Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   How much are you earning per annum? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/831-how-much-you-earning-per-annum.html)

Unregistered 30-04-2016 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 84710)
When do you retire?

It's up to you, depending on your retirement lifestyle and where you choose to retire.

If you don't have anymore dependents, then you can retire as long as your finances is ok.

If you decide to retire in luxury, with a maid, doing your household chores and you own a luxury car and you go holidays to Europe twice a year, you eat at restaurants everyday, then your wealth must be enough to finance all these. So if you need to spend $200k pa for this luxurious lifestyle, and assuming you live for 25 years in retirement, you will need $5m.

However, if you lead a humble retirement lifestyle, staying in a hdb flat (can enjoy rebates), no maid, no car and you do your own household chores, then you don't need so much. You may just need $3k pm or $36k pa or $900k over 25 years (assuming you can adjust spending to manage inflation, eg. buy cheaper brands.)

If you retire in JB, you don't need much. You can rent out your 5 room hdb flat for $2.5k and get RM7k pm. With this, you can retire with your wife in a 2 room condo in JB, own a car and can go travelling in the region.

Cost of renting a 2 room condo in JB is only RM1k pm. So if you have no dependents, and if your hdb flat is fully paid up, you can retire easily and enjoy life. The most you need is RM4k pm to live comfortably in JB for two retired persons. So, don't worry, be happy.

Your calculation wrong lah. One year need 200k, 25 years need 5 mil? This kind of calculation grossly overestimate the amount needed as it ignores the return generated by the 5mil every year.

Unregistered 30-04-2016 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 84718)
Your calculation wrong lah. One year need 200k, 25 years need 5 mil? This kind of calculation grossly overestimate the amount needed as it ignores the return generated by the 5mil every year.

how much investment risk can u tolerate during ur retirement? high returns come with high risk which may not be suitable for most retirees. so most retirees have to settle for lower return low risk/risk-free investment. factoring in inflation, the net return is probably close to 0. how is that grossly overestimate?

Unregistered 30-04-2016 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 84714)
Each year I need to be reminded to file our income tax. While we bemoan having to pay tax, we were also glad that we have income! That means we have jobs and that the salary was high enough to attract income tax.

For as long as I remember, my own income tax was above $20k per year. My wife's tax was much less. As I am on the giro payment scheme, I don't feel the pain as much.

But after each filing, I will still wince in "pain" when I see what I had to pay. This year, I will have to pay $29k in income tax. This was after I have made several donations (eg the NUS 110th year celebration, church welfare societies etc) that attracted 3x tax deduction.

The monthly giro payment of about $2500 to income tax meant that our monthly family expense exceeds $12,000 per month or about $150k per year plus/minus.

When we retire, and with no more income tax, and with just 1 car, and children working, I estimated that our household expense will drop to $8k per month, well within our passive income.

This posters essays never fails to amuse me.... You can see the writing pattern. subtly boastful.

Unregistered 30-04-2016 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 84720)
This posters essays never fails to amuse me.... You can see the writing pattern. subtly boastful.

Subtle meh? Hahahaha

Unregistered 30-04-2016 05:52 PM

I am a professional liar.
I earn 15k+ per month excluding bonuses.
In a year, I get around 100k bonus.

I am 32 this year.

Unregistered 30-04-2016 10:27 PM

Lifestyle of wealthy Singaporeans

I have always wondered about the lifestyle of the wealthy in Singapore. I have driven past big bungalows with swimming pools, top end condos that can cost upwards of $8m each and other big landed properties and wondered who are these people who lived in them and what their lives are like.

No, I am not referring to those whose networth is below $10m, because I think their lifestyles would not be much different from the masses, except maybe they have 2 to 3 conti cars, stay in terrace houses or condos.

I am referring to those whose networth is above $50m. I don't have the good fortune of knowing someone in this networth group well enough to be invited into their homes or their social circles. The below article gave a hint of their lifestyle:

"The Affluent Insights 2015 HNWI (High Net-Worth Individuals) Luxury Study that was reported in The Straits Times in November 2015, detailing the discretionary spending of the wealthy – of which, 40 percent is attributed to travelling (which includes tickets, accommodation and the whole travel experience), 10 percent on entertainment, 8 percent on designer clothing and accessories, and only 5 percent on cars.

The survey also indicated that 60 percent of the wealthy preferred shopping overseas than in Singapore, with many choosing to head to specific destinations for their shopping purposes. So it was not a surprise for me when I discovered a June 2015 Visa survey, which revealed that affluent Singaporeans go for an average of three holidays a year, and many choose to splurge on their trips, opting for luxury holidays."

And I understand that when these people travel, the whole family fly business class no less. As a friend once said to me "how to spend money when money comes in faster than you can spend?"

Unregistered 01-05-2016 08:04 AM

40yr old couple local grads
Combined gross income $300PA before bonus.
To put things in perspective, when we started working around 15yrs ago, it was like 60k PA combined

Income grew as we get raises/promotions/job changes over the years. We got lucky.
Expenses grew as we married, bought our home and car and had kids. And of course the cost of living in SG has been going up over last decade.

Probably our income will stay around current level and then start to decline as we become the "old" workers as we approach 50yr old.

This is of course peanuts compared to the many high income earners posting in this forum ;)

Unregistered 01-05-2016 10:07 AM

Fire

I came across this acronym "FIRE" often in the financial blogosphere. It stands for Financial Independence Retire Early. Many young Singaporean financial bloggers also blogged about their plans and roadmap to achieve FIRE. Some of them aimed to achieve FIRE by age 35!

