Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

How much are you earning per annum?

Old 23-07-2012, 06:39 PM
Verified Member

pretz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Vessel Chartering (Clean & Dirty), $12400/month ( $174k / annum), 4 years working experience>>>>>

could you describe your work-life-balance or working hours? Work on public holiday/weekend? No-life?

Need to be station overseas(long term/short term) ??

Stress, hectic (max/min)??
Officially, I am on call 24hrs a day, 7 days a week. Shipping never sleeps, when my vessel is in Saudi Arabai having a problem at 5am in the morning, i wake up to solve it. The real situation is that it has happened once only, ever.

My typical work day : wake up at 9am, shower, change, reach office at 10+.
It is a 99% ang moh company (i'm the only asian) so there is a drinking culture. I'm normally out of the office by 5 - 5.30pm at Harry's having beers (on company account).
My typical work evening : I normally meet brokers 2-3 times a week. This means free dinner/drinks at Morton's, Cut, Prime Society, etc etc, paid for by the brokers. Other evenings i go home to wife, play Call of Duty, Diablo 3.
My typical weekend : if problems, i boot up the laptop and make a few calls to my operations team. if no problems, go for a run then massage, then play Call of Duty/Diablo 3

Dont need to be stationed overseas, but there is the option if i chose.
In Feb/March, i accepted a 8 week posting in USA to absorb their way of working, wife and i flew business class. Stayed at the St. Regis Business executive suite for 8 weeks, got paid USD200/day as per diem. This is only if you ask for it, otherwise if you prefer to stay in Singapore only that is fine.

Stress level... is not extreme. Yes, any mistake you make has the potential of costing millions. If you schedule a vessel wrongly, it can be losses of USD55,000/day PER vessel. I typically control a fleet of 15 vessels. I found i was more stressed in Starhub trying to meet stupid deadlines.

Old 23-07-2012, 06:47 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luwb View Post
After reading so many postings, I can't help feeling that some of u r really over paid.

The financial industry for instance. I hv a friend who is working in this big international financial institution as a middle management purchaser and he is paid close to $20,000 per month. My question is what kind of responsibility or job scope are we talking about to justify that kind of salary? No wonder the there are so much "money" problem in the world.

To make thing worst, we hv a fleet of FT are all 40yrs+ Brits, Norwegians, Americans, Danish and Israeli PRs, about USD300-400k/annum before stock options.

Are they really that good? SERIOUSLY? Just look at US and ERUOPE... A butch of idiots who think they are above others.

I look forward to the day when a ANG-MO doing foot reflex on me and that day is not too far away. Spain unemployment rate has gone unto 24%.
However you look at it, no one will admit (yourself included) that they are being overpaid and accept a lower salary. Before joining the company i am working for now, the boss asked me what my salary was, and what i am expecting.
Before I could respond, he told me to add 20% to my previous salary because Singapore companies pay ****, and told me to add 33% to my expected salary because of the immense monetary responsibility i will be in charge of.

And still i got offered a salary higher than my expected + 33%.

Old 23-07-2012, 06:58 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
You are so wrong. Youngsters these days earning 6k combined are buying 1.8m condo and driving breemers. And they don't have rich parents.
This is what i don't understand.

The generation after me (i'm 32) seems to have no fear about the future.

I was at a club with my new GF and met her friends (23-27yrs old).

I don't drive because i drink too much and also, i feel that the i can't seem to justify the massive depreciation as well as other sundry expenses that racks up to $2k/month.

This guy (27) and his fiance (25), want to move out of their HDB, so they rented a Condo unit together for 2yr contract, paying $3800/month (not including agent fees). They are also sharing the cost of an Audi A5.
Not to mention other fees; every month they are already down $6000/month before they've bought any groceries. He earns $4200/month at Citibank, she earns $3400/month at C&C.

Are they just bad at math or am i crazy?

I get nervous if i don't save at least 40% of my basic every month!

Old 23-07-2012, 07:19 PM
Verified Member

luwb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
dream on... you will probably be the foot masseuse.
Get a grip!!....I am already seeing more AngMo doing valet parking, waiting at the table and etc......When one is jobless and penniless, any job is better than no job at all.

