How much are you earning per annum? - Page 763 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




How much are you earning per annum?

 Citibank Cash Back Card - up to $350 cash back* - Click to Apply Now 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #7621 (permalink)  
Old 17-05-2015, 04:52 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I see many rich posters here. Most people are however not as rich as these people. A typical family here lives in a hdb flat, owns a small car, dual income and earns a total of $90k pa.

How much do we really need in retirement?
Today, if your hdb flat is paid up, you don't drive, these are what you need for you and wife per month

1. Food and groceries (eat hawker food and home cooked food) $600
2. Utilities $100
3. Public transport (no taxi) (with senior concession) $50
4. Medical insurance $400
5. Medical expenses $100
6. Donations $50
7. Holidays $200
8. Miscellaneous $300

Total $1800 per month or $21,600 pa

So you don't need so much.

Reply With Quote
  #7622 (permalink)  
Old 17-05-2015, 06:33 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I see many rich posters here. Most people are however not as rich as these people. A typical family here lives in a hdb flat, owns a small car, dual income and earns a total of $90k pa.

How much do we really need in retirement?
Today, if your hdb flat is paid up, you don't drive, these are what you need for you and wife per month

1. Food and groceries (eat hawker food and home cooked food) $600
2. Utilities $100
3. Public transport (no taxi) (with senior concession) $50
4. Medical insurance $400
5. Medical expenses $100
6. Donations $50
7. Holidays $200
8. Miscellaneous $300

Total $1800 per month or $21,600 pa

So you don't need so much.
This one year expense is easily earned by the forumers whose HH income is $30k pm but super stressful.

Reply With Quote
  #7623 (permalink)  
Old 17-05-2015, 07:05 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
This one year expense is easily earned by the forumers whose HH income is $30k pm but super stressful.
This kind of jobs sure die young. Either heart attack or some diseases. Max 60 years old. That's why the super high flying, super stressed bankers who make tons of money retire in their 40s. Super smart and super successful guys.

Reply With Quote
  #7624 (permalink)  
Old 17-05-2015, 08:00 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

30k HH income is actually not that difficult for double income families who are relatively well educated.

Let's take a 48 y.o couple.

If Husband is a Director at a stat board and wife is a Snr Mgr or DD at a GLC, then the husband should be drawing about 11k a month and wife is about 9k

With bonuses of about 5 months including AWS, that is 20k x 18months = 360k.
Reply With Quote
  #7625 (permalink)  
Old 17-05-2015, 10:49 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
30k HH income is actually not that difficult for double income families who are relatively well educated.

Let's take a 48 y.o couple.

If Husband is a Director at a stat board and wife is a Snr Mgr or DD at a GLC, then the husband should be drawing about 11k a month and wife is about 9k

With bonuses of about 5 months including AWS, that is 20k x 18months = 360k.
Wow. That's a lot of money. They are likely to own more than one property and more than one car.

No wonder COE is still high. Next week bidding will escalate further.

Huat ah!
Reply With Quote
  #7626 (permalink)  
Old 17-05-2015, 11:17 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Very enlightening post. Makes me wonder why some people with passive income of $100k pa still thinks this is not enough. I think the problem is not the amount be their greed and attachment to this world. Attachment to wealth, status, pride, ego. A truly rich person is one with less needs, no need for status, wealth, pride and ego.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I see many rich posters here. Most people are however not as rich as these people. A typical family here lives in a hdb flat, owns a small car, dual income and earns a total of $90k pa.

How much do we really need in retirement?
Today, if your hdb flat is paid up, you don't drive, these are what you need for you and wife per month

1. Food and groceries (eat hawker food and home cooked food) $600
2. Utilities $100
3. Public transport (no taxi) (with senior concession) $50
4. Medical insurance $400
5. Medical expenses $100
6. Donations $50
7. Holidays $200
8. Miscellaneous $300

Total $1800 per month or $21,600 pa

So you don't need so much.
Reply With Quote

  #7627 (permalink)  
Old 17-05-2015, 11:57 PM
Fiery
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Retail

32 years old
Assistant Sales Manager
50k-60k pa

My wife is 26 years old making 50k pa
We have a six-year-old kid and a humble HDB flat to live in comfort while planning to build on our portfolio for long term financial security. Just dunno where to start from though, anyone can share some good advice?


