Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   How much are you earning per annum? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/831-how-much-you-earning-per-annum.html)

Unregistered 11-05-2020 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 133286)
I think it's because of people like you who post fake delusional progression that makes no sense and serve no purpose. Why don't you share constructive things like what field of IT. Developer is what? Which field? Web? Mobile? Machine learning? AI? Research? Tuition online? E commerce? Gaming?

What programming language you use. What course you attend to get skills. Any certification?
What Kind of projects you deal with? Specific job title? "developer" is vague as **** for someone who get promoted every 6 months and when there is no promotion claim is internal issue.

We live in a world where sharonliew is neither Chinese or female.

Legit points brought up which is actually helpful rather than just bashing about how everything is fake.

Full stack web developer, Agile environment
C#, nodejs
What kind of project/field, i prefer not to reveal but they are public facing not internal.
I actually do not have any official certs. Had external coaches providing training but weirdly doesn't give an official certification.

Well my title was just software developer despite promotions as it's goes by job grading rather than title and the next 2 are pretty generic like associate and software engineer. Thus prefer to simply say developer.

Title doesn't really tell much in my opinion, there are companies that have senior developer at 2 years experiences, team lead at 3-4 years. While others companies have seniors at 5 years and leads probably at 6-8 years.

Unless you are talking about title like CTO/principle software engineer/solution architect etc. which has a certain standing which might make sense as it does show a certain amount of achievement

Unregistered 12-05-2020 10:34 PM

Saw this in another forum:

I am 33 years old and earn around S$ 500k a year (in total compensation) through my job. I manage a small (less than 10 person) software engineering team for a FAANG co in Singapore.
I post my career story here not to brag, but to offer a data point for what is possible to achieve through persistence and some luck.
Some background: I am self taught in computer science - I never had a single course in formal CS while in university. I am an immigrant here (I come from a poor south asian country).
I came to Singapore to work after finishing my university studies in engineering. I was an average student throughout school - I never won any awards for academic prowess (or any awards for that matter). I did not qualify for any of the better known universities in my country, and graduated from a very average school.
- Years 1-6:
Worked for one of the local research institutes (think of Astar) as a research associate. The work was hard and there were many late nights, but here is where I "grew up" as an engineer. Sometime in year 4/5, I decided to teach myself CS and software engineering. I even crashed Prof. Ben Leong's lectures once.
My salary was a measly S$ 30k a year! At first I was happy and proud for landing a job like this after school (I was finishing university in my home country, and landing a job in Singapore was an exceptional achievement for me). But as the years went by, I grew sad and frustrated at my pay, and decided to pivot to a software engineering career even though I had earned a Masters degree in engineering from one of the local universities along the way.
- Year 7:
Finally left my research job! Did some startup experiments that all failed. Average pay: S$ 150k a year (though I didn't work the full year).
At one point, a startup I was working for fired me and as a direct consequence of that I lost rights to live in Singapore. I had to move back to my country in a hurry, and hunting for jobs from there was exceptionally hard.
- Years 8 - 10:
I finally land a corporate job and start making some real money! It was a software engineering role at an international finance firm (think of something like Nomura / AIG / Prudential). Salary: S$ 200k - 240k.
- Year 11:
Landed a tech-lead type of role at another finance firm. I was responsible for leading small (5 - 10) teams of engineers on the technical parts of a product. Salary: S$ 300k - 330k.
- Year 12:
I land my current gig at a big tech co. I have formal management responsibilities for my team, and am responsible for both the people on my team + the tech produced by our team. All-in total compensation is somewhere between S$ 500k - 550k, depending on how bonuses payout and how the company's stock performs.
Along the way, I interviewed with and rejected (and got rejected by) many, many different firms. Here is a sampling of companies that I turned down (there are many more which turned *me* down as well):
- Other local research institutes.
- "hot" local startups, such as Gojek, Grab etc.
- International finance firms, such as Prudential, Nomura, etc.
- Local finance firms, such as DBS, UOB, etc.
- Local non-tech companies, such as Singtel, Sembcorp, etc.
It was an emotional roller coaster to interview with so many different companies, and even more so to turn down job offers given that I didn't have such abundant employment prospects in the first few years of my career. But along the way, I got really good at prospecting, interviewing, negotiating and evaluating opportunities.
On a side note, many of the local companies have proved to be absolutely terrible to negotiate with - they tend to be extremely fixated on my previous salary and almost always try to lowball by framing their offer as a percentage of current pay.
I am happy to answer questions or offer my perspective on carving a career for yourself in a follow-up post. Feel free to post on the comments. You can also email me with career questions on [email protected] (this is a temp throwaway email address).
For Prof. Ben Leong and Jordan Dea Mattson: thank you so much for interacting with the community here and for your valuable advise. What factors / skills will prove critical in getting to the next level of the corporate ladder and compensation? Do you have any advise I must consider while I try to grow my career?
Thank you for reading!
-
#83938: s://.nuswhispers.com/confession/83938

