Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   How much are you earning per annum? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/831-how-much-you-earning-per-annum.html)

Unregistered 26-05-2016 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 86222)
Does this HH income classified as lower middle class in Singapore?

The median HH income in 2015 is $104k.
This one is $136k. So must be upper middle income.

lazyplane 26-05-2016 03:11 PM

Just to insert an opinion piece into this concept of “middle class” or “non middle” class in Singapore with relation to income.
The concept of lower / middle /upper class by virtue is a concept of social stratification.
Social stratification can occur in 3 key distinct forms ie by wealth , power and prestige.
Inherent in a stratification is that the higher in the structure , the more access or power or prestige you have over those below. As it is a social “categorisation” structure, I think there will never be a fixed consensus over what is “working class” , “upper class” or in our context of this discussion, “middle class” . This social categorization will always be moving within the context of its discussion.
Eg : One can argue that middle class means literally the medium (50 percentile) as per household income. But that may not be the only definition as per above, this is a “social” categorisation process and people will perceive differently based on the environment, interactions that surrounds that household/individual.
(In my humble opinion), it is with this in mind, that SG government also produce statistics of average household income BY DWELLING.

See extract below : http://www.singstat.gov.sg/docs/defa...re/pp-s22t.xls
From the data above, one can sense that a high “household income earner” ie top 10% of household income (>$20 per month) can easily be highly dissatisfied if this household current main dwelling is in a landed property .
So what can we conclude from all this ?
Many poster in this forum are asking if they are middle or upper class etc . I don’t know if it is a real question by many individuals or by a single individual that keeps repeating this question. If it is former, I think we must start to ask why so there is such a strong need to upgrade ourselves from our perceived social stratification classification. And if it is really just for pride and prestige, will one ever reach a level of contentment ?

Something to laze and mull about over the day ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 86224)
The median HH income in 2015 is $104k.
This one is $136k. So must be upper middle income.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 86222)
Does this HH income classified as lower middle class in Singapore?

Unregistered 26-05-2016 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lazyplane (Post 86244)
Just to insert an opinion piece into this concept of “middle class” or “non middle” class in Singapore with relation to income.
The concept of lower / middle /upper class by virtue is a concept of social stratification.
Social stratification can occur in 3 key distinct forms ie by wealth , power and prestige.
Inherent in a stratification is that the higher in the structure , the more access or power or prestige you have over those below. As it is a social “categorisation” structure, I think there will never be a fixed consensus over what is “working class” , “upper class” or in our context of this discussion, “middle class” . This social categorization will always be moving within the context of its discussion.
Eg : One can argue that middle class means literally the medium (50 percentile) as per household income. But that may not be the only definition as per above, this is a “social” categorisation process and people will perceive differently based on the environment, interactions that surrounds that household/individual.
(In my humble opinion), it is with this in mind, that SG government also produce statistics of average household income BY DWELLING.

See extract below : [://.singstat.gov.sg/docs/default-source/default-document-library/publications/publications_and_papers/household_income_and_expenditure/pp-s22t.xls[/
From the data above, one can sense that a high “household income earner” ie top 10% of household income (>$20 per month) can easily be highly dissatisfied if this household current main dwelling is in a landed property .
So what can we conclude from all this ?
Many poster in this forum are asking if they are middle or upper class etc . I don’t know if it is a real question by many individuals or by a single individual that keeps repeating this question. If it is former, I think we must start to ask why so there is such a strong need to upgrade ourselves from our perceived social stratification classification. And if it is really just for pride and prestige, will one ever reach a level of contentment ?

Something to laze and mull about over the day ?

There is no need to use statistics to derive class status. Class status is derived from a cursory look at the dwelling/car that one possesses.

If u live in a 3 room HDB flat and below, you are definitely lower class.
If u live in a 4 room HDB flat with no car, you are in between lower and middle class.
If u live in a 4-5 room HDB flat with a car, you qualify as middle class.

If u live in a 2 room and above condo/private apartment without a car, you also qualify as middle class.
If u live in a 2 room and above condo/private apartment with a working class car, you can edge up to the top middle class.

If u live in a condo with a luxury car priced at a minimum of $200k, many will perceive you to be in the upper class.
Anything above belongs to the upper class in Singapore.

Unregistered 26-05-2016 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 86246)
There is no need to use statistics to derive class status. Class status is derived from a cursory look at the dwelling/car that one possesses.

If u live in a 4 room HDB flat with no car, you are in between lower and middle class.

If u live in a 2 room and above condo/private apartment without a car, you also qualify as middle class.
If u live in a 2 room and above condo/private apartment with a working class car, you can edge up to the top middle class.

If u live in a condo with a luxury car priced at a minimum of $200k, many will perceive you to be in the upper class.

How can you differentiate class status using flat and car? There are single working adults staying 3/4 room HDB flat or even 1/2 bedroom condo but have greater purchasing power. It depends what kind of lifestyle you want to lead. There are people cash-riched but choose to stay in HDB so as to preserve their saving for urgent use. Even if you use household income, those earning less than any other members in the household may not feel richer because your money is still your money.

lazyplane 26-05-2016 05:06 PM

Did you even read what i wrote ?

Quote:

Unregistered 26-05-2016 05:09 PM

Thanks for clarifying.
I'm blessed to be in the high class group.
I own 2 fully paid up condos and a car.

Quote:

Unregistered 26-05-2016 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lazyplane (Post 86251)
Did you even read what i wrote ?

Yes, my good sir, I did indeed read every word of what you wrote, and I applaud your thinking.

Unfortunately, speaking on behalf of the strawberry generation, that is how the majority of my generation feels about the class system and how we classify each individual as such.

There are plenty of other variables to take into consideration if you want to delve deeper into it. Whether or not the individual is married, has dependents, additional liabilities etc. And also whether the individual makes the conscious decision to keep a million dollars in the bank while staying in a 3 room HDB with a bicycle as his chosen transport... this is transparent and frankly, shouldn't be considered in this discussion.

The discussion is about the outward perception that people derive from a cursory and shallow look at an individual.

Unregistered 26-05-2016 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 86254)
Yes, my good sir, I did indeed read every word of what you wrote, and I applaud your thinking.

Unfortunately, speaking on behalf of the strawberry generation, that is how the majority of my generation feels about the class system and how we classify each individual as such.

There are plenty of other variables to take into consideration if you want to delve deeper into it. Whether or not the individual is married, has dependents, additional liabilities etc. And also whether the individual makes the conscious decision to keep a million dollars in the bank while staying in a 3 room HDB with a bicycle as his chosen transport... this is transparent and frankly, shouldn't be considered in this discussion.

The discussion is about the outward perception that people derive from a cursory and shallow look at an individual.

edit: replace transparent with 'not transparent to us'

Unregistered 26-05-2016 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 86252)
Thanks for clarifying.
I'm blessed to be in the high class group.
I own 2 fully paid up condos and a car.

Yup, from a very shallow and initial perspective, most would find you to be in the upper bracket of this class system.

Unregistered 26-05-2016 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 86256)
Yup, from a very shallow and initial perspective, most would find you to be in the upper bracket of this class system.

Why shallow? I worked hard all my life. I came from a low income family. And now you call my high class achievements shallow? Why?