How much are you earning per annum? - Page 112 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




How much are you earning per annum?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1111 (permalink)  
Old 27-12-2011, 05:26 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Dont try to sound politically correct, this is not bluffing myself, these are facts, only ignorant idiots like you are still thinking it is perfect and fair meritocratic world up there.....

There are reasons why the income gap is growing wider and wider, it is not a just simple case of cheap foreign labor flood the local market and depress the wages at the bottom.

The rich here should be made to pay more taxes, they enjoy the best of both world....make more and more money every year but pay lesser and lesser taxes every year.....what the hell, and we have a governement which rob the poor to pay the rich......cut corporate taxes and income taxes and then raise GST to make everyone pay including the poor......
Even if you are willing to be corrupt and sell your soul to the devil, I bet you don't even know where to start. Don't begrudge the rich. It's fair game.

Reply With Quote
  #1112 (permalink)  
Old 28-12-2011, 07:10 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The rich here should be made to pay more taxes, they enjoy the best of both world....make more and more money every year but pay lesser and lesser taxes every year.....what the hell, and we have a governement which rob the poor to pay the rich......cut corporate taxes and income taxes and then raise GST to make everyone pay including the poor......
GST is a fair tax because it taxes those who spend. Obviously the rich spend a lot more than the poor on cars, houses etc so it causes them to pay more taxes. It encourages people to work hard and be thrifty. If you work hard and don't spend, you become rich.

The poor should be directly supported by the Govt to offset the impact of higher taxes... and they are.

This stupid concept of tax the poor to pay the rich is an example of the idiotic thinking opposition come up with when they have no ideas.

Reply With Quote
  #1113 (permalink)  
Old 28-12-2011, 12:20 PM
Super Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 168
Anonymous is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
GST is a fair tax because it taxes those who spend. Obviously the rich spend a lot more than the poor on cars, houses etc so it causes them to pay more taxes. It encourages people to work hard and be thrifty. If you work hard and don't spend, you become rich.

The poor should be directly supported by the Govt to offset the impact of higher taxes... and they are.

This stupid concept of tax the poor to pay the rich is an example of the idiotic thinking opposition come up with when they have no ideas.
I don't particularly dislike the GST as a tax instrument because it serves its purposes. But it is certainly not the finest taxation instrument in its ability to differentiate treatment between the rich and the poor. That the rich would spend more hence pay more GST argument doesn't quite cut it. Yes, it is true that the rich pays more in absolute terms. But the impact on the poor is greater, and this is what naysayers are harping about. Doesn't take a genius to understand this but let me give an illustration here anyway for the avoidance of doubt.

Assuming there are 2 families. A has household income of $1000. B, $10,000. GST at 7% means A pays $70 in GST. B pays $700. One must realise that the $70 that A pays has a greater impact on family A, vis-a-vis $700 in the case of family B. For a poor household, $70 difference could mean whether the electrical bills are paid. However in the case of B, it could be just a difference of what car to drive, whether to go on a vacation.

Simply put, if both A and B shared the same utility function, A is definitely on the lower end of the curve and the delta brought about by a 7% GST is definitely much greater than that for B.

The other way of looking at it is that it is no different from imposing a uniform income tax structure on the rich and poor. This effect is exacerbated because B is likely to have the ability to save a larger proportion of their household income as compared to A. Hence, while A pays 7% of their household income on GST, B probably pays less than 7%.

Does this encourage A to save more and become rich? No, A has no choice but to spend all the money in order to survive. B on the other hand is able to accumulate wealth as it can afford to save.

I suppose this is also why some people are proposing GST exemption for basic necessities like rice, etc. I haven't thought about whether this is a better approach but I can certainly understand the motivation.

Reply With Quote
  #1114 (permalink)  
Old 28-12-2011, 12:32 PM
Super Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 168
Anonymous is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Dont try to sound politically correct, this is not bluffing myself, these are facts, only ignorant idiots like you are still thinking it is perfect and fair meritocratic world up there.....

There are reasons why the income gap is growing wider and wider, it is not a just simple case of cheap foreign labor flood the local market and depress the wages at the bottom.