Unregistered 13-05-2020 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unregistered (Post 133915)
saw this in another forum:

I am 33 years old and earn around s$ 500k a year (in total compensation) through my job. I manage a small (less than 10 person) software engineering team for a faang co in singapore.
I post my career story here not to brag, but to offer a data point for what is possible to achieve through persistence and some luck.
Some background: I am self taught in computer science - i never had a single course in formal cs while in university. I am an immigrant here (i come from a poor south asian country).
I came to singapore to work after finishing my university studies in engineering. I was an average student throughout school - i never won any awards for academic prowess (or any awards for that matter). I did not qualify for any of the better known universities in my country, and graduated from a very average school.
- years 1-6:
Worked for one of the local research institutes (think of astar) as a research associate. The work was hard and there were many late nights, but here is where i "grew up" as an engineer. Sometime in year 4/5, i decided to teach myself cs and software engineering. I even crashed prof. Ben leong's lectures once.
My salary was a measly s$ 30k a year! At first i was happy and proud for landing a job like this after school (i was finishing university in my home country, and landing a job in singapore was an exceptional achievement for me). But as the years went by, i grew sad and frustrated at my pay, and decided to pivot to a software engineering career even though i had earned a masters degree in engineering from one of the local universities along the way.
- year 7:
Finally left my research job! Did some startup experiments that all failed. Average pay: S$ 150k a year (though i didn't work the full year).
At one point, a startup i was working for fired me and as a direct consequence of that i lost rights to live in singapore. I had to move back to my country in a hurry, and hunting for jobs from there was exceptionally hard.
- years 8 - 10:
I finally land a corporate job and start making some real money! It was a software engineering role at an international finance firm (think of something like nomura / aig / prudential). Salary: S$ 200k - 240k.
- year 11:
Landed a tech-lead type of role at another finance firm. I was responsible for leading small (5 - 10) teams of engineers on the technical parts of a product. Salary: S$ 300k - 330k.
- year 12:
I land my current gig at a big tech co. I have formal management responsibilities for my team, and am responsible for both the people on my team + the tech produced by our team. All-in total compensation is somewhere between s$ 500k - 550k, depending on how bonuses payout and how the company's stock performs.
Along the way, i interviewed with and rejected (and got rejected by) many, many different firms. Here is a sampling of companies that i turned down (there are many more which turned *me* down as well):
- other local research institutes.
- "hot" local startups, such as gojek, grab etc.
- international finance firms, such as prudential, nomura, etc.
- local finance firms, such as dbs, uob, etc.
- local non-tech companies, such as singtel, sembcorp, etc.
It was an emotional roller coaster to interview with so many different companies, and even more so to turn down job offers given that i didn't have such abundant employment prospects in the first few years of my career. But along the way, i got really good at prospecting, interviewing, negotiating and evaluating opportunities.
On a side note, many of the local companies have proved to be absolutely terrible to negotiate with - they tend to be extremely fixated on my previous salary and almost always try to lowball by framing their offer as a percentage of current pay.
I am happy to answer questions or offer my perspective on carving a career for yourself in a follow-up post. Feel free to post on the comments. You can also email me with career questions on [email protected] (this is a temp throwaway email address).
For prof. Ben leong and jordan dea mattson: Thank you so much for interacting with the community here and for your valuable advise. What factors / skills will prove critical in getting to the next level of the corporate ladder and compensation? Do you have any advise i must consider while i try to grow my career?
Thank you for reading!
-
#83938: S://.nuswhispers.com/confession/83938

b i g f l e x

Unregistered 16-05-2020 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 133365)
50k per annum 30 yo IT developer.

