Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

How much are you earning per annum?

Old 19-04-2014, 04:15 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonproperty123 View Post
I don't own a condo in Singapore.
Are you staying in a 5 room HDB flat now?

Old 19-04-2014, 04:21 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonproperty123 View Post
Living in HDB flat.
How old are you? What's your retirement plan? Are you going to sell your flat and downgrade to a smaller flat?

Old 19-04-2014, 09:05 PM
Unregistered

Hubby is the only one working, $180k pa. I take good care of our 2 daughters and coached them, now they are in top secondary schools. They are also well brought. I'm happy with the years of sacrifice of not working. We live in a 4 room HDB flat, which is now paid up. There is a good chance that btw of our kids will get scholarships - this is more meaningful than me earning a few thousand dollars more for the family.

I know of friends and relatives who earn double our family income (both husband and wife working), but the kids are wild - they have pre marital sex, drink, smoke and are very rude and disobedient to their parents and their studies are down the drain. This is the price these people pay to earn more. They may live in big condos and drive big cars but their family life are in the dumps.

Old 20-04-2014, 09:46 AM
Unregistered

Low middle income family, $100k pa.
39 and 40 years old non-grad couple.
Bought flat direct from HDB very cheap and upgraded to a condo in 2006, paid $450k.
Now condo is worth $900k, fully paid up.
Owns a small Korean car, loan left $30k.

Our condo is our best investment, we were lucky to buy at a good price. Now we enjoy condo living. We love our children very much, that is why we upgraded to a condo. They enjoy playing in the swimming pool. Neighbours are very friendly, many are also upgraders and can see that they are happy to upgrade from their HDB flat.

Like many posters here, we are happy to live in this beautiful country.

When we retire at 65, we will buy the HDB studio unit for the elderly (only $70k). We will sell our condo for about $1m and together with our cash savings, we will retire with the cash, by then we will have about $1.5m in. We will get some advice on how to invest in the stock market to get 5% dividend yield or $75k pa. This is a enough for me and my wife. By then, we don't need a car and we will not eat so much. We also do not drink, smoke or gamble, so our expenses will be very low.
Old 20-04-2014, 10:11 AM
Unregistered

To live in a condo for a non grad couple is very fortunate. There are many grad couples who are still staying in HDB flats. You are smarter than them since you seize the chance to upgrade in 2006. Well done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Bought flat direct from HDB very cheap and upgraded to a condo in 2006, paid $450k.

Our condo is our best investment, we were lucky to buy at a good price. Now we enjoy condo living. We love our children very much, that is why we upgraded to a condo. They enjoy playing in the swimming pool. Neighbours are very friendly, many are also upgraders and can see that they are happy to upgrade from their HDB flat.

When we retire at 65, we will buy the HDB studio unit for the elderly (only $70k). We will sell our condo for about $1m and together with our cash savings, we will retire with the cash, by then we will have about $1.5m in. We will get some advice on how to invest in the stock market to get 5% dividend yield or $75k pa. This is a enough for me and my wife. By then, we don't need a car and we will not eat so much. We also do not drink, smoke or gamble, so our expenses will be very low.
Old 20-04-2014, 02:07 PM
Unregistered

45, $150k pa.
42, $110k pa.

Luxury condo, $2m.
Other assets, $600k.
Debt free.

Plans to retire at 55. Selling our condo and retire in Sabah or Sarawak.
Will have RM10m by then. Will live in a bungalow.

Old 20-04-2014, 03:07 PM
Unregistered

Many people here are very wealthy, by world's standards. Have you ever thought of the billions of poor people around the world?

Are we satisfied, seating in our comfortable couch watching TV while billions of poor, esp the children, die of hunger each day.

Do something meaningful in your life. Make a difference.

Copy below and paste in your search bar. See and reflect. Take action.

kNXx1pDWmIY
Old 20-04-2014, 03:12 PM
Unregistered

Unhappy Unfortunate Case

Quote:

How I envy you.

Ours is a sad story.

We are a non-grad couple in our late forties with 2 children in JC(top IP school).
Used to have a household income of up to S$130k p.a. until I quit job eight years ago and have been in and out of jobs with long periods of unemployment in between. Now our income averaged around S$55k pa.

Bought a resale 3 room flat opposite MRT station in 1995 for $160k and sold in 1999 for S$160k. Taking into account legal fee, agent fee and simple furnishing, made a 5 figure loss on the sale.

Bought an executive apt direct from HDB in 1996, very expensive for a sub urban location without good amenities. S$430k and only ready for occupation in end 1999 when the value of the flat was at an all time low. Threw in another S$100k renovating/furnishing the exec apt in 1999 and another S$100k on HDB interest on servicing the flat. Recent valuation of similar unit only less than S$600k! Flat fully paid up 8 years ago.

Bought a new car 9 years ago after selling our 3 year old car, fully paid up.

I have difficulty settling into a stable job with reasonably good pay while my other half experiencing difficulty adapting to a new job after previous company's closure and retrenchment.

We are both in mid life crisis! With unstable employment prospects, mediocre savings, un-encashable asset (house) and a lack of funds for children's university education, we are stuck! Don't know how to move on from here. Retirement? Dare not even think of it.
Old 20-04-2014, 03:13 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Many people here are very wealthy, by world's standards. Have you ever thought of the billions of poor people around the world?

Are we satisfied, seating in our comfortable couch watching TV while billions of poor, esp the children, die of hunger each day.

Do something meaningful in your life. Make a difference.

Copy below and paste in your search bar. See and reflect. Take action.

kNXx1pDWmIY

Copy and paste in your you.tube search bar and click search. Watch the video clip.
Old 20-04-2014, 03:56 PM
Unregistered

Sorry to hear about your situation, but don't despair. Here are some suggestions for you.

1. Your house is your asset. Keep it.
2. You can sell your car, you will save $2k pm.
3. You can drive a taxi, if you are hardworking, you can earn $5k pm. The taxi can be used for your family too.
4. Your kids are clever, tell them to give tuition to earn pocket money. For their uni education, they can get local scholarships.
5. Stop any wasteful and sinful expenses such as drinking, smoking, gambling.
6. When you retire, you can rent out your flat at $3k pm and retire in Chiang Mai, you can retire comfortably for $1k pm. You can save $2k pm.

Hope these ideas are useful.

Quote:
How I envy you.

Ours is a sad story.

We are a non-grad couple in our late forties with 2 children in JC(top IP school).
Used to have a household income of up to S$130k p.a. until I quit job eight years ago and have been in and out of jobs with long periods of unemployment in between. Now our income averaged around S$55k pa.

Bought a resale 3 room flat opposite MRT station in 1995 for $160k and sold in 1999 for S$160k. Taking into account legal fee, agent fee and simple furnishing, made a 5 figure loss on the sale.

Bought an executive apt direct from HDB in 1996, very expensive for a sub urban location without good amenities. S$430k and only ready for occupation in end 1999 when the value of the flat was at an all time low. Threw in another S$100k renovating/furnishing the exec apt in 1999 and another S$100k on HDB interest on servicing the flat. Recent valuation of similar unit only less than S$600k! Flat fully paid up 8 years ago.

Bought a new car 9 years ago after selling our 3 year old car, fully paid up.

I have difficulty settling into a stable job with reasonably good pay while my other half experiencing difficulty adapting to a new job after previous company's closure and retrenchment.

We are both in mid life crisis! With unstable employment prospects, mediocre savings, un-encashable asset (house) and a lack of funds for children's university education, we are stuck! Don't know how to move on from here. Retirement? Dare not even think of it.