically, divide everything by 10.

Old 21-04-2020, 10:44 AM
Verified Member

meetaimak is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Don't believe anything you see here, I have yet to see an anonymised payslip or IRAS tax return to verify any of the claims made here.

Hahaha it gives me some inspiration and hope to work towards, though slightly demoralising cause I am not on par with people of similar backgrounds. Divide by 10 so much ah!

Old 21-04-2020, 11:30 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

Like I mentioned before, there are trollers and delusional posters.

But I would not be too quick to dismiss some of the high salaries and networth numbers posted here. Those who know, know.

Very top income earners especially those working in listed companies and public service may have no choice but have their salaries and their names published. But below that top layer, there are many more that earned upwards of $300k a year and who would want their names and salaries published for all & sundry?

Some would choose to come to forums anonymously to share or boast about their income without exposing themselves.

So some of the postings are believable.

Old 21-04-2020, 11:38 AM
Unregistered

Doing IT Tech Sales in MNC, 15 years exp, Masters degree.

$217k base + RSUs - s://.investopedia.com/terms/r/restricted-stock-unit.asp

Last month payslip - s://i.ibb.co/z65Ljjr/Screenshot-2020-04-21-at-11-21-27-AM.png
Old 21-04-2020, 12:05 PM
Unregistered

Default Always be a kind person.

Hi bros.. for this period, free $300 credit to use for online shopping and groceries stock up. This was forwarded to me and I just want to benefit anyone. Better to apply today, incase the code run out. Can send to ur love ones too. Link: citibank.com.sg/gcb/credit-card-promo/COMM.html?scode=SR9CC19U&ecid=cadg
Old 27-04-2020, 02:49 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

Agree. But that being said, I think there are a lot of ppl making a lot of money you don't think possible, until you reach there and you realize it is actually not a big deal.

When I was making <100K a year, I was impressed with myself when I got past 100K/yr. Thought I was very successful. Then when got to 200K/yr, I was like I am a superstar. But really then I began to open my eyes that that are many others making that and much more - inconspicuously. Folks making >1MM (usually own their own biz) a year can drive a toyota, wear normal clothes, and I know a few of them. Big income is more common than you think, and I would tend to believe them.

Old 29-04-2020, 10:59 AM
Unregistered

Default Annual Salary of an Average Engineering

I am 36 this year, been an engineer in the construction industry since I graduated at 25. Noticed there isnt much posting of an engineers salary. Hence, I decided to shed some light and hope people can make more informed decisions before joining the trade.

25-27 at Company A - Around 2.7 k a month w/ 6 months bonus, annual around 48k
27 -29 at Company B - Around 3.5 k a month w/ 2 months bonus, annual around 48 k
29 -31 at Company C - Around 4.2 k a month w/ 1 month bonus, annual around 55 k
31 - 32 at Company D - Around 5 k a month w/ 2 months bonus, annual around 70 k
32-35 at Company E - Around 5.5 k a month w 2 months bonus, annual around 77 k

I pretty much jumped from company to company very frequently to keep increasing my pay, and I realised that working for someone else isnt going to make much of a fortune.

I decided to come out on my own at 36, and am projected in making around 120 k this year, despite COVID-19. I just started to gain traction and I think I can probably pull in more in future.

All I want to say is if you want to make money fast and climb the ladder up high, its probably advisable to go into the finance field or other field, engineering is one of the slowest way to grow your wealth and even going entrepreneurial in engineering won't really make a bucket of money.

My Opinion of Engineering:

Pros: Stable, Can work until very old as there is not much age discrimination in engineering, in fact age can somehow add value in the engineering and construction industry.

Cons: Low starting salary, slow wage progression, lack of recognition from others ( we are always associated with cheap foreign labour, which is true and we are often competing against the cheaper guys from china, Malaysia, Philippines, India, Myanmar the list goes on which probably explains the low wage)

I hope my post do help people make informed decisions before considering stepping into engineering and construction.
Old 29-04-2020, 04:56 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
That's a decent salary, married / single? I am 30 (turning 31 this year) earning 4k take home...

Supporting family as an only child, unable to find local girl who can accept my salary
Well, it depends. In 2017, I dated my then gf and I was earning only 3k; She was earning almost 6x my salary. Reason being cos I switched industry and job function.
We dated for a year and got married and now have a baby.

So I do believe there are girls out there who don't only look at a guy's pay, but his values and character. Or at least that is why I think my wife is with me
Old 29-04-2020, 05:07 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetaimak View Post
Wa so envious of all your salaries~ I worked for 6-7 years, F, with a post grad deg, only drawing 60-ish (depending on bonus) p.a. Maybe cause I started with audit where starting pay then was about mid 2k.
Actually it has more to do with the industry, networking and a bit of luck. My wife was an auditor with one of the big 4. She left as an AM and joined a bank. Within 10years, she managed to climb her way up from 80k to 230k (including 2.5mths bonus).

I believe you can do it too with a bit of upskilling, networking and luck.
Old 29-04-2020, 05:14 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I have been happily married for over 30 years. Our two kids have graduated and are now working.

My wife and I stayed in the same halls at NUS. When we first started work 35 years ago, our salary were about the same and for some a few years, our salaries grew almost in tandem. When I went overseas to get a Masters degree, she quit her job to follow me and look after our children who were just 4 and 1 yo.

Because of that sacrifice, when we returned and my wife re-joined the workforce, her salary growth trajectory was affected. While my salary growth trajectory was quite steep (accompanying a few promotions along the way) her salary increment each year was very modest. A few years later, she went for her Masters degree and earned a promotion as well.
Our combined earned income is currently $500k pa and another $200k pa of passive income.

So is it good to marry a capable wife? Answer is a resounding yes. A capable wife :
1 keeps you on your toes,
2 challenges you to constantly improve yourself,
3. can hold meaningful debates on current affairs and other important matters
4. helps you cover "blind spots" in decision making whether in investment, career moves etc..
5. can help home tutuor your children all the way to uni. Both our kids dont have external tuition.
6. accelerates your wealth build up (my wife played a big part in our $200k pa passive income)
7 have a good network of equally capable friends that together can enhance your knowledge as well as in important contacts
8. removes the stress of being the sole bread winner in the family
9. brings with her, her own rich experience of work and life to enhance yours
10 can help contibute significantly in big investments like property purchases, stocks and others.

I count my blessings daily for a full and happy life, and my capable wife plays a huge part in it.

An important caveat here. If you are not able to match up to your wife's intellect, work ethic, capability and ambition, you will be very miserable. For example if you are a laid back bum with little ambition, you should know what kind of women to avoid in marriage.
Agree with you. I too married a capable wife and it is because of her, I am where I am today. But definitely, characters and personality plays a role. If you want a simple life, then go with a simple girl.

FYI, I am the guy who's then gf earned 6x my salary. As of today after 4 years, I managed to shorten the gap to 1.5x. Aiming to overtake her in 4yrs time. Haaa.

Our combined income is now 400k and we are both late 30s.