Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   How much are you earning per annum? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/831-how-much-you-earning-per-annum.html)

Unregistered 06-08-2012 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by if_i_may_say_so (Post 27327)
Recently, a discussion with my friend entailed a conclusion that one's pay is inversely proportional to one's intellect.

Please feel free to engage in a meaningful discussion but kindly refrain from simply name-calling. It's rude and uncouth. Appreciate it. Thank you.

all i said is that pay is has no relation to one's intellect
intellect has a very mild relation to academic results...

look at steve and bill

i know people who have 1st class and cant even hold a conversation cause they just mug and mug in their major and know nothing outside their major

i feel you are oversimplifying things ... and your conclusion that one's pay is inversely proportional to one's intellect is very ah Q...

because your LSE frens learn peanuts, they feel they are earning little because they are smart... its extremely ah Q....

and i also do not know what you mean by 6 figures, is it monthly or yearly??

it is really not that hard to earn annual 6 figures, 8.4k monthly is enough

Unregistered 06-08-2012 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 27376)
all i said is that pay is has no relation to one's intellect
intellect has a very mild relation to academic results...

look at steve and bill

i know people who have 1st class and cant even hold a conversation cause they just mug and mug in their major and know nothing outside their major

i feel you are oversimplifying things ... and your conclusion that one's pay is inversely proportional to one's intellect is very ah Q...

because your LSE frens learn peanuts, they feel they are earning little because they are smart... its extremely ah Q....

and i also do not know what you mean by 6 figures, is it monthly or yearly??

it is really not that hard to earn annual 6 figures, 8.4k monthly is enough

Be that as it may, it is always easier to learn how to hold a conversation than to mug.
I admit I may be a little biased as my EQ is very low and my grades(not IQ) is above average. I feel it is unfair that people who party all day will probably end up with higher pay than me what with the current emphasis by employers to look for "team-leaders" blablabla...but the world's like that

Unregistered 06-08-2012 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 27307)
2 yrs as a software tech. support, earning $200k, only 25 this year. easy job, 9 to 5, no OT. most of the time just tell user to rtfm, it's not in the product..

Cool story, bro. Really cool story.
Not to mention totally believable.

Unregistered 06-08-2012 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 27307)
2 yrs as a software tech. support, earning $200k, only 25 this year. easy job, 9 to 5, no OT. most of the time just tell user to rtfm, it's not in the product..

Do you happen to be working in As*****?

Used to do the same to those irritating idiots. Ask them for remote access then go in and snoop around, then say they didn't install properly and ask them to download latest patch and try again. LOL.

Now earning about $240K after I jump ship. Every day still facing the same stupid idiots. KNN, now got ticket tracking so must response within 4 hours for to those idiots. Last time more lobo..

Unregistered 07-08-2012 10:08 AM

Cheap labours spoiling the market

Quote:

Originally Posted by luwb (Post 26916)
Get a grip!!....I am already seeing more AngMo doing valet parking, waiting at the table and etc......When one is jobless and penniless, any job is better than no job at all.

And yes, I will take yr advise to dream on but I doubt it will be too far in the future. To answer to yr second comments, the only way I am involve in foot message is either as a customer or to open a foot message retail outlet and employ FT to do it. Plse sent yr resume and I will consider seriously. If u r a AngMo, u hv the upper hand over other applicants.

this type of thinking is harmful. You are the typical sinkies that accept any low pay employers give you and spoil the market. One willing to work at lower pay, others will follow. Employers will take for granted that I can get a cheaper one why should I pay for the expensive one to do the same thing. No wonder they importing so many chinamen to spoil the market. Don't complain about locals getting low pay when you yourself accept it!

Unregistered 07-08-2012 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 27358)
Wah woman, you so free to write long reply?

You got no baby to take care?

Hubby busy working, no time for you?

Come here to drown your loneliness?

Go to old folks home to cheer the old folks better than whining petty nonsense

Feel like giving you TWO TIGHT SLAP! PUI!

Unregistered 07-08-2012 03:04 PM

Engineer
10 years exp
$500,000 pa

Hermit 07-08-2012 05:44 PM

Dear Miss Young Lady "If I May Say So",

There is no solution to your gripe. Professions such as journalism and academia do not, and will never, pay as well. University degree brands are not always tickets to big paychecks. Look at the number of half-brained bankers wannabes out there. I have a family member who is paid obscene money working in a bank, and he talks rubbish, cannot manage his kids, divorced once, and is in danger of dropping dead from having a stroke.

If you enjoy your vocation, then you have to accept the dollar value associated with it. The dollar value does not define your worth, but how much the industry is willing to pay.

Perhaps the government has oversimplified things when we were growing up. Study hard. Do well in school. Good degree. Good job. Good money.

Now that we are all out here, we realise while the formula works to a certain degree, there are many many exceptions. Yes, there is IQ, and EQ etc. And there are also paradigm shifts, technological advancements, deregulation of certain sectors etc etc. All these feed into the long financial reward formula. Hey, don't forget we are also in the middle of the great era of college dropouts building websites that are not-yet-profitable and selling them for billions of dollars !

Personally, I am not all sure academic achievements imply greater intellect. And intellect has not been proven to be proportionately rewarded. Last week I sat next to surgeon at a wedding dinner. he jokingly told everyone that doctors only ranked 7th on the scale of intelligence. The top of the scale were the mathematicians and the physicists. But while the doctor drives a Maserati, I remember my Math and Physics professors were driving bread-and-butter vehicles.

big bird 08-08-2012 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 27156)
$65k per month average is quite low.

I'm full time selling bovine output and peripherals, averaging $195k per month.

Every Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs, Fri, Sat, Sun, i do not work.

about me
$195k per month is quite low. i part time buy/sell aircraft parts i.e. engines & landing gears.
trade allowance 200k per month. no cpf, no transport allowance due rolls royce provided.
bonus so far highest 7 months, lowest 6 months. no medical benefits due working days lesser than 5 days per month. company say labour law. dunno wu yah bo.

Unregistered 08-08-2012 07:51 PM

just stop all the ******** already. It's getting boring. Not funny at all. This thread is for sharing life experience. Better go waste your time on something else