How much are you earning per annum? - Page 392 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

How much are you earning per annum?

Old 05-04-2014, 09:06 AM
Unregistered

Whether you live in a condo or a HDB flat does not really matter as long as you are happy. If you can afford a condo, by all means, upgrade to a condo and enjoy. We are lucky to be Singaporeans as the majority of people here leads comfortable lives if they adjust their lifestyle according to their means. Look at the many countries in the world, just stop and ponder how fortunate we are. Be grateful and contented. Strive hard to improve your lives but not at the expense of quality family time and service to the community. Live a meaningful, balanced life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
i live in a condo from which i upgraded from my 1st HDB. I did not feel that my social status has improved nor did i think families and friends now look up to me. Neither did i think that others who are staying in a condo are of higher social status than HDB dwellers. instead, ive never even thought of it until I chanced upon the postings here so I can't quite relate to why others would even think that way. nonetheless, i am happy to have moved into the condo as my family and I enjoy the facilities. the only negative is that I don't feel my estate being a good growing up environment for my young children as many of the units are rented out to foreigners and my children has little friends of similar age group within the estate.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 05-04-2014, 09:09 AM
Unregistered

Condos are so common nowadays...I think those who live in landed then have a higher social status...

Old 05-04-2014, 01:42 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Now is a good time to upgrade from HDB flat to condo.

Sell your flat at $600k, use the cash for downpayment for a $800k condo.

Loan $200k and pay it off in 10 years. No problem if your combined income is at least $100k pa.

But make sure you do not waste on a car, drinking, smoking, dining in expensive restaurants twice a week, gambling or womanising. Sure money no enough if you indulge in these.
600k hdb mean it is likely a 5rm flat. 800k condo means likely just a studio unit or the most an old 2rm unit. Usually with this very difficult to downsize in living space so drastically, esp if you have children or parents staying with you. Even if it is newly weds without children yet, the tiny condo will get to your nerves very soon.

Old 05-04-2014, 02:53 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Condos are so common nowadays...I think those who live in landed then have a higher social status...
Agree condos are very common now. Landed properties are very limited in qty in SG, so those who own them are sitting on very precious assets. Whether that meant higher social status is another matter though IMHO.
Old 05-04-2014, 03:13 PM
Unregistered

Yes and no. If the landed property is in an exclusive landed enclave then it will be highly desireable and thus valuable. If it is surrounded by HDBs or near roads then maybe not so. Also in danger of acquisition for road widening and redevelopment. And if you are staying in these kinds of landed homes, you will probably wished for it to be acquired as staying in those will be unbearable because of the noise, dust and lack of privacy where people staying in HDB staring right into your home.

Other than the possible higher value of the land in landed properties, there is little else to shout about staying in a landed home as compared to condo living in terms of facilities and landscaping. For me, it will be condo living anytime.

Status is meaningless if it does not lead to better quality of life.

Quote:
Agree condos are very common now. Landed properties are very limited in qty in SG, so those who own them are sitting on very precious assets. Whether that meant higher social status is another matter though IMHO.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:27 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Yes and no. If the landed property is in an exclusive landed enclave then it will be highly desireable and thus valuable. If it is surrounded by HDBs or near roads then maybe not so. Also in danger of acquisition for road widening and redevelopment. And if you are staying in these kinds of landed homes, you will probably wished for it to be acquired as staying in those will be unbearable because of the noise, dust and lack of privacy where people staying in HDB staring right into your home.

Other than the possible higher value of the land in landed properties, there is little else to shout about staying in a landed home as compared to condo living in terms of facilities and landscaping. For me, it will be condo living anytime.

Status is meaningless if it does not lead to better quality of life.
I agree with you. To me, landed propery is meaningless unless I stay in the Nassim area. I will stay in a condo any time too. Staying in a condo in the Orchard area is any time higher social status than staying in a landed in some ulu place in the east. Hahaha.

Old 05-04-2014, 05:06 PM
Unregistered

Poor soul, 35, earn only $3.5k pm. Wife, 28, earn only $2.5k pm. Luckily we can afford a 3 room BTO HDB flat. Bought very cheap. Thank you HDB.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:12 PM
Unregistered

Used to live in a condo too but moved to landed when walls started cracking when upstairs did msrble flooring...it is just a space in the sky compared to owning land...and do not need to live in fear of collapsing buildings ha ha...
Old 05-04-2014, 05:24 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Used to live in a condo too but moved to landed when walls started cracking when upstairs did msrble flooring...it is just a space in the sky compared to owning land...and do not need to live in fear of collapsing buildings ha ha...
Used to live in a landed but moved to a condo when rats start to visit our home. Also could not stand the constant barking of dogs and salemen knocking on our doors. We now live in a more peaceful environment. We love the facilities and landscaping too.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:07 PM
Unregistered

Problems I faced when staying in landed (terrace).

1. Porch only enough space for 1 car, and road outside always jammed with neighbours' cars. Situation nightmarish during major festivities like CNY, Christmas, or whenever a neighbour holds a gathering.

2. Mosquitoes infestation. You can clean up all you want, but neighbours' overgrown plants and unkempt lawn are attracting all sorts of insects.

3. Walls and floors cracked when neighbours start building taller homes (3 and 3.5 stories) in the place of single and double storey homes.

4. Very unsightly and non-uniform facade. Those neighbours who could not afford to upgrade their homes are spoiling the looks of newer homes. Likewise, those newer homes are blocking out the views and air flow of the shorter older homes.

5. Can get very hot and stuffy.

6. Don't have any views.

7. Any repairs to home can be expensive. Also no collective sharing of costs with neighbours.

8. Got to bring out thrash

9. Outside road narrowed by cars parked along the road. Dangerous for people to walk.

Aiyoh, too many to list. Also it brought back not so fond memories......

Quote:

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app