How much are you earning per annum? - Page 737 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




How much are you earning per annum?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #7361 (permalink)  
Old 23-04-2015, 05:15 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Because the bulk of the supply is replacement supply, which means there will be replacement demand from those who scrapped their cars. The car population only increase marginally by 0.25%. On top of replacement demand, there will also be new additional demand by new buyers who are richer and more successful. Flipping of BTO flats also allows people to cash out and use the cash to pay for their new car's downpayment. New cars are luxury goods and is a status symbol.
U car salesman huh? Get lost lah

Reply With Quote
  #7362 (permalink)  
Old 23-04-2015, 05:26 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Incredibly, it appears that owning a car seems to be less of a status symbol but more a necessity. Like if you sleep in air conditioned room everyday, you can't sleep in a non-air-conditioned room no matter how much it costs.

Today, we have accumulated one landed, one river valley condo, one industrial property. I sold off one condo and used the money to literarily burn cash by buying a Porsche. Really, makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, but, ahem, I did it because I can, no other reason. Its painful to think how much I am spending on the car, but then again, I can afford it and its still cheaper than 50% tax I would pay in UK or Amsterdam for example.

Oh yeah, and yesterday the moon was squarish and greenish too....
Did you see it?

Sales must be really poor. The guys are hallucinating.

I am just about expecting someone to claim that he is Jim Rogers soon LOL

Reply With Quote
  #7363 (permalink)  
Old 23-04-2015, 05:49 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

You have indeed done well. Just to point out that you are not in the top 20% but in the top 10% since you own both a condo and a car. These are the two big Cs of the Singapore dream. 80% live in public housing and you are among the top lucky few to live in private housing.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
When we both looked back at where we came from, my wife and I feel so blessed to achieve what we have today. Both of us came from low middle income family. We lived a very humble and frugal life. We both worked hard in our studies and did well to be in top schools. Eventually we both climbed the social ladder achieving success which we thought were impossible.

We started staying in a HDB flat and eventually upgraded to a condo. Today we live in a modern condo with full facilities. We can also afford to buy a car for the convenience of my family. Our household income is currently $180k pa and we earn enough to service our mortgage and car loans comfortably. We were born in a family in the bottom 30% and now at the age of 43 and 46, we are now in the top 20% percent, given our ownership of a condo and a car. We are indeed happy and grateful for our success.

Reply With Quote
  #7364 (permalink)  
Old 23-04-2015, 07:03 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Oh yeah, and yesterday the moon was squarish and greenish too....
Did you see it?

Sales must be really poor. The guys are hallucinating.

I am just about expecting someone to claim that he is Jim Rogers soon LOL
I am Jim Rogers.
Reply With Quote
  #7365 (permalink)  
Old 23-04-2015, 07:41 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

48, $6500 pm
Wife, 49, $8000 pm
Home is a HDB flat worth $650k, paid up.
Car, 2 year old, paid up.

We plan to sell our flat first and once sold, we will buy a resale 3 bedroom condo (below 5 years old) costing the most $1.2m. We will use the sales proceeds of selling our flat plus $350k of our CPF and cash savings to pay $1m ($650k+$350k=$1m) and take a mortgage loan of $200k. We will use our CPF to pay for the monthly payments, which is not that much, relative to our income.

We hope to enjoy an upgrade in our lifestyle and social status after moving to a condo.
Reply With Quote
  #7366 (permalink)  
Old 23-04-2015, 10:47 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default RE:

me:44yrs
wife :39yrs
kids :3 , 11 yrs, 7 yrs, 9months

own : 2 condo ( 1 fully pay and another $600k left to service )
Present est value for both : $3.7M

Car : 2 . vw

Combine income : $450k
Passive : $15k monthly.

stocks option : $300k
Reply With Quote

  #7367 (permalink)  
Old 24-04-2015, 12:06 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
me:44yrs
wife :39yrs
kids :3 , 11 yrs, 7 yrs, 9months

own : 2 condo ( 1 fully pay and another $600k left to service )
Present est value for both : $3.7M

Car : 2 . vw

Combine income : $450k
Passive : $15k monthly.

stocks option : $300k
You are rich. Do you plan to buy a bungalow soon? You can sell both your condos to pay for the downpayment of a bungalow.
Reply With Quote
  #7368 (permalink)  
Old 24-04-2015, 07:19 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Definition of rich

Here you used the comparative or subjective way of defining who is rich. You called that guy with combined household networth of $3.7M rich, obviously because you have much less than $3.7m.

The $3.7M guy may not think he is rich, because he would know some people who have lots more than him, like his bosses or seniors for example. The subjective way of defining who is rich is, well, very subjective and thus is quite meaningless. You already know the uselessness of this because you deliberately suggested that he upgrade to a bungalow where his $3.7M is only adequate to cover the down payment!

This is why I prefer to use the quantitative or objective way of defining who is rich. And I think the defining line is $10M. Why $10M? $10M because it is a figure that will really sets apart the truly rich from the masses. The average household networth has been increasing (although not evenly spread) over the years, and the average HDB 4 room household would have a minimum of $1M including the flat. Those staying in condos would have easily $2M to $5M in household networth. And not forgetting Singapore has the highest concentration of millionaires in the world. A person with just a $1M networth knows he is not rich because this amount doesn't last long and cannot buy him much here.