The rich here should be made to pay more taxes, they enjoy the best of both world....make more and more money every year but pay lesser and lesser taxes every year.....what the hell, and we have a governement which rob the poor to pay the rich......cut corporate taxes and income taxes and then raise GST to make everyone pay including the poor......
Please don't attribute your inability to progress in your career to external factors. Yes, the system could be unfair. So what? Sulking isn't going to change the system. The best people learn to beat the system and make it work in their favour. They don't sit around moping about how the world mistreated them.
Reply With Quote
  #1115 (permalink)  
Old 28-12-2011, 04:12 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
Please don't attribute your inability to progress in your career to external factors. Yes, the system could be unfair. So what? Sulking isn't going to change the system. The best people learn to beat the system and make it work in their favour. They don't sit around moping about how the world mistreated them.
Yes, do something like voting out PAP and give WP a chance to prove their worth. Some people say PAP works best when they are the opposition.
Reply With Quote
  #1116 (permalink)  
Old 28-12-2011, 04:28 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Yes, do something like voting out PAP and give WP a chance to prove their worth. Some people say PAP works best when they are the opposition.
Yea my career is going nowhere because of PAP, I will transform into a high flying EVP banker once WP takes over. Real convincing...
Reply With Quote

  #1117 (permalink)  
Old 28-12-2011, 11:40 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Yea my career is going nowhere because of PAP, I will transform into a high flying EVP banker once WP takes over. Real convincing...
no harm trying. you may even become ceo.
Reply With Quote
  #1118 (permalink)  
Old 29-12-2011, 06:45 AM
Super Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 168
Anonymous is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Yes, do something like voting out PAP and give WP a chance to prove their worth. Some people say PAP works best when they are the opposition.
Regardless of whether PAP or WP is the govt of the day,career wise you will most likely remain where you are.
Reply With Quote
  #1119 (permalink)  
Old 29-12-2011, 01:07 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
Regardless of whether PAP or WP is the govt of the day,career wise you will most likely remain where you are.
Even if he remains where he is, it will still be very satisfying to see his peers who have become EVPs or CEOs lose their jobs due to a change in government.

It's just like the housing market. Many are hoping that it crashes, not that they want or are able to buy anything, but just for the satisfaction of seeing others fail.
Reply With Quote
  #1120 (permalink)  
Old 29-12-2011, 02:47 PM
QXP
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Even if he remains where he is, it will still be very satisfying to see his peers who have become EVPs or CEOs lose their jobs due to a change in government.

It's just like the housing market. Many are hoping that it crashes, not that they want or are able to buy anything, but just for the satisfaction of seeing others fail.
I doubt at his caliber he will really know any peers that are EVP or CEO except in the very broad sense that they are the same age or come from same school in the distant past.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
bond, bond breaking, income pa, lawyer, saf

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Industries with Highest Proportion Earning 5-Figure Monthly Income Salary.sg Income and Jobs 23 06-08-2017 05:46 PM
Lawyer earning $25k/mth forged $65k payslip to get job Salary.sg Income and Jobs 2 30-12-2011 02:42 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
80 Replies, 62,214 Views
Q: Management Associate at SGX ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
84 Replies, 11,787 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
9,659 Replies, 5,446,687 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,573 Replies, 1,251,028 Views
Insurance Agent to Bancassurance...
7 Replies, 5,086 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
329 Replies, 240,280 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
923 Replies, 739,172 Views
DBS Management Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,295 Replies, 234,457 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,816 Replies, 1,057,321 Views
Cold calls/emails to HR ( 1 2)
10 Replies, 1,066 Views
ITE lecturer ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
121 Replies, 113,670 Views
Insurance Management Associate... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
60 Replies, 16,200 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,699 Replies, 2,380,731 Views
Diploma in Digital Marketing at...
2 Replies, 980 Views
Mask price discount in cb period
0 Replies, 32 Views
Marsh Graduate Development Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
43 Replies, 4,225 Views
Pay grade at CSA ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
102 Replies, 23,569 Views
All about Home Affairs Senior... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
168 Replies, 169,220 Views
Local Uni Class of 2020 - COVID19... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
244 Replies, 46,042 Views
Whats your net worth ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,710 Replies, 779,753 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,156 Replies, 879,206 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,207 Replies, 1,858,725 Views
Dentist Salary
7 Replies, 6,038 Views
Fresh Grad from local U cant find... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
55 Replies, 10,357 Views
Our Poll Results: 45% Fresh... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
47 Replies, 21,186 Views
Singtel Management Associate... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
124 Replies, 81,604 Views
Dsta ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
803 Replies, 533,567 Views
Possible to earn passive income... ( 1 2)
12 Replies, 2,322 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,974 Replies, 917,416 Views
High Finance Thread ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
79 Replies, 13,501 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 02:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2