How much are you earning per annum? - Page 1002 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




How much are you earning per annum?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #10011 (permalink)  
Old 26-05-2016, 11:06 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Does this HH income classified as lower middle class in Singapore?
The median HH income in 2015 is $104k.
This one is $136k. So must be upper middle income.

Reply With Quote
  #10012 (permalink)  
Old 26-05-2016, 04:11 PM
Super Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 329
lazyplane is on a distinguished road
Default

Just to insert an opinion piece into this concept of “middle class” or “non middle” class in Singapore with relation to income.
The concept of lower / middle /upper class by virtue is a concept of social stratification.
Social stratification can occur in 3 key distinct forms ie by wealth , power and prestige.
Inherent in a stratification is that the higher in the structure , the more access or power or prestige you have over those below. As it is a social “categorisation” structure, I think there will never be a fixed consensus over what is “working class” , “upper class” or in our context of this discussion, “middle class” . This social categorization will always be moving within the context of its discussion.
Eg : One can argue that middle class means literally the medium (50 percentile) as per household income. But that may not be the only definition as per above, this is a “social” categorisation process and people will perceive differently based on the environment, interactions that surrounds that household/individual.
(In my humble opinion), it is with this in mind, that SG government also produce statistics of average household income BY DWELLING.

See extract below : http://www.singstat.gov.sg/docs/defa...re/pp-s22t.xls
From the data above, one can sense that a high “household income earner” ie top 10% of household income (>$20 per month) can easily be highly dissatisfied if this household current main dwelling is in a landed property .
So what can we conclude from all this ?
Many poster in this forum are asking if they are middle or upper class etc . I don’t know if it is a real question by many individuals or by a single individual that keeps repeating this question. If it is former, I think we must start to ask why so there is such a strong need to upgrade ourselves from our perceived social stratification classification. And if it is really just for pride and prestige, will one ever reach a level of contentment ?

Something to laze and mull about over the day ?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The median HH income in 2015 is $104k.
This one is $136k. So must be upper middle income.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Does this HH income classified as lower middle class in Singapore?


Reply With Quote
  #10013 (permalink)  
Old 26-05-2016, 04:35 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyplane View Post
Just to insert an opinion piece into this concept of “middle class” or “non middle” class in Singapore with relation to income.
The concept of lower / middle /upper class by virtue is a concept of social stratification.
Social stratification can occur in 3 key distinct forms ie by wealth , power and prestige.
Inherent in a stratification is that the higher in the structure , the more access or power or prestige you have over those below. As it is a social “categorisation” structure, I think there will never be a fixed consensus over what is “working class” , “upper class” or in our context of this discussion, “middle class” . This social categorization will always be moving within the context of its discussion.
Eg : One can argue that middle class means literally the medium (50 percentile) as per household income. But that may not be the only definition as per above, this is a “social” categorisation process and people will perceive differently based on the environment, interactions that surrounds that household/individual.
(In my humble opinion), it is with this in mind, that SG government also produce statistics of average household income BY DWELLING.

See extract below : [://.singstat.gov.sg/docs/default-source/default-document-library/publications/publications_and_papers/household_income_and_expenditure/pp-s22t.xls[/
From the data above, one can sense that a high “household income earner” ie top 10% of household income (>$20 per month) can easily be highly dissatisfied if this household current main dwelling is in a landed property .
So what can we conclude from all this ?
Many poster in this forum are asking if they are middle or upper class etc . I don’t know if it is a real question by many individuals or by a single individual that keeps repeating this question. If it is former, I think we must start to ask why so there is such a strong need to upgrade ourselves from our perceived social stratification classification. And if it is really just for pride and prestige, will one ever reach a level of contentment ?

Something to laze and mull about over the day ?
There is no need to use statistics to derive class status. Class status is derived from a cursory look at the dwelling/car that one possesses.

If u live in a 3 room HDB flat and below, you are definitely lower class.
If u live in a 4 room HDB flat with no car, you are in between lower and middle class.
If u live in a 4-5 room HDB flat with a car, you qualify as middle class.

If u live in a 2 room and above condo/private apartment without a car, you also qualify as middle class.
If u live in a 2 room and above condo/private apartment with a working class car, you can edge up to the top middle class.

If u live in a condo with a luxury car priced at a minimum of $200k, many will perceive you to be in the upper class.
Anything above belongs to the upper class in Singapore.

Reply With Quote
  #10014 (permalink)  
Old 26-05-2016, 05:05 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
There is no need to use statistics to derive class status. Class status is derived from a cursory look at the dwelling/car that one possesses.

If u live in a 3 room HDB flat and below, you are definitely lower class.
If u live in a 4 room HDB flat with no car, you are in between lower and middle class.
If u live in a 4-5 room HDB flat with a car, you qualify as middle class.

If u live in a 2 room and above condo/private apartment without a car, you also qualify as middle class.
If u live in a 2 room and above condo/private apartment with a working class car, you can edge up to the top middle class.

If u live in a condo with a luxury car priced at a minimum of $200k, many will perceive you to be in the upper class.
Anything above belongs to the upper class in Singapore.
How can you differentiate class status using flat and car? There are single working adults staying 3/4 room HDB flat or even 1/2 bedroom condo but have greater purchasing power. It depends what kind of lifestyle you want to lead. There are people cash-riched but choose to stay in HDB so as to preserve their saving for urgent use. Even if you use household income, those earning less than any other members in the household may not feel richer because your money is still your money.
Reply With Quote
  #10015 (permalink)  
Old 26-05-2016, 06:06 PM
Super Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 329
lazyplane is on a distinguished road
Default

Did you even read what i wrote ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
There is no need to use statistics to derive class status. Class status is derived from a cursory look at the dwelling/car that one possesses.

