Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   How much are you earning per annum? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/831-how-much-you-earning-per-annum.html)

miwashi 23-02-2012 04:24 PM

if we go by all the lunchtime talk everyone will say they are poorly paid
we need a solid benchmark to draw reference from

thats the problem with forums where no one gives accurate figures
best is to compare with your own friends that you trust

Unregistered 23-02-2012 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IT Professional (Post 21256)
just to share, i'm born in 1976 as well, but from a different jc

IT Professional - 16k basic (management level, responsible for presales and delivery)

The best paid IT people i know are those murex (trading/risk) consultants working as independent contractors in banks e.g. Standard chartered, dbs, anz, etc
They are paid $1500 per day, one month can hit 30k, somemore project duration lasts for years!

Unregistered 23-02-2012 06:27 PM

37 this year. Quit 140k a year job middle last year to be an IT entrepreneur.

2-prong strategy:

(1) Building products (sites, apps) for passive income. May possibly create a hit product and win big. Hoping.

(2) Providing services ("consulting" aka freelancing). Selling time to bring home the bacon.

Not thinking of striking it rich so soon, struggling to even match last drawn pay (at projected 70% mark now). But there's hope yet.

Unregistered 23-02-2012 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 21268)
37 this year. Quit 140k a year job middle last year to be an IT entrepreneur.

2-prong strategy:

(1) Building products (sites, apps) for passive income. May possibly create a hit product and win big. Hoping.

(2) Providing services ("consulting" aka freelancing). Selling time to bring home the bacon.

Not thinking of striking it rich so soon, struggling to even match last drawn pay (at projected 70% mark now). But there's hope yet.

You can still keep yr day time job and see do (1)

(2) is too competitive, just go to elance.com and you know what I mean

I may be wrong, but there are too many such self-employed It free lancers who think they are the 'entreprenuers'.

Unregistered 23-02-2012 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 21272)
You can still keep yr day time job and see do (1)

(2) is too competitive, just go to elance.com and you know what I mean

I may be wrong, but there are too many such self-employed It free lancers who think they are the 'entreprenuers'.

If elance is so good, your job will be gone too. Obviously there is value in being what you called a freelancer.

I had being doing (1) before I quit my day job. I hit my target of getting X dollars per month and that's why I quit to do more of (1) and (2). I know of a few successful entrepreneurs who started with (2) and progressed to building a team doing more of (2) at a larger scale.

I may be delusional, but I believe stable organic growth is the way to go, especially for oldiepreneurs like myself. Day jobs aren't too secure nowadays.

Anonymous 23-02-2012 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miwashi (Post 21255)
I had the best academic thesis in my honors cohort in school last time
and I ended up with 0 promotions after working 8 years
and I am still graded lowest of the low in job grade
and lagging behind all my peers who studied fields that didn't require such high cut-off points

I wonder why i studied so hard

You are probably lacking other skills. If not, it could be that you don't really know how to cross apply knowledge and concepts, OR you have stagnated and have stopped learning and growing after school. The latter is really critical.

Anonymous 23-02-2012 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 21252)
I know lah. You totally missed my point. I was comparing to engineer with good brains earning now 5-6k now.

If you are in top 5 to 10% in school, you will become very sore if you end up being average in your career. Will be cursing why did I study so hard for when young....

If you are in the bottom cohort in school, you will feel very contented if you end up being average in your career.

So are you suggesting that it is perhaps better to suck in school so that
(i) if you screw up at work, it's fine and expected hence you wouldn't feel unhappy, but
(ii) if you actually earn a meagre pay which is slightly higher than others who did better than you in school, you can feel smug and happy, and be more contented about life?

Unregistered 23-02-2012 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 21244)
You are right. I went to the best school and Junior College in the land of Temasek, did an engineering degree and made the mistake of getting an engineering job for the 1st 6 years of life.

That mistake has defined my life till now.

I could only escape to lecturing in a poly. Now 40 y.o drawing only about 120K+ (and I am in a talent grooming programme LOL)!

sounds like me too, PSLE = 265, O level in RI = 7A1s, A level in NJC = 4A, failed to get into Medicine, went to do Electrical Engineering in NUS, graduated with 2nd upper hons.
Graduated in 2001, just before 9/11. Got HP job, survived through 2003 SARS with no pay increment. Finally got sacked on 2005 due to restructuring. Went to study full time masters in NUS, found another engineering job 4k. Pay freeze in 2008-9 due to financial crisis. Now pay is only 5k, age 37.

Anonymous 23-02-2012 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 21283)
sounds like me too, PSLE = 265, O level in RI = 7A1s, A level in NJC = 4A, failed to get into Medicine, went to do Electrical Engineering in NUS, graduated with 2nd upper hons.
Graduated in 2001, just before 9/11. Got HP job, survived through 2003 SARS with no pay increment. Finally got sacked on 2005 due to restructuring. Went to study full time masters in NUS, found another engineering job 4k. Pay freeze in 2008-9 due to financial crisis. Now pay is only 5k, age 37.

I presume you did an engineering masters in 2005. That was a wrong move. You should have used the opportunity to position yourself in a more lucrative sector, or move on to do other things e.g. MBA. Basically you should think about making quantum leaps in terms of pay, rather than incremental changes that an ordinary engineering job offers. A little too late to realise this though, at 37. I have a friend who is in similar shoes. Stuck at DSO even though he's grades were good. He took part time masters in electrical engineering (which to me is a waste of time from the financial point of view). I hope to rescue him some day.

Unregistered 24-02-2012 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 21283)

Yup surpirsingly similar background leh :) Auspicium Melioris Aevi! But I am your senior lah. Also did EE also worked in HP for a while and decided to leave while the going was still ok.

If you are not picky/fussy, I suggest you join teaching in schools or Poly. You can safely plan your yearly vacations all teh way till you are 62 :)