What does an IT developer do? Pardon my lack of knowledge, but dont com sci grad earn at least 5-6K starting salary these days?

Unregistered 16-05-2020 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 133287)
just shy of 150k this yr working for a GLC

male, in my mid-30s

dont bluff

Unregistered 17-05-2020 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134251)
What does an IT developer do? Pardon my lack of knowledge, but dont com sci grad earn at least 5-6K starting salary these days?

i'm quite surprised this person only earns 50k annually at 30.
Some things that might affect it.
1. Having a degree
2. Job role. Different roles are paid different. helpdesk/it support are usually paid way lower. More technical roles like it developers as like programming websites/applications/backend etc. are paid more.
3. personal skills, in IT it isn't just about years of experience. It's about actual skills you have. Just because you have 10 years of experience doesn't mean you surely will be highly paid. Someone who has 3 years but has better skills that you can easily hold a better salary.

On starting salary..

My personal view on current benchmark of current fresh grad should be around 58-60k annual, around 4+k at a 14 month package (conservative)

58-60k -ish should not be difficult if you have decent skills and take up a hands on technical role in IT.

5-6k are more for the people who managed snatch a position at a better tier company.

Below 4k are usually the bad tier companies, you can easily find a better salary if you have decent skills/ or just look for a better company

Unregistered 17-05-2020 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134449)
i'm quite surprised this person only earns 50k annually at 30.
Some things that might affect it.
1. Having a degree
2. Job role. Different roles are paid different. helpdesk/it support are usually paid way lower. More technical roles like it developers as like programming websites/applications/backend etc. are paid more.
3. personal skills, in IT it isn't just about years of experience. It's about actual skills you have. Just because you have 10 years of experience doesn't mean you surely will be highly paid. Someone who has 3 years but has better skills that you can easily hold a better salary.

On starting salary..

My personal view on current benchmark of current fresh grad should be around 58-60k annual, around 4+k at a 14 month package (conservative)

58-60k -ish should not be difficult if you have decent skills and take up a hands on technical role in IT.

5-6k are more for the people who managed snatch a position at a better tier company.

Below 4k are usually the bad tier companies, you can easily find a better salary if you have decent skills/ or just look for a better company

You all are delusional u know that? Employment pass is only 3.6k . this year they only increase to 3.9k ... meaning company still can hire foreigners vietnamese, phillipines, indian developer at 3.9k.

its with this reasoning my company only pay me 4k ... to them fresh grad is still only 2.8 to 3k pay range... i get only 0.5 months cause company not doing well.

so end up 50k what is so difficult to understand.

Unregistered 20-05-2020 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134485)
You all are delusional u know that? Employment pass is only 3.6k . this year they only increase to 3.9k ... meaning company still can hire foreigners vietnamese, phillipines, indian developer at 3.9k.

its with this reasoning my company only pay me 4k ... to them fresh grad is still only 2.8 to 3k pay range... i get only 0.5 months cause company not doing well.

so end up 50k what is so difficult to understand.

Guidelines for EP are 3.6k (now 3.9k) but rarely any gets their EP if their pay is just meeting the bare requirement of it. I got this info from by my previous HR, based on nationality the actual min salary is way higher then the stated amount.

What are your qualifications and what experience do you have right now?
Like said what role are you performing right now?

Delusional or not you decide, I've applied as a fresh grad previously and also based on the current new fresh grad hired at my company.

Unregistered 20-05-2020 01:22 AM

Sales in Ins
NOA : 173k

Unregistered 20-05-2020 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 133287)
just shy of 150k this yr working for a GLC

male, in my mid-30s

not bad. you are in the 80th percentile i guess.
i am mid 30s 130+k, in a SB