If u live in a 3 room HDB flat and below, you are definitely lower class.
If u live in a 4 room HDB flat with no car, you are in between lower and middle class.
If u live in a 4-5 room HDB flat with a car, you qualify as middle class.

If u live in a 2 room and above condo/private apartment without a car, you also qualify as middle class.
If u live in a 2 room and above condo/private apartment with a working class car, you can edge up to the top middle class.

If u live in a condo with a luxury car priced at a minimum of $200k, many will perceive you to be in the upper class.
Anything above belongs to the upper class in Singapore.
Reply With Quote
  #10016 (permalink)  
Old 26-05-2016, 06:09 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Thanks for clarifying.
I'm blessed to be in the high class group.
I own 2 fully paid up condos and a car.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
There is no need to use statistics to derive class status. Class status is derived from a cursory look at the dwelling/car that one possesses.

If u live in a 3 room HDB flat and below, you are definitely lower class.
If u live in a 4 room HDB flat with no car, you are in between lower and middle class.
If u live in a 4-5 room HDB flat with a car, you qualify as middle class.

If u live in a 2 room and above condo/private apartment without a car, you also qualify as middle class.
If u live in a 2 room and above condo/private apartment with a working class car, you can edge up to the top middle class.

If u live in a condo with a luxury car priced at a minimum of $200k, many will perceive you to be in the upper class.
Anything above belongs to the upper class in Singapore.
Reply With Quote

  #10017 (permalink)  
Old 26-05-2016, 06:51 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyplane View Post
Did you even read what i wrote ?
Yes, my good sir, I did indeed read every word of what you wrote, and I applaud your thinking.

Unfortunately, speaking on behalf of the strawberry generation, that is how the majority of my generation feels about the class system and how we classify each individual as such.

There are plenty of other variables to take into consideration if you want to delve deeper into it. Whether or not the individual is married, has dependents, additional liabilities etc. And also whether the individual makes the conscious decision to keep a million dollars in the bank while staying in a 3 room HDB with a bicycle as his chosen transport... this is transparent and frankly, shouldn't be considered in this discussion.

The discussion is about the outward perception that people derive from a cursory and shallow look at an individual.
Reply With Quote
  #10018 (permalink)  
Old 26-05-2016, 06:53 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Yes, my good sir, I did indeed read every word of what you wrote, and I applaud your thinking.

Unfortunately, speaking on behalf of the strawberry generation, that is how the majority of my generation feels about the class system and how we classify each individual as such.

There are plenty of other variables to take into consideration if you want to delve deeper into it. Whether or not the individual is married, has dependents, additional liabilities etc. And also whether the individual makes the conscious decision to keep a million dollars in the bank while staying in a 3 room HDB with a bicycle as his chosen transport... this is transparent and frankly, shouldn't be considered in this discussion.

The discussion is about the outward perception that people derive from a cursory and shallow look at an individual.
edit: replace transparent with 'not transparent to us'
Reply With Quote
  #10019 (permalink)  
Old 26-05-2016, 06:54 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Thanks for clarifying.
I'm blessed to be in the high class group.
I own 2 fully paid up condos and a car.
Yup, from a very shallow and initial perspective, most would find you to be in the upper bracket of this class system.
Reply With Quote
  #10020 (permalink)  
Old 26-05-2016, 07:13 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Yup, from a very shallow and initial perspective, most would find you to be in the upper bracket of this class system.
Why shallow? I worked hard all my life. I came from a low income family. And now you call my high class achievements shallow? Why?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
bond, bond breaking, income pa, lawyer, saf

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Industries with Highest Proportion Earning 5-Figure Monthly Income Salary.sg Income and Jobs 23 06-08-2017 06:46 PM
Lawyer earning $25k/mth forged $65k payslip to get job Salary.sg Income and Jobs 2 30-12-2011 02:42 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,232 Replies, 998,989 Views
anyone working at NCS ? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
329 Replies, 252,399 Views
MINDEF enlistment inspector
2 Replies, 183 Views
ITE lecturer ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
88 Replies, 99,962 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,986 Replies, 1,349,106 Views
International Relations Careers
0 Replies, 41 Views
Job offer from Apple ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
285 Replies, 46,150 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
8,905 Replies, 5,106,288 Views
SPF (Direct-Entry Inspector)
5 Replies, 385 Views
Exxon Mobil Equipment tech or... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,682 Replies, 475,989 Views
Heineken APAC Graduate Programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
271 Replies, 110,141 Views
I am getting promoted in Jan 2020... ( 1 2)
17 Replies, 2,970 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
285 Replies, 222,213 Views
Anyone from Bank of America... ( 1 2)
14 Replies, 2,254 Views
NCS Salary range and Promotion...
0 Replies, 192 Views
Salary increment on contract...
1 Replies, 271 Views
career at astar pays so low? ( 1 2 3)
20 Replies, 34,482 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
360 Replies, 162,954 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,755 Replies, 814,747 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,848 Replies, 1,718,065 Views
MAS : Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
103 Replies, 86,305 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,005 Replies, 798,969 Views
Senior Lab officer @ IMRE
8 Replies, 4,081 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,587 Replies, 963,442 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
35 Replies, 40,434 Views
Queries about Cpib application ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,063 Replies, 469,551 Views
OCBC Graduate Talent Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
132 Replies, 48,007 Views
Civil/Public Sector -... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
380 Replies, 192,621 Views
Need career advice
3 Replies, 450 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,841 Replies, 2,054,191 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 01:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2