Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

How much are you earning per annum?

Old 02-05-2015, 08:43 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
You are very lucky. I'm around your age but my performance is not as great as yours. Our total income is only $110k pa. We live in a 5 room HDB flat only and our car is 5 years old. You are very smart in investing but we don't know and don't dare to invest so we didn't lose nor gain. In a way this was good for us as many of our friends and relatives lost a lot of money in playing stocks. Our net worth is only $800k in total.
Good morning.

What you can also do now is to downgrade from a 5 room flat to a 4 room flat so that upon retirement at 65, you can do the lease buyback scheme. In this way you get monthly income from the lease buyback plus your CPF Life payouts. If you get say $1000 pm from the lease buyback, $3500 pm from CPF Life and $1000 pm from your two children, thus you will get $5500 pm or $66k pa in total.

If you want to retire in luxury, you can rent out your whole 5 room flat when you retire and get $3k pm in rental income. So your passive income will be $3500 pm from CPF Life, $3000 pm in rental income and $1000 pm from children and thus in total $7500 pm or $90k pa. Then you convert to RM to get RM243k pa. You can retire in luxury in KL, plus you can even save.

So, just need to be open minded when it comes to retirement. Your important assets are your HDB flat, your CPF Life and your children.

Old 02-05-2015, 01:33 PM
Unregistered

See the article below.

Here are my comments.

1. While we all know that supply of COEs will rise due to car deregistrations, this increase in supply is replacement supply and there will be replacement demand.

2. The article focused largely on supply but not demand. There are many factors to show that demand has increased over the past 10 years. Demand for new cars has increased substantially due to:

i) Increase in household incomes. Many families have seen theire incomes increased, some doubled or tripled.

ii) Flipping of properties. Many bought there BTO flats cheap and after MOP sold their flat at a big profit so they use their profit to buy new cars.

iii) Higher incomes for graduates. New graduate couples can easily afford new cars.

iv) COE drought coming in 2019. " ... that is, until the next COE drought arrives (starting from the latter half of 2019)". This will likely mean that COE prices will likely hit $100k and above in 2019 and beyond. So, those whose cars are currently 5 years old or older will want to change to new cars now rather than wait later.

In conclusion, COE prices will likely rise further. Current prices at $67k for Cat A is still cheap when compared to $100k expected in 2019 and beyond.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Lately, I have been feeling a little like Dustin Hoffman's character in Marathon Man.

In an unforgettable scene from that 1976 hit movie, his character is tortured with a dentist's drill by a villain who keeps asking: "Is it safe?"

Instead of that question, I am bombarded with this one: "Will COEs drop?"

I had an answer for the first 145 times I was asked ("yes, it will drop, because the COE supply will rise sharply"). But now, I am so numbed I just stare blankly and grin.

Going by what has been happening in the last couple of months, it would seem that an expanding supply is not translating to lower prices.

Why? Well, if you put that drill away, I will tell you. First, the Government announced that the Carbon Emissionsbased Vehicle Scheme (CEVS) will be more stringent from July 1.

That means cars enjoying tax rebates of between $5,000 and $20,000 today will be entitled to much smaller breaks, if at all.

Some of those that are in the neutral band today will start to attract tax surcharges. And those already incurring surcharges will incur higher surcharges.

The fear of having to pay more for a car come July has driven people to showrooms like lemmings to cliffs.

Second, a senior minister of state mentioned in Parliament recently that a zero-vehicle-population-growth policy may be in the offing, leading to more fear.

Are the fears unfounded? Even without a drill in my mouth, I will say yes, they are unfounded.

Believe it or not, car dealers have not been passing those CEVS rebates fully to consumers. For that reason, they are unlikely to raise prices by the same quantum of CEVS adjustments come July. Doing so is risky as the market is highly competitive. There will also be models (new and existing) that will qualify for tax breaks.

For those reasons, most dealers will partly absorb CEVS surcharges - just as they partly absorbed raised additional registration fees recently.

In the near term, the market might even evolve around the revised CEVS, with more turbo, diesel, hybrid and electric models that tend to emit less CO2.

As for the zero-growth factor, it is unlikely to influence COE supply significantly over the next few years, simply because the annual supply will be huge till 2018. Also, the growth cap is already at 0.25 per cent today. So zero will not make a big difference - that is, until the next COE drought arrives (starting from the latter half of 2019).

Meanwhile, those who gave in to their fears have helped to push up COE prices by more than $10,000 since February. That alone has negated most, if not all, of the savings they hope to get by beating the July CEVS revision.

So if you feel a little lemming-like, go lie down. It should pass. There is no point in rushing.

