How much are you earning per annum? - Page 176 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




How much are you earning per annum?

 Citibank Cash Back Card - up to $350 cash back* - Click to Apply Now 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1751 (permalink)  
Old 25-07-2012, 11:08 AM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 19
pretz is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
base on your PSLE result 260+, you should be the top 5-10% of your cohort...why in the end you couldn't even get into local university?!?!
After PSLE, i went to Raffles like my 2 older brothers, but unlike my 2 older brothers, during Sec 4 + JC1 & JC2, i was busy chasing pussy. I got caught stealing, made a SCGS girl pregnant, almost expelled from ACJC for fighting...

I got only 3 A's compared to my brothers who both for 9 A1 for O-levels.
I got CDDE for my A-levels compared to my brothers who got AAAA 1S paper distinction and AAAA 2S paper distinction.

I couldn't get into the local universities even after appeal, and my 2 older brothers were in the Dean's list for NUS and NTU respectively.

In my family's eyes, i'm a total failure. I still feel that way sometimes.

Reply With Quote
  #1752 (permalink)  
Old 25-07-2012, 11:23 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Well.. at least you got pussy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pretz View Post
After PSLE, i went to Raffles like my 2 older brothers, but unlike my 2 older brothers, during Sec 4 + JC1 & JC2, i was busy chasing pussy. I got caught stealing, made a SCGS girl pregnant, almost expelled from ACJC for fighting...

I got only 3 A's compared to my brothers who both for 9 A1 for O-levels.
I got CDDE for my A-levels compared to my brothers who got AAAA 1S paper distinction and AAAA 2S paper distinction.

I couldn't get into the local universities even after appeal, and my 2 older brothers were in the Dean's list for NUS and NTU respectively.

In my family's eyes, i'm a total failure. I still feel that way sometimes.




SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #1753 (permalink)  
Old 25-07-2012, 11:27 AM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 19
pretz is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mid life crisis View Post
Dear experts,

I am in my mid-40s and now in a mid-life crisis.
I work as a manager in the back office of a financial institution.
I work well with others but due to nasty politics, I'm unable to climb higher.

I feel very down, everyday going to the office, knowing that I am not realizing my full potential. I feel like quitting, but with family obligations (mortgage, kids, parents, etc), I can't do that.

Changing to a new company is also not easy in this environment. I'm thinking of joining the teaching profession or perhaps become a real estate agent or financial planner.

Can any experts here help advise? Currently I'm earning $110k per annum. Would these jobs give me that much?

What would you do if you're in my situation?

I believe if you want to maintain at least the current level of income or within 10% of it, either Teaching or Real Estate will not be able to meet your requirements, not for the next 5 years i believe. And I think you will need to work doubly hard.

Try and do what my ex-colleague did; he was 42 and knew he was in a dead-end job. Last year he spent about $10k in a new wardrobe, new look, etc etc, and then he started meeting people, networking all over from scratch. He's 44 now and just started early this year in a Management Consultanting role in a company that used to compete with his.

You have one very important thing above all the young single hotshots willing to put in 12hrs a day; your experience. Try to sell that aspect of yourself.

Reply With Quote
  #1754 (permalink)  
Old 25-07-2012, 11:33 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pretz View Post
I believe if you want to maintain at least the current level of income or within 10% of it, either Teaching or Real Estate will not be able to meet your requirements, not for the next 5 years i believe. And I think you will need to work doubly hard.

Try and do what my ex-colleague did; he was 42 and knew he was in a dead-end job. Last year he spent about $10k in a new wardrobe, new look, etc etc, and then he started meeting people, networking all over from scratch. He's 44 now and just started early this year in a Management Consultanting role in a company that used to compete with his.

You have one very important thing above all the young single hotshots willing to put in 12hrs a day; your experience. Try to sell that aspect of yourself.
What your colleague did was a gamble. And he's just started in his new job... you'll never know if it's yet another sh*tty place.

What I would do is to start a small business... no matter how small, as long as I make it profitable, I'll quickly move on to create other new businesses and grow from there. It's not easier than switching wardrobe, but I get to be in control of more things. Just sharing my thoughts.
Reply With Quote
  #1755 (permalink)  
Old 25-07-2012, 02:29 PM
Qaz Qaz is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 44
Qaz is on a distinguished road
Default

Whn you say you are not realizing ur full potential, wat do you mean? In terms of earnings, you are already among the top 20% of resident taxpayers! And iirc, only 40% of singaporeans pay tax..
Reply With Quote
  #1756 (permalink)  
Old 25-07-2012, 06:18 PM
Millionaire Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 275
Hermit is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mid life crisis View Post
Dear experts,

I am in my mid-40s and now in a mid-life crisis.
I work as a manager in the back office of a financial institution.
I work well with others but due to nasty politics, I'm unable to climb higher.

