How much are you earning per annum? - Page 424 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

How much are you earning per annum?

Old 02-05-2014, 07:48 PM
Unregistered

Thanks, it was achieved over a span of 15 years. Indeed, my life is more precious than any amount of money. It was a wake-up call for me to appreciate what really matters in life. I feel very, very lucky to be where I am today, I am luckier than the billions of people around the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Still quite impressive to have achieved $1.7m net worth, as you know $150k - $190k pa is not exactly top salary. Lucky you quit that job because it is definitely not worth trading your life for that measly sum. People earn much more for much less effort.

On a per hour basis, your current job actually pays more than the previous one. So count yourself very lucky indeed.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:28 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Thanks, it was achieved over a span of 15 years. Indeed, my life is more precious than any amount of money. It was a wake-up call for me to appreciate what really matters in life. I feel very, very lucky to be where I am today, I am luckier than the billions of people around the world.
There are now about 12 million millionaires around the world and the world's population is now about 7 billion.

So if you are a millionaire, you are among the top 0.2% in net worth in the world.

You are obviously a millionaire, so you are among the world's top richest people. You should definitely feel very, very lucky. Just imagine, you were born na.ked, with nothing and now you are mong the top 0.2% richest people in the world !!!!!! Awesome !!!!!!

Old 03-05-2014, 12:58 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
I used to earn a lot more, between $150k - $190k pa. I invested my big bonuses in stocks and properties and made a lot of money buying and selling them. Then I got very sick, my highly stressful job, with the long hours in the office, lack of sleep and frequent travel took a toll on my health. Upon my doctor's advice, I quit my job and now working in a more relaxed job with shorter working hours but with a huge pay cut. Had I continued in my previous job, I could drop dead before 50. Now I just keep most of my wealth in cash as I no longer can take the stress of holding risky assets. Bad for my heart.
Good for u!

I am 48 and earning more than your previous job almost double, it's pressurizing like hell....but instead of quitting and switching to a lower pay job, I "see broken" and switched to a lower gear. A lower pay job may not equal to lesser stress, in fact could be as stressful or worst, more! No more chasing corp ladder and turn in top performance. I still do my worth but no more late nights in office. I know it's easier said than done, but what the worst case, they lay me off. No different than I call it a day, but you will never know maybe I get a package. Working life is tough, always tell my kids to find something they like to do and make it into a career. My 2 cents.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:22 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
I used to earn a lot more, between $150k - $190k pa. I invested my big bonuses in stocks and properties and made a lot of money buying and selling them. Then I got very sick, my highly stressful job, with the long hours in the office, lack of sleep and frequent travel took a toll on my health. Upon my doctor's advice, I quit my job and now working in a more relaxed job with shorter working hours but with a huge pay cut. Had I continued in my previous job, I could drop dead before 50. Now I just keep most of my wealth in cash as I no longer can take the stress of holding risky assets. Bad for my heart.
You made the right decision. Anyway, you have achieved what many people are trying to achieve all their lives - to be a millionaire.

Do take care of your health, what is the point of having wealth without the health to enjoy it?

If you drink or smoke, do stop now.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:02 PM
Unregistered

It is a good thing that posters here shared more than just their income as stated in the original intent of the thread. From their sharing (not all true of course) you can get a sense of how varied their income and lifestyle are. Although the number of contributors here is probably no more than a hundred, the range of their income and lifestyle represented that of the society at large. All in all, I find them interesting read.

For example, you see posters whose household incomes are low, living in 3 room HDB flats but nonetheless happy with their lives. Then you have posters whose household incomes are $150k pa and living a lifestyle like they have arrived - condo, conti car, and regular overseas holidays. And on the other side, you have posters still living and loving their HDB flats while they are already earning upwards of $300k pa, and still driving Jap cars.

And you have a few who have made it early in their careers, and retired early whether by choice or by circumstances. Then you have the others who espoused the virtues of working for as long as one can to maximize their retirement fund.

Then there are those unfortunate ones who succumbed to work pressure and opted out of the rat race. For example, you have a poster who came under tremendous stress while earning just $150k - $190k pa. And on the other extreme, you have posters who are saving (yes, saving) $200k - $300k pa, and still working. This contrasting examples tell me that high pay does not necessarily come with high stress jobs. Or just that there are capable people and there are more capable people.

Retirement is a natural follow-on topic when you discuss wages. There seemed to be an equal number of posters who felt that they have enough to see them through retirement, and an equal number who felt they don't have enough. What I found worrying were the many who don't seem to have a clue how to calculate how much they need. They are spending their savings away, living for the moment. You just have to read the newspapers to know that governments everywhere is urging their citizens to work longer and longer. People are living longer and thus need more money to see them through their retirement years.

Finally I wish / hope to see more truthful postings as false or misleading postings does not add to knowledge and meaningful discourse. It also does no good to the poster.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:41 PM
Unregistered

You have a warped and loser logic. First, the world doesn't care if you have not saved up enough money for your retirement. It will move on with or without you.

Secondly just because some will fail in an exam doesn't mean we have to lower the passing mark.

Lastly inflation hits everyone.

With China and the region growing richer, the demand for goods and services will only grow causing prices to go up. This is beyond what our gahmen can control.

Hide your head in the sand if you want, but you will be the one to suffer.

Quote:
Don't BS. $3.1m in 20 years time is still a lot of money. Many people may not even have a net worth of $1m in 20 years time.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:07 PM
Unregistered

In life, you should try your best to maximize your potential and earn the best possible amount. However, if things doesn't work out after you tried your best, then you should accept the reality and move on.

Don't force yourself too much to the extent of you getting depression or falling sick and endangering your life.

If you aspire to buy and live in a condo but can't afford, then be happy living in a HDB flat. Not everyone can afford a condo, only 20% of the local population is living in private properties.

If you aspire to own a car but can't afford, then be happy taking the bus and mrt. Not every family can afford to own a car.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:35 AM
Unregistered

Middle income married couple, 48 and 49 years old.
Annual income, $120k pa.
Upgraded from HDB flat to a condo in 2006. Bought condo at $600k. Now no more loan.
Drives an old conti car, fully paid up. No maid.
Goes for holiday in Dec, once a year.

Our condo is our best investment, now it is worth $1.3m, it has appreciated more than doubled over 7 years. We are good at timing our investment.

When we retire, we will apply for the HDB studio flat for the elderly. We will sell our condo and plus our savings, we should have $2m in cash. We will get a good financial advisor to help us buy good dividend stocks which will give us $100k pa in dividends.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:26 AM
Unregistered

Middle 40s couple.
Basic income about $25k per month
Stay in fully paid condo which was bought in 2003 Sars period
fully paid car... now timing the market to go in to replace it next year
2 kids are in top schools
hope to work for another 10 years to retire comfortably
singapore is such a great place under PAP leadership
Old 04-05-2014, 08:45 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Middle 40s couple.
Basic income about $25k per month
Stay in fully paid condo which was bought in 2003 Sars period
fully paid car... now timing the market to go in to replace it next year
2 kids are in top schools
hope to work for another 10 years to retire comfortably
singapore is such a great place under PAP leadership
Congrats! You have made it!
Can share what is your retirement plan?
Do you have millions in savings? Are you downgrading?