Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   need advice on whether to change job or continue sticking (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/8192-need-advice-whether-change-job-continue-sticking.html)

poorlifeguy 08-12-2016 10:46 PM

need advice on whether to change job or continue sticking

i graduated this year with a computer science degree 2nd upper. currently working for this oracle subsidiary company with a poor salary of $3.4k for 5 months. i heard from my colleagues that they haven't been getting any bonus for the past 2 years. this company also do not have AWS. seeing many of my friends got 4k+ or even 3.5 to 4k range makes me wanna jump ship.

should i stay for more experience or get out as soon as possible? is going into public sector like dsta a good choice?

thanks everyone

Unregistered 08-12-2016 11:52 PM

I doubt you will get 4k with just 5 months exp. Also with the slow economy, many companies are not paying bonus.

If you want to get 3.5k with 'guarantee' bonus then go for civil service or stat board.

poorlifeguy 09-12-2016 08:08 AM

Heard that csit and dsta are paying fresh grad 4.5k inclusive of ns. Can i still join pub sec as a 'fresh grad'?

How much experience do u recommend before jumping ship?

Unregistered 09-12-2016 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poorlifeguy (Post 92927)
Heard that csit and dsta are paying fresh grad 4.5k inclusive of ns. Can i still join pub sec as a 'fresh grad'?

How much experience do u recommend before jumping ship?

that for FCH scholar. you will be consider as professional hired.

if u jump now, another company HR will confirm ask u why change job less than a year?

is the current annual increment good?

poorlifeguy 09-12-2016 11:37 AM

FCH scholar get near 5k - got it from my friend whos inside csit.

But i saw some stated less than 2 yrs working exp also can apply

Annual increment not good at all. Just an avg 5%

Unregistered 09-12-2016 12:51 PM

Your next employer will ask you why did you leave after 5 months. High pay for grads are not the majority. No point comparing with people.

Unregistered 09-12-2016 02:09 PM

Really highlights the younger generation nowadays. Really strawberry generation with entitled mindset. Come out with a plain degree and feel that 3k+ is a low starting salary?!

I don't mean to sound uncle... but at this rate, we will definitely lose jobs to the Pinoys and Indians who come in with freakin Masters degree and willing to take 50% of what these fresh grads are expectin.

Unregistered 09-12-2016 06:16 PM

Exactly.Nowadays younger generation just want high pay high increment but please dont give me more work..My cousin in NUS Ist year was telling me that he wants 4K at least upon graduation. Nothing wrong to think of that but you need to know the actual ground. No doubt there are grads starting high in various industries..but they are not the majority. There is no free lunch in this world. You better peform and deliver when I pay you high. Dont be stuck in your uni books..tons of uni grads out there..its time to take the humble pie.

Unregistered 09-12-2016 09:03 PM

nobody is goin to label u as job hopper or be bothered by your 5 month stint. As most they may ask as passing remark.

u r still a fresh grad. there's nothing wrong for you to explore around to find your fit.

And I don't understand why the 'older' generation here is so eager to settle for mediocrity. Go fight for what you are worth. Don't settle for some low pay and find some lame excuse like 'i dont have exp' to justify your low pay. Otherwise you will end up like those 'older' generation who come here and tell the next 'strawberry' generation they cannot do this cannot do that bcos you failed to achieve anything urself.

Unregistered 09-12-2016 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 92942)
nobody is goin to label u as job hopper or be bothered by your 5 month stint. As most they may ask as passing remark.

u r still a fresh grad. there's nothing wrong for you to explore around to find your fit.

I guarantee you that the FIRST thing all interviewers will ask is why leave after only 5 months. It isn't going to ignored as a passing remark.

Not to say the TS cannot interview for other jobs, but you say until like nobody will care at all is just setting up TS to be unprepared and bomb the interview.