And yes, I will take yr advise to dream on but I doubt it will be too far in the future. To answer to yr second comments, the only way I am involve in foot message is either as a customer or to open a foot message retail outlet and employ FT to do it. Plse sent yr resume and I will consider seriously. If u r a AngMo, u hv the upper hand over other applicants.
Old 23-07-2012, 07:21 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by pretz View Post

I don't drive because i drink too much and also, i feel that the i can't seem to justify the massive depreciation as well as other sundry expenses that racks up to $2k/month.

This guy (27) and his fiance (25), want to move out of their HDB, so they rented a Condo unit together for 2yr contract, paying $3800/month (not including agent fees). They are also sharing the cost of an Audi A5.
Not to mention other fees; every month they are already down $6000/month before they've bought any groceries. He earns $4200/month at Citibank, she earns $3400/month at C&C.

They are bad at Math.

Btw, are you saying you have a wife and a gf too? Nice!
Old 23-07-2012, 10:12 PM
Verified Member

luwb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
However you look at it, no one will admit (yourself included) that they are being overpaid and accept a lower salary. Before joining the company i am working for now, the boss asked me what my salary was, and what i am expecting.
Before I could respond, he told me to add 20% to my previous salary because Singapore companies pay ****, and told me to add 33% to my expected salary because of the immense monetary responsibility i will be in charge of.

And still i got offered a salary higher than my expected + 33%.
I wonder this boss of yours, is he a employed manager or he owns this company.

If he is a salaried man, he is taking no ownership of the company fund and spending it irresponsibly on overpaying the staff. How can one ask the interviewee to add 20% to his existing pay followed by a 33% inclement before asking your existing salary?

If he owes this company, it will be extremely unusual for him to spend his money to overpay his staff unless he/she very sought after.

Old 23-07-2012, 10:46 PM
Unregistered

Hallo Pretz

Thanks for sharing your insights with us.
Are you with an owner or trading house as chartering ?
(** I am suspecting oil majors are out as they typically are unable to pay that well)

Your 174K/yr package (12.4K/mth)
Is this all in, or excludes performance bonus ?

Will be great if you can share some insights.

Cheers.
Old 23-07-2012, 10:49 PM
Unregistered

I will suggest if you do not fully understand the industry Pretz is in, it will be better to keep your shallow comments to yourself. Try googling freight trading / chartering to find out more.

I wonder this boss of yours, is he a employed manager or he owns this company.

If he is a salaried man, he is taking no ownership of the company fund and spending it irresponsibly on overpaying the staff. How can one ask the interviewee to add 20% to his existing pay followed by a 33% inclement before asking your existing salary?

If he owes this company, it will be extremely unusual for him to spend his money to overpay his staff unless he/she very sought after.
Old 24-07-2012, 08:05 AM
Unregistered

Aiyah.. I was a victim too. Scammed by top.

Anyways, I sold the BM and now I'm doing proper work with my savings.

Quote:
Ha, you were one of the impressionable idiots who tried too hard to impress other impressionable idiots. I bet you also flashed fake payment vouchers and doctored bank statements, right?

MLM scammer.
Old 24-07-2012, 08:15 AM
Unregistered

Here's a perspective from someone in that generation: I'm 28 and my wife is 25. I'm earning about $9k+ pm and she is earning mid $3k+.

I spend $2.2k per month on car loan, parking, fuel. $1.5k goes to our parents. I chalk $1.5-$2k on credit cards. We bought a 3RM condo in 2010 and currently pay it off via a mix of CPF and cash. $2k per month of my salary goes to the loan. $350 goes to a ILP I had bought for us. $250 goes to endowment plan for kid.

So this means S$8,300 worth of standard monthly expenses. I save about 20-25% of our combined take home pay.

I feel comfortable with current expense/income ratio as we've settled most of life's big purchases. If anything, I can cut back on amount we give our parents since they don't really need our support anyway. We are young = they are still working.

Quote: