How much are you earning per annum? - Page 492 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




How much are you earning per annum?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #4911 (permalink)  
Old 23-07-2014, 03:08 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Lower middle income family, 51 & 52, 110k pa family income. Lives in HDB flat, now worth $600k, paid up. Total net worth, including flat and CPF, 1.2m. We are happy to be a millionaire couple, even though we are only in the lower middle income group.



SG BusLeh mobile app
SG BusLeh - the best bus app - available on iPhone and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #4912 (permalink)  
Old 23-07-2014, 04:54 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Money slap: 1 in 50 Singaporeans a millionaire

The city is definitely Asia’s wealth hub.

We are only ever a stone’s throw from the affluent, especially in the smallness of Singapore where everyone rubs elbows with everyone.

A research conducted by SPEARS’s magazine and wealth consultancy company WealthInsight reveals that Singapore is the Asian country with the highest percentage of millionaires, with over one in every 50 (2.8%) in the city classed as a millionaire. Ranked eighth in the world, Singapore is ahead of other wealthy global cities such as Hong Kong, Paris, Venice, Toronto and San Francisco in terms of millionaire density.

WealthInsight analyst Oliver Williams says that Singapore is an attractive coastal city boasting a high standard of living and easy access to all the needs of the wealthy, notably private banks and wealth advisors, making the city more appealing among the newly wealthy families of China, India, Malaysia, Philippines and Indonesia.

Here’s more from the research:

“While Singapore has long been viewed as a financial centre of Asia, it has an additional appeal to wealthy families in the form of education says Williams: “Singapore is fast becoming Asia’s education hub as more and more international students enroll at its five public and more than fifteen private universities,” Williams adds.

Sunday Times and Condé Nast journalist, John Arlidge, adds: "In the race to attract the global super-rich, Singapore has some big hardware advantages. It is close to booming China but not too close for comfort, like Hong Kong. It has a stable government of the no-nonsense, laissez-faire kind investors like. More people speak English than in Hong Kong. Schools and healthcare are world class. Yale has a campus. Taxes are very low. It does not suffer the pollution that Hong Kong endures. On virtually every level you care to think of, Singapore is the easiest entry point to booming Asia."

Reply With Quote
  #4913 (permalink)  
Old 23-07-2014, 05:23 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Thanks for this article. Very reassuring for me. I am lucky to be among the top 2.8% of Singaporeans who are millionaires.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Money slap: 1 in 50 Singaporeans a millionaire

The city is definitely Asia’s wealth hub.

We are only ever a stone’s throw from the affluent, especially in the smallness of Singapore where everyone rubs elbows with everyone.

A research conducted by SPEARS’s magazine and wealth consultancy company WealthInsight reveals that Singapore is the Asian country with the highest percentage of millionaires, with over one in every 50 (2.8%) in the city classed as a millionaire. Ranked eighth in the world, Singapore is ahead of other wealthy global cities such as Hong Kong, Paris, Venice, Toronto and San Francisco in terms of millionaire density.

WealthInsight analyst Oliver Williams says that Singapore is an attractive coastal city boasting a high standard of living and easy access to all the needs of the wealthy, notably private banks and wealth advisors, making the city more appealing among the newly wealthy families of China, India, Malaysia, Philippines and Indonesia.

Here’s more from the research:

“While Singapore has long been viewed as a financial centre of Asia, it has an additional appeal to wealthy families in the form of education says Williams: “Singapore is fast becoming Asia’s education hub as more and more international students enroll at its five public and more than fifteen private universities,” Williams adds.

Sunday Times and Condé Nast journalist, John Arlidge, adds: "In the race to attract the global super-rich, Singapore has some big hardware advantages. It is close to booming China but not too close for comfort, like Hong Kong. It has a stable government of the no-nonsense, laissez-faire kind investors like. More people speak English than in Hong Kong. Schools and healthcare are world class. Yale has a campus. Taxes are very low. It does not suffer the pollution that Hong Kong endures. On virtually every level you care to think of, Singapore is the easiest entry point to booming Asia."

Reply With Quote
  #4914 (permalink)  
Old 23-07-2014, 11:09 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Talking Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Thanks for this article. Very reassuring for me. I am lucky to be among the top 2.8% of Singaporeans who are millionaires.
shallow clown.
Reply With Quote
  #4915 (permalink)  
Old 23-07-2014, 11:10 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Lower middle income family, 51 & 52, 110k pa family income. Lives in HDB flat, now worth $600k, paid up. Total net worth, including flat and CPF, 1.2m. We are happy to be a millionaire couple, even though we are only in the lower middle income group.
Trying to be a clown here? You've made it.
Reply With Quote
  #4916 (permalink)  
Old 24-07-2014, 10:16 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
passing by here, I want to share my few words. There are all sort of people on this forum - poor (but not too poor since you can afford internet), mid class and rich (but not too rich since the rich don't have time to come and post regularly on this forum).

First of all, I want to talk about equality.

There is no way in any democratic market society, that all people are equal. This means that there are haves and have nots. There is no way around it. Those who have usually have it becuase of hard work (studied hard or worked hard), skill and luck (including luck at work and promotions or in business - even facebook founders are in a large sense, lucky - ask him to start of scratch again and see if he can do it one more time). So unless we want to become communists (and even communists are unequal), there will always be inequality.

Second, I want to talk about getting on the right side of equality.

Since we are unequal, how to we get on the right side (the have side, not the have not side)? Hard work, luck and skill, as mentioned above. Know that Singapore is so small that it is a zero sum game. Because everything is relative, if you fall below the average, you will feel poor and frustrated. Hence you can have a car today but it is a different exclusivity from having a car in the 60s. So study hard and work hard, and try to be at the right place at the right time. The government is a way has tried to make studying hard pay rewards (like good paying jobs in the civil service). What you can't teach is skill - meaning the the character of a person - some people make good marketers, others make good doctors or lawyers or engineers - you need to be in your area of skill in order to be on the right side.

Third I want to mention challenges.

Life in Singapore and the world is only going to be harder. If you look at the world's population - India, Indonesia, Africa is exploding. Even Malaysia's population is exploding. And the fear is that everyone will want more and eat more - people will want to consume more, and they want fish and beef, not veggies. All resources will start to become scarce and more expensive. This will result in more opportunities for work, but more importantly, massive inflation. For those on the wrong side, they will slip further to the wrong side, unable to drag themselves to the right side as everything gets more and more expensive. Some clever people mention putting into S&P index or properties - these barely return more than inflation, maybe less. Forget about fixed deposits and sovereign bonds returns.

Fourth, I mention my ideas.

For the younger set of people, obviously, you need to study hard. That is the best thing you can do for yourself. Know that in China, millions of hardworking kids even from Beijing U, Fudan, do not get better jobs than those grads in NUS/NTU/SMU. So thank the government for (so far) ensuring that first class honours grads are in demand. Be on the right side.

For those in their 20s-40s, you are either on the right side through previous hard work, so continue on; or you're on the wrong side. If you're on the wrong side, you need to either work harder (by now, there is less you can do - working hard often doesn't reap much rewards, when you are in a long queue of promotions and your boss is creating the traffic jam and not promoted), or be lucky (you can't control this), or take more risk.

So what is taking more risk? It is getting out of the comfort zone. It means leaving Singapore or leaving your job to start a business. Being entrepreneural. You can get on the right side by working in Myanmar or Laos or Vietnam (vietname is already crowded), or even Africa (not congo or sudan!), but assisting in trade. Singapore is a great trading hub, and you are blessed with English and Chinese (assuming you're chinese) speaking ability.

For those in their 50s and above, there is little you can do to increase your income. It is already too late if you are slipping into the wrong side, or are already in the wrong side. The truth is that the slide will only accelerate with time, unless you are generating income, or the government provides payouts.

The world is unfair, but there are things that one can control. Those who refuse to work hard, study hard, find their luck, focus on their skills, and take more risk, will have a hard time in this new age. This is the truth and no change in government will change that.

That's all!
Jeff
Quality post, thanks Jeff.

if only there was a way to upvote great posts like this...
Reply With Quote

  #4917 (permalink)  
Old 24-07-2014, 06:58 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Quality post, thanks Jeff.

if only there was a way to upvote great posts like this...
I agree. We should sticky this post somewhere.

I forwarded the post to my son and asked him to read and re-read it for his own good.


SG BusLeh mobile app
SG BusLeh - the best bus app - available on iPhone and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #4918 (permalink)  
Old 24-07-2014, 11:10 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I agree. We should sticky this post somewhere.

I forwarded the post to my son and asked him to read and re-read it for his own good.
with all due respect, nothing from that post that I don't know already
Reply With Quote
  #4919 (permalink)  
Old 24-07-2014, 11:22 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
with all due respect, nothing from that post that I don't know already
Sure, many people here, like you, may have a great wealth of knowledge but how many are actually willing to share it? And in this case, I'd rather choose to shut up than to post something useless. Waste of forum space.
Reply With Quote
  #4920 (permalink)  
Old 24-07-2014, 11:31 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Sure, many people here, like you, may have a great wealth of knowledge but how many are actually willing to share it? And in this case, I'd rather choose to shut up than to post something useless. Waste of forum space.
Share what? That life is unfair and to be on the right side? Please lah, you are the one wasting space here.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
bond, bond breaking, income pa, lawyer, saf

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Industries with Highest Proportion Earning 5-Figure Monthly Income Salary.sg Income and Jobs 23 06-08-2017 06:46 PM
Lawyer earning $25k/mth forged $65k payslip to get job Salary.sg Income and Jobs 2 30-12-2011 02:42 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,006 Replies, 1,354,991 Views
Job offer from Apple ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
289 Replies, 47,583 Views
Exxon Mobil Equipment tech or... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,688 Replies, 477,782 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,546 Replies, 1,211,673 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
369 Replies, 164,723 Views
DBS Graduate Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
605 Replies, 305,488 Views
OCBC Graduate Talent Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
147 Replies, 49,435 Views
Constituency Manager (People... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
810 Replies, 410,821 Views
DBS Management Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,138 Replies, 194,723 Views
Career advice
0 Replies, 47 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
238 Replies, 148,270 Views
anyone working at NCS ? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
333 Replies, 253,716 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
8,909 Replies, 5,115,171 Views
OCBC Young Bankers Programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
95 Replies, 70,083 Views
Govtech bonus ( 1 2 3)
27 Replies, 11,245 Views
Civil/Public Sector -... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
384 Replies, 193,751 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,843 Replies, 2,062,992 Views
Monetary Authority of Singapore...
1 Replies, 307 Views
Singtel Management Associate... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
113 Replies, 74,491 Views
AML/Compliance/KYC professionals... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,368 Replies, 532,420 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
36 Replies, 41,649 Views
NCS Salary range and Promotion...
2 Replies, 554 Views
Senior Lab officer @ IMRE
9 Replies, 4,174 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,589 Replies, 966,114 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,242 Replies, 1,002,672 Views
career at astar pays so low? ( 1 2 3)
21 Replies, 35,074 Views
Need career advice
3 Replies, 606 Views
HSBC Career ( 1 2 3)
20 Replies, 35,811 Views
MINDEF enlistment inspector
2 Replies, 323 Views
ITE lecturer ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
88 Replies, 100,566 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 12:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2