I feel very down, everyday going to the office, knowing that I am not realizing my full potential. I feel like quitting, but with family obligations (mortgage, kids, parents, etc), I can't do that.

Changing to a new company is also not easy in this environment. I'm thinking of joining the teaching profession or perhaps become a real estate agent or financial planner.

Can any experts here help advise? Currently I'm earning $110k per annum. Would these jobs give me that much?

What would you do if you're in my situation?
Hi Mid Life Crisis,

Do you have fire in the belly for any of the careers you think you might want to try ? If not, you can be one of the many who fall by the wayside after a while.
Reply With Quote

  #1757 (permalink)  
Old 25-07-2012, 07:16 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 21
luwb is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mid life crisis View Post
Dear experts,

I am in my mid-40s and now in a mid-life crisis.
I work as a manager in the back office of a financial institution.
I work well with others but due to nasty politics, I'm unable to climb higher.

I feel very down, everyday going to the office, knowing that I am not realizing my full potential. I feel like quitting, but with family obligations (mortgage, kids, parents, etc), I can't do that.

Changing to a new company is also not easy in this environment. I'm thinking of joining the teaching profession or perhaps become a real estate agent or financial planner.

Can any experts here help advise? Currently I'm earning $110k per annum. Would these jobs give me that much?

What would you do if you're in my situation?

This is a typical story of a mid-life crisis person. Personally, I helped 7 of my friends in the same situation to get back on their feet. It is not easy.
Reply With Quote
  #1758 (permalink)  
Old 25-07-2012, 07:21 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by luwb View Post
This is a typical story of a mid-life crisis person. Personally, I helped 7 of my friends in the same situation to get back on their feet. It is not easy.
How did you help them?
Reply With Quote
  #1759 (permalink)  
Old 26-07-2012, 07:01 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

So basis your current earnings and job, are you much better than your 2 elder brothers who are more academically inclined than yourself ?

Do you consider your current job in chartering to be short in career life span? Sounds like something a person will do for about 5-10 years and then someone younger can step in and do just as good a job, if not better. Your views ?

*********

After PSLE, i went to Raffles like my 2 older brothers, but unlike my 2 older brothers, during Sec 4 + JC1 & JC2, i was busy chasing pussy. I got caught stealing, made a SCGS girl pregnant, almost expelled from ACJC for fighting...

I got only 3 A's compared to my brothers who both for 9 A1 for O-levels.
I got CDDE for my A-levels compared to my brothers who got AAAA 1S paper distinction and AAAA 2S paper distinction.

I couldn't get into the local universities even after appeal, and my 2 older brothers were in the Dean's list for NUS and NTU respectively.

In my family's eyes, i'm a total failure. I still feel that way sometimes.
Reply With Quote
  #1760 (permalink)  
Old 26-07-2012, 09:35 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

38 Year Old
IT Manager
$113K per annum
Time running out
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
bond, bond breaking, income pa, lawyer, saf

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Industries with Highest Proportion Earning 5-Figure Monthly Income Salary.sg Income and Jobs 23 06-08-2017 05:46 PM
Lawyer earning $25k/mth forged $65k payslip to get job Salary.sg Income and Jobs 2 30-12-2011 02:42 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,027 Replies, 278,732 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,892 Replies, 6,019,172 Views
Job offer from Apple ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
491 Replies, 107,950 Views
Business / System Analyst
2 Replies, 920 Views
Feeling helpless, need advice... ( 1 2)
19 Replies, 6,438 Views
GovTech Tech Associate Program...
9 Replies, 3,289 Views
Mid-Year Civil Servant Bonus 2020 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
95 Replies, 23,565 Views
anyone work as trainer with...
2 Replies, 1,897 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,946 Replies, 1,807,156 Views
MAS : Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
234 Replies, 144,947 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,044 Replies, 831,726 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
9,726 Replies, 3,167,492 Views
HSBC Graduate Programme 2021 ( 1 2)
16 Replies, 2,342 Views
Job Application with MOE... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
251 Replies, 230,249 Views
Enterprise Singapore hiriing... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
122 Replies, 47,094 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,453 Replies, 2,046,506 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,087 Replies, 3,880,857 Views
How much do you need to retire... ( 1 2)
13 Replies, 2,478 Views
GovTech career grade ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
134 Replies, 168,031 Views
Banker or Financial Advisor Career...
9 Replies, 1,177 Views
Compilation of MAs/Analysts Gross... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
157 Replies, 40,394 Views
Engineer Pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
145 Replies, 53,999 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
422 Replies, 276,587 Views
Python programmer skillz and pay
3 Replies, 370 Views
What are your struggles having...
0 Replies, 163 Views
You Can Buy Happiness
8 Replies, 6,730 Views
I need advice
3 Replies, 565 Views
Sharing my Passive and Active...
8 Replies, 2,202 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 08:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2