Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   How much are you earning per annum? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/831-how-much-you-earning-per-annum.html)

Unregistered 18-08-2014 11:11 PM

Success is not measured by how much money you have at the end, but it's measured by the quality life you experiencing in your life.

Most people believe and agree that living in a condo providing better quality of life rather than HDB.

You may have more money during the retirement and you might be enjoying it in the process, but it's just so sad that you don't live your life to the fullest.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 54885)
Is this meant to be a satire? You sound like a poor git posting here to console yourself.

I make $260k a year, I'm 31, and I live in a HDB resale which I paid in cash. My first property was a 99 year brand new condo which I bought when I was 25 and sold five years later. I don't want to buy a condo because the asset appreciation of 99 year real estate in Singapore is just good enough to cover interests paid.

I am very sure that
1) I will have much more money than you when we are both retired, even though you live in a your "condo", could be some crappy old unmovable dump in Hillview and Gombak whose price has not changed for the past 20 years, which you are still servicing a loan for.
2) Before retirement, I have much more money to spend and save than you, since I make more and don't spend a cent on mortgage.

There are many wealthy people who live in HDB. I know a couple who owns a construction SME and whose income combined is over $500k living in a HDB flat as well. And there are so many cheap crappy condos all over Singapore. Most condo buyers are HDB upgraders and many people who live in HDB flats buy resale. Times have changed and things are not so simplistic and cut-and-dry as in 1989. Unless your condo is fully paid up and in D9 or D10, don't make a fool of yourself here.

Unregistered 18-08-2014 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 54902)
Success is not measured by how much money you have at the end, but it's measured by the quality life you experiencing in your life.

Most people believe and agree that living in a condo providing better quality of life rather than HDB.

You may have more money during the retirement and you might be enjoying it in the process, but it's just so sad that you don't live your life to the fullest.

You know what, I agree with you, I will be going to a real country where I will live in a house, will also have a boat, a jet ski, a snow mobile, easily a few cars at home including one each for my children when they turn 18 as per life in the west. I could even buy land in my backyard just for fun. Choose from real estate by the ocean (which you don't have), lakes, by the mountains, the choices are endless. It's precisely because I feel the same as you which is why I refuse to invest in Singapore for the time being before I leave, because I know what real life is and because I know your situation isn't "real" because you don't even live in a real country. It's not a country. It's just one small city. You have no hinterland!

If you had bothered to read you'd have noticed that he never said anything about "quality of life" (I wouldn't have objected to that even though I do find what Singaporeans cherish as standard of living pathetic) but about "status symbol" and "making it".

Unregistered 18-08-2014 11:45 PM

No need to bring up irrelevant points like "standard of living" or other ideas when his post and my post were clear. His post was not about that.

So I'll make it clearer.
Unless you have a fully paid up D9/10 freehold condo, you have no bragging rights please, and it sure ain't a "status symbol".

Ain't fooling people who have been there done that and can afford it. You would fool the wide eyes JC kids or the heartlander NUS undergrad who lurks here but not me. Because I've lived it. Also been to countless condo units of Singaporeans all over from the old grotty ones in hillview that cannot sell to the outlying ones in places like Pasir ris or jurong. I know couples who make less than 120k combined in two bedroom leasehold units in locations that are not so bad, around Valley Point but still outside D9-10, they don't have much money for renovation as well so usually the interiors are quite simple. You only live like this because you are in Asia and it's the densest part of the whole world. No matter how rich you or people in Hong Kong are, you can never have the same standard of living as citizens of first world and large countries.

dives 19-08-2014 12:00 AM

Lol you are sounding almost as bad as he is. Chilll

Home is where your friends and family are, no need for all those materialistic stuff to prove a point. The man's an idiot so don't get carried away over nothing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 54903)
You know what, I agree with you, I will be going to a real country where I will live in a house, will also have a boat, a jet ski, a snow mobile, easily a few cars at home including one each for my children when they turn 18 as per life in the west. I could even buy land in my backyard just for fun. Choose from real estate by the ocean (which you don't have), lakes, by the mountains, the choices are endless. It's precisely because I feel the same as you which is why I refuse to invest in Singapore for the time being before I leave, because I know what real life is and because I know your situation isn't "real" because you don't even live in a real country. It's not a country. It's just one small city. You have no hinterland!

If you had bothered to read you'd have noticed that he never said anything about "quality of life" (I wouldn't have objected to that even though I do find what Singaporeans cherish as standard of living pathetic) but about "status symbol" and "making it".

Unregistered 19-08-2014 12:20 AM

I believe soon enough you will want to go back to Singapore, because it's home. We will see.
I myself have been living abroad in US, Europe, Australia and other part of Asia. I understand exactly what you mean. Im fact, my family owned what you have mentioned, but i still feel city living in Singapore is the best for me.