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iPhone


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #7628 (permalink)  
Old 18-05-2015, 03:02 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Very enlightening post. Makes me wonder why some people with passive income of $100k pa still thinks this is not enough. I think the problem is not the amount be their greed and attachment to this world. Attachment to wealth, status, pride, ego. A truly rich person is one with less needs, no need for status, wealth, pride and ego.
My Conti car yearly depreciation already $20k/year.
Enough to use that to retire simply if I don't drive a car right?
Reply With Quote
  #7629 (permalink)  
Old 18-05-2015, 07:41 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Stress comes about when a person is not well matched to job, regardless how high or how low his pay is. If a person does not have the skill, personality and the capability to handle a certain job, he will be stressed out.

Contrary to what people think, many top earners are there because they have what it takes to be at the top positions. They have the drive, leadership qualities and the skills to get there and maintain their positions. And these people, after earning their millions, will continue to contribute as advisors or consultants well into their late 60s.

On the other hand, if you do not have the right skillset, drive nor personality, you will be stressed out even at a not-so-high paying job. For eg., the guy earning $150k a year said he is very stressed out by his job, but $150k pa is not that much! There are posters here who can save $350k pa! Top bankers, lawyers, doctors and other specialists earned more than a $1m each year. Are they stressed? Yes, but I think they can handle it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
This kind of jobs sure die young. Either heart attack or some diseases. Max 60 years old. That's why the super high flying, super stressed bankers who make tons of money retire in their 40s. Super smart and super successful guys.
Reply With Quote
  #7630 (permalink)  
Old 18-05-2015, 09:12 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiery View Post
32 years old
Assistant Sales Manager
50k-60k pa

My wife is 26 years old making 50k pa
We have a six-year-old kid and a humble HDB flat to live in comfort while planning to build on our portfolio for long term financial security. Just dunno where to start from though, anyone can share some good advice?
Wife 26 kid 6 yo. Your wife married you at 19? Having college education? Fantastic for her to earn 50k. Believe she must be doing her own business.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
bond, bond breaking, income pa, lawyer, saf

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Industries with Highest Proportion Earning 5-Figure Monthly Income Salary.sg Income and Jobs 23 06-08-2017 05:46 PM
Lawyer earning $25k/mth forged $65k payslip to get job Salary.sg Income and Jobs 2 30-12-2011 02:42 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,293 Replies, 909,146 Views
Submitting My Resume To ST... ( 1 2 3)
22 Replies, 22,422 Views
Job offer from Apple ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
462 Replies, 88,210 Views
Sign On After 30? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
34 Replies, 3,025 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,113 Replies, 5,589,876 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
385 Replies, 251,300 Views
DBS Management Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,788 Replies, 273,135 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
161 Replies, 76,822 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,192 Replies, 972,146 Views
Queries about Cpib application ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,091 Replies, 500,635 Views
Tax ( 1 2)
14 Replies, 3,607 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,623 Replies, 2,616,589 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,298 Replies, 1,909,729 Views
Ceca
2 Replies, 258 Views
Changi Airport Group ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
378 Replies, 335,122 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,668 Replies, 1,609,274 Views
Feeling helpless, need advice... ( 1 2)
11 Replies, 952 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,916 Replies, 1,086,378 Views
Anyone being hired during covid... ( 1 2)
19 Replies, 1,629 Views
anyone working at NCS ? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
395 Replies, 288,086 Views
How much do you earn and save? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
103 Replies, 14,347 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
688 Replies, 212,128 Views
Mid-Year Civil Servant Bonus 2019 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,633 Replies, 784,428 Views
What's the graduate officer... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
54 Replies, 13,230 Views
Possible to earn passive income... ( 1 2)
15 Replies, 4,202 Views
Anyone working in NTU... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
91 Replies, 92,881 Views
AML/Compliance/KYC professionals... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,380 Replies, 565,377 Views
Please Share DBS Average Months... ( 1 2)
17 Replies, 3,256 Views
Sharing my Passive and Active...
2 Replies, 569 Views
where can i buy nintendo stock?
6 Replies, 3,453 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 09:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2