It is much like owning a car nowadays is no longer a status symbol because so many people and families have one. So be careful when you call someone rich. It will only reveal that you have less than that person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
You are rich. Do you plan to buy a bungalow soon? You can sell both your condos to pay for the downpayment of a bungalow.
Reply With Quote
  #7369 (permalink)  
Old 24-04-2015, 08:52 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Actually $10m combined net worth is nothing if you want to be defined as rich. The really rich ones are those who live in paid up $20m bungalows and with spare change to invest and spend as they wish. You need to have a net worth of at least $100m per person to be said as really rich. But of course if you compare to a billionaire, this guy is nothing. Don't be fooled by the material world.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Here you used the comparative or subjective way of defining who is rich. You called that guy with combined household networth of $3.7M rich, obviously because you have much less than $3.7m.

The $3.7M guy may not think he is rich, because he would know some people who have lots more than him, like his bosses or seniors for example. The subjective way of defining who is rich is, well, very subjective and thus is quite meaningless. You already know the uselessness of this because you deliberately suggested that he upgrade to a bungalow where his $3.7M is only adequate to cover the down payment!

This is why I prefer to use the quantitative or objective way of defining who is rich. And I think the defining line is $10M. Why $10M? $10M because it is a figure that will really sets apart the truly rich from the masses. The average household networth has been increasing (although not evenly spread) over the years, and the average HDB 4 room household would have a minimum of $1M including the flat. Those staying in condos would have easily $2M to $5M in household networth. And not forgetting Singapore has the highest concentration of millionaires in the world. A person with just a $1M networth knows he is not rich because this amount doesn't last long and cannot buy him much here.

It is much like owning a car nowadays is no longer a status symbol because so many people and families have one. So be careful when you call someone rich. It will only reveal that you have less than that person.
Reply With Quote
  #7370 (permalink)  
Old 24-04-2015, 11:11 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Why talk big?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Actually $10m combined net worth is nothing if you want to be defined as rich. The really rich ones are those who live in paid up $20m bungalows and with spare change to invest and spend as they wish. You need to have a net worth of at least $100m per person to be said as really rich. But of course if you compare to a billionaire, this guy is nothing. Don't be fooled by the material world.
Why talk some thing that is beyond your reach?
Just talk about how middle income should have and what type of lifestyle they should enjoy!

Middle class in Singapore should :-

1. Able to buy 5 room HDB....
2. Able to raise 2 children without second taught....
3. Able to send their children for self enrichment classes and private tuition without causing a dent in their financial....
4. Able to buy a Japanese car without paying serious consideration to COE....
5. Able to have family trips every school holidays in Malaysia, including resorts in Sabah and Sarawak for 4 pax....
6. Able to give financial assistance to the aged parents (if needed) or token pocket money 6k a year, plus New Year/ Christmas gift......
7. Able to spend one sunday evening and dinner together at least once a month.......
8. Able to save up to 18% of their pay (in current year) in addition to CPF contribution for next 35 years to achieve equivalent of 10 years last drawn salary....
9. Able to enjoy 70% replacement income when they retire (with HDB flat paid up)....

So, how much do you think Middle Income should be?
120k a year? 150k a year? or 200k a year to see you should life a middle class lifestyle......
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
bond, bond breaking, income pa, lawyer, saf

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Industries with Highest Proportion Earning 5-Figure Monthly Income Salary.sg Income and Jobs 25 23-04-2021 10:40 PM
Lawyer earning $25k/mth forged $65k payslip to get job Salary.sg Income and Jobs 2 30-12-2011 02:42 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,404 Replies, 1,393,119 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,103 Replies, 270,546 Views
Queries about Cpib application ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,287 Replies, 652,083 Views
Relocation to the US or stay in SG? ( 1 2 3)
22 Replies, 910 Views
Compilation of MAs/Analysts Gross... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
824 Replies, 222,232 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
14,353 Replies, 4,829,449 Views
GovTech Tech Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
116 Replies, 44,836 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,729 Replies, 7,488,209 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,915 Replies, 1,461,482 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
488 Replies, 345,729 Views
Hospital (Private or Public)... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
92 Replies, 27,122 Views
NUS (National University of... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
130 Replies, 123,353 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,103 Replies, 1,330,064 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,952 Replies, 1,810,761 Views
If you can't find a company here... ( 1 2 3)
23 Replies, 2,699 Views
Getting MBA worth? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
134 Replies, 101,143 Views
How much to ask for starting pay... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
201 Replies, 68,832 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,152 Replies, 1,719,930 Views
Anyone working in Recruit express? ( 1 2 3)
29 Replies, 39,110 Views
Anyone work in JPM/GS/Morgan... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
64 Replies, 10,493 Views
High Finance Thread ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
347 Replies, 111,508 Views
NCS (SingTel subsidiary) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
575 Replies, 458,488 Views
Top paying companies in SG for... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
97 Replies, 138,615 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,204 Replies, 2,594,930 Views
Mnc jobs - a must in life ?? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
168 Replies, 68,730 Views
Officer Role in Bank of Tokyo -... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
208 Replies, 172,298 Views
Working 2 FT (remote) jobs?...
2 Replies, 165 Views
Luxoft
0 Replies, 45 Views
DBS Graduate Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,065 Replies, 567,278 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 02:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2