After all, the whiz kids at the Ministry of Finance are expecting premiums to fall. Of course, they will never say so directly, even if you strap them to a dentist's chair. But their message is loud and clear.

In their estimates for this year's Budget, they stated that revenue from vehicle quota premiums are projected at $5.08 billion - 39 per cent more than last financial year's revised estimate.

We know that the COE supply will easily be double last year's. If premiums stay unchanged, COE revenue will double - not rise by just 39 per cent.

So we can deduce, safely, that premiums will fall. Using the finance ministry's estimate as a guideline, I would venture to say that car premiums should average $50,000 (cars up to 1,600cc) and $60,000 (cars above 1,600cc) this year. Prices will drop further next year. And the next.

Of course, the fear factor might throw a spanner in the works and screw up those estimates.

The other thing is this: If car dealers know you are desperate because your car is expiring soon, they will capitalise on that. So for your own good, do not be desperate.

The bottom line? If people put their inner lemming at rest, COE prices should slide. Yes, it is safe to make that assumption. Quite safe.

- See more at: h t t p:// w w w.straitstimes.com/lifestyle/motoring/story/fear-not-coe-prices-will-fall-20150502#xtor=CS1-10
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old 02-05-2015, 09:47 PM
Unregistered

48, $80k pa.
wife, 40, $60k pa.
condo, worth $800k, paid up.
2 year old car, loan left $30k.
total net worth $1.4m.

Old 03-05-2015, 01:27 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
You are obnoxious and arrogant. Don't you know that there are many seniors who are now relying on their room rentals and contributions from their children for their retirement? Not many people earn high income to be able to save enough for their retirement. Whatever they earn goes to feed the family and pay the mortgage. Just because you are rich, doesn't mean you have the right to look down on others. If you lose your job now, then you know how it feels. Think before you open your mouth.

I am already retired (and retired young). I don't rent out my rooms to strangers. I don't rely on my children's contributions, but I will never decline if they give as token of appreciation.

If you can plan early, and plan it carefully, you need not compromise on your personally privacy, you need not share your bathroom with strangers. You also need not wait for your children's handout. Please don't downgrade your dignity as you mentioned you already can have a luxurious retirement lifestyle.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:34 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Good morning.

What you can also do now is to downgrade from a 5 room flat to a 4 room flat so that upon retirement at 65, you can do the lease buyback scheme. In this way you get monthly income from the lease buyback plus your CPF Life payouts. If you get say $1000 pm from the lease buyback, $3500 pm from CPF Life and $1000 pm from your two children, thus you will get $5500 pm or $66k pa in total.

If you want to retire in luxury, you can rent out your whole 5 room flat when you retire and get $3k pm in rental income. So your passive income will be $3500 pm from CPF Life, $3000 pm in rental income and $1000 pm from children and thus in total $7500 pm or $90k pa. Then you convert to RM to get RM243k pa. You can retire in luxury in KL, plus you can even save.

So, just need to be open minded when it comes to retirement. Your important assets are your HDB flat, your CPF Life and your children.

How much your children are earning?
You should ask from them 5k each, together with your CPF life 2.4k, you will be getting 12.4k a month. No need to rent out your rooms and still can enjoy luxurious retirement. Please treasure your privacy, otherwise where got luxury life.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:42 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
How much your children are earning?
You should ask from them 5k each, together with your CPF life 2.4k, you will be getting 12.4k a month. No need to rent out your rooms and still can enjoy luxurious retirement. Please treasure your privacy, otherwise where got luxury life.
Why stop at 5k? GET EVERYTHING THEY'VE GOT!!!!!

Old 03-05-2015, 08:40 AM
Unregistered

52, millionaire, full time trader, trading global markets, makes S$100k pa from dividends and trading gains.
Spouse, 43, office manager, makes S$110k pa.
Household expenses, S$90k pa.
3 bedroom condo located in a prime district, fully paid up.
Car, one year old, fully paid up.
Debt free.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:25 AM
Unregistered

You are among the top 2% of the population!

Quote:
52, millionaire, full time trader, trading global markets, makes S$100k pa from dividends and trading gains.
Spouse, 43, office manager, makes S$110k pa.
Household expenses, S$90k pa.
3 bedroom condo located in a prime district, fully paid up.
Car, one year old, fully paid up.
Debt free.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:40 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Why stop at 5k? GET EVERYTHING THEY'VE GOT!!!!!

Oh ****!! Never know your children earn much less than you.
In that case, you cannot and should not expect them to contribute to your luxury life.........
Old 03-05-2015, 12:46 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
You are among the top 2% of the population!
Please get your facts right. While 110k + 90k is not little, it is probably only the 80th percentile of HH.

Go use salary.sg HH income tool for verification.