I don't really understand why you hate buying condo on mortgage so much? Were you benefitted yourself when you sold your condo?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 54903)

Unregistered 19-08-2014 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 54894)
It is simply ridiculous to talk about "condo living" as though it is the most definitive symbol of having made it, whatever bs hogwash lol that that person posted, please reread what he said (I quoted it) and tell me if it isn't a ridiculous joke. For one, the post was itself ridiculous as it does not correlate to reality. Secondly, it was written that reveals not all Singaporeans aspire to living in a condo, it's the ones he knows. There is no magical line that neatly divides groups of people in a definitive way. There are resale HDB flats that are priced higher than condos and there are condos that are priced higher than landed properties. Is this person in kindergarten? The way he talks it is as if he is posting from 1989 and if you want me to be utterly frank, I can tell that he is a someone drawing a low income because only a poor person with a low net-worth (paid up assets) and annual income would have that bumpkin mentality. I know because I have a high income and I know how high-income think.

The only reason people like him (who characterize at least 99 per cent of Singaporeans from my own experience) are so brainwashed and ignorant is because they have never lived anywhere else in the world and their entire perspective of life is based on a microstate, which is not even a natural occurrence worldwide. There are only a few microstates in the whole world. Most human beings in the world do not live in a microstate. So you guys are in the super minority of probably 0.0005% of the whole world to be that unlucky to be born here. In the US, the first home of newly married couples is a 2,000 sq feet single family home. The only reason you slog your ass off and pay 10 times of what Americans and Canadians (they own their property and land forever), just to rent your place from the government for 99 years and not be able to give it to your descendant, is because your "whole country" is not even the size of one city of big countries! You may know it in theory but unless you've lived it and therefore experienced it yourself, you will not understand it and that's why you think people who live in big houses abroad are living a "vacation" life that's not real, when really, that is the everyday life of people in US and Canada. Just look at how he aspires to a "condo", and talks as if it's the holy grail for his existence and validation of his worth, which really is only lived by poor people in high-rise housing projects in developed countries.

One of the other reasons besides the poor appreciation of property assets against bank interest that I did not get a place that I couldn't pay in full, is because I refuse to sink any roots here further, and have plans to leave once I make more money out of this place and milk it for what I can (I have citizenship in a huge superpower country). You are living an unreal situation in an unreal world because you happen to be born in microstate. Nothing more to it..

I agree, just milk all you can and leave this god forsaken microstate! Go and stay in your superpower country. Hope you enjoy the big houses, probably somewhere with the nearest neighbors miles away so you can have all the peace and quiet. Good luck!

Unregistered 19-08-2014 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 54909)
I agree, just milk all you can and leave this god forsaken microstate! Go and stay in your superpower country. Hope you enjoy the big houses, probably somewhere with the nearest neighbors miles away so you can have all the peace and quiet. Good luck!

Don't be silly. You sound like one of the frogs! Lol. There are plenty of homes in all those areas because those are where the richest people live, and it's also the most coveted properties! There are all types of housings abroad to choose from. That's the beauty of it. If you want to have your nearest neighbors miles away, you can. If you want a regular suburb with picket fences like in "desperate housewives", also can. If you want to live in park avenue in downtown manhattan, sure, that's possible too. I just realized there's no "suburb" in Singapore. It was just obvious that there's no rural but I just realized there's no "suburbs" like in the developed world too. The whole island is like the urban housing projects where the blacks and impoverished white trash live, except that your whole island looks like the urban housing ghettos that we see in big countries!

Unregistered 19-08-2014 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 54907)
I believe soon enough you will want to go back to Singapore, because it's home. We will see.
I myself have been living abroad in US, Europe, Australia and other part of Asia. I understand exactly what you mean. Im fact, my family owned what you have mentioned, but i still feel city living in Singapore is the best for me.

I don't really understand why you hate buying condo on mortgage so much? Were you benefitted yourself when you sold your condo?

I don't know, guys. Singapore isn't my home. What do you consider your home? Just a place you happen to be born? Or where your parents are from? And what your passport says? Or where you feel you are free?

I was born here but only one parent is Singaporean. My parents applied for birth cert for me based on my mother's citizenship (from elsewhere). I only lived in Singapore as a PR even though I grew up here. I went away from age 9 to 22, and lived in a large, real first world country. I made money from my condo sale but I don't want to be in debt anymore for now before I leave. Good money can be made here but life is third world-ish. I can take it in the hardship years of 20s but this isn't acceptable for human life for anybody in their 30s and beyond! The whole place and lifestyle is just,...so ghetto. My plan is to make the money and then run. My real home is somewhere else, not in this place the size of a booger, (nose ****, according to an ex Taiwanese politician).

Unregistered 19-08-2014 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 54916)
Don't be silly. You sound like one of the frogs! Lol. There are plenty of homes in all those areas because those are where the richest people live, and it's also the most coveted properties! There are all types of housings abroad to choose from. That's the beauty of it. If you want to have your nearest neighbors miles away, you can. If you want a regular suburb with picket fences like in "desperate housewives", also can. If you want to live in park avenue in downtown manhattan, sure, that's possible too. I just realized there's no "suburb" in Singapore. It was just obvious that there's no rural but I just realized there's no "suburbs" like in the developed world too. The whole island is like the urban housing projects where the blacks and impoverished white trash live, except that your whole island looks like the urban housing ghettos that we see in big countries!

Haha, your iq or lack of it is clear for all to view here. Don't embarrass yourself more and go back to bed. It's school day tomorrow.

Unregistered 19-08-2014 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 54919)
Haha, your iq or lack of it is clear for all to view here. Don't embarrass yourself more and go back to bed. It's school day tomorrow.

Keep croaking in your little ghetto backwater.