While I admire their determination and actions taken to achieve FIRE, I worry for them when those plans and actions involved cutting down expenses to the bone. They still have a long way to go in life and life has a way of throwing up "curved balls" along your way. So planning your retirement or financial independence based on what you see in the present time is not a good way to know what you might need to cater for in the distant future. For eg., as a young person or young family, you may think that you could survive on $3k a month and you decide to "retire" once your passive income can cover this amount, you will be in for a very rude shock a few years down the road when you see your expenses creep beyond your passive income not just because of inflation, but because of growing needs as you get older.

I don't advocate retiring from work that early in life, especially before 55. Is working really that bad? Working, besides giving you a life sustaining income, also enlarges your social circle, provides different experiences and exposures and equips you with some professional skills.

FIRE does not apply to me anymore as I am already 56. But the idea of being financially independent is attractive at any age. It gives us options.

I started investing in shares the moment I got my first pay check. At time, the motivation was to make my savings grow, but little did I know then that it was the start of a passive income source. Now, 30+ years later, this one source of income (shares) is providing us a passive income of $50k pa. Together with 2 other sources of passive income, we are currently deriving passive incomes in excess of $120k pa.

I would advise my younger colleagues to achieve FI without the RE. And not to blindly achieve FI by cutting down expenses to the bone, but cutting down only the frivolous expenses.

Unregistered 01-05-2016 10:31 AM

We are in our late 40s, with a total earnings of $168k pa. We live in a three bedroom condo which has no mortgage. Now the condo is worth $980k. We own a two year old car which we paid in full cash.

We are now embarking on our retirement journey. We plan to retire at 60, which means we have about 12 years to prepare for it.

Here is our plan:

1. Save $35k pa cash for retirement, which means we save $420k cash over 12 years.
2. Spend on average $3.5k pm or $42k pa or $210k over 5 years from age 60 to 65.
3. At age 65, our Enhanced CPF Life will pay us $3600 pm in total (two persons).
4. Buy annuities with cash, giving us $700 pm, for life.
5. Our filial children will give us $200 pm from each of them (not much as we don't want to burden them). Total = 2 x $200 = $400 pm.
6. So our total passive income from 65 = $4700 pm or $56.4k pa.
7. We retire in place in our condo. Our children and grandchildren can enjoy the condo facilities every weekend. We get to see them every weekend.
8. No need to employ maid as we will do our own simple household chores. This is also a form of light exercise for us. And to keep our mind active.
9. No need car as our condo is near bus stop and an MRT station.
10. Holidays during non peak seasons, 2 times a year.
11. Total expenses $4k pm or $48k pa.
12. Total savings $8.4k pa.

Retirement routine and activities (healthy ageing):

1. Workout in the condo gym.
2. Swimming in the condo swimming pool.
3. Play tennis in the condo tennis court.
4. Walk at nature parks. Explore all the many nature parks in Singapore.
5. Volunteer at charities.
6. Attend health and wellness talks.
7. Participate in activities at community centres.
8. Reading lots of books and learn new knowledge.
9. Watching TV and movies.
10. Holidays.
11. Household chores.
12. Grocery shopping.
13. Cooking.
14. Learn new recipes.
15. Trading stocks.
16. Bring grandchildren to the zoo, bird park, science centre, museums, etc.
17. Take care of grandchildren, when necessary, to help out our busy children.
18. Many more activities.

Retirement is not boring.

If you are a boring person now, then your retirement will be boring.

Unregistered 02-05-2016 08:02 AM

Thanks for sharing. You have a good retirement plan. You're lucky that you're able to retire in your condo. Many people may sell their condo and downgrade to a hdb flat when they retire as they want to get some cash. Owning a condo and retiring in it is a very big accomplishment in Singapore. Well done, young man!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 84775)
We are in our late 40s, with a total earnings of $168k pa. We live in a three bedroom condo which has no mortgage. Now the condo is worth $980k. We own a two year old car which we paid in full cash.

We are now embarking on our retirement journey. We plan to retire at 60, which means we have about 12 years to prepare for it.

Here is our plan:

1. Save $35k pa cash for retirement, which means we save $420k cash over 12 years.
2. Spend on average $3.5k pm or $42k pa or $210k over 5 years from age 60 to 65.
3. At age 65, our Enhanced CPF Life will pay us $3600 pm in total (two persons).
4. Buy annuities with cash, giving us $700 pm, for life.
5. Our filial children will give us $200 pm from each of them (not much as we don't want to burden them). Total = 2 x $200 = $400 pm.
6. So our total passive income from 65 = $4700 pm or $56.4k pa.
7. We retire in place in our condo. Our children and grandchildren can enjoy the condo facilities every weekend. We get to see them every weekend.
8. No need to employ maid as we will do our own simple household chores. This is also a form of light exercise for us. And to keep our mind active.
9. No need car as our condo is near bus stop and an MRT station.
10. Holidays during non peak seasons, 2 times a year.
11. Total expenses $4k pm or $48k pa.
12. Total savings $8.4k pa.

Retirement routine and activities (healthy ageing):

1. Workout in the condo gym.
2. Swimming in the condo swimming pool.
3. Play tennis in the condo tennis court.
4. Walk at nature parks. Explore all the many nature parks in Singapore.
5. Volunteer at charities.
6. Attend health and wellness talks.
7. Participate in activities at community centres.
8. Reading lots of books and learn new knowledge.
9. Watching TV and movies.
10. Holidays.
11. Household chores.
12. Grocery shopping.
13. Cooking.
14. Learn new recipes.
15. Trading stocks.
16. Bring grandchildren to the zoo, bird park, science centre, museums, etc.
17. Take care of grandchildren, when necessary, to help out our busy children.
18. Many more activities.

Retirement is not boring.

If you are a boring person now, then your retirement will be boring.