need advice on whether to change job or continue sticking - Page 2 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

need advice on whether to change job or continue sticking

Old 09-12-2016, 10:39 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I guarantee you that the FIRST thing all interviewers will ask is why leave after only 5 months. It isn't going to ignored as a passing remark.

Not to say the TS cannot interview for other jobs, but you say until like nobody will care at all is just setting up TS to be unprepared and bomb the interview.
Many of my peers were alr in their second job less than a year after they grad. I dont see how it will be an issue.

I nvr ask ts not to prepare for it. before u go for any interview, u must prepare of all possible questions. Im jus saying the interviewers wont be bothered by it as much as what the ppl here suggest. as long as u can give a reasonable ans, they wont mark u down jus bcos of it if you have the quality they are lookin for.

Old 09-12-2016, 11:13 PM
Unregistered

yar easily more than half of my cohort dont stay in their 1st job for 1 year. times have change and now companies not concern abt job hopper.

Old 09-12-2016, 11:48 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Many of my peers were alr in their second job less than a year after they grad. I dont see how it will be an issue.

I nvr ask ts not to prepare for it. before u go for any interview, u must prepare of all possible questions. Im jus saying the interviewers wont be bothered by it as much as what the ppl here suggest. as long as u can give a reasonable ans, they wont mark u down jus bcos of it if you have the quality they are lookin for.
Agree on this. many oldies here still stuck in past thinking about co loyalty. nowadays u need to jump every year to get the 20%, else stuck with poor increase

Old 10-12-2016, 12:08 AM

poorlifeguy is on a distinguished road

it looks like those 'scolded' me are those older generation.

i'm just comparing with my peers on the same industry which is IT. many of them are getting higher pay than me. those who scored 2nd lower also got near 4k (private - minus about 300, public - around 4k there). so as a 2nd upper with 3.4k, i felt quite underpaid.

is the company name worth staying for to look good on my resume? or i should just jump ship (maybe to public sector)? i have already prepared my ans in case they ask why did i leave.
Old 10-12-2016, 12:15 AM
Unregistered

Default Park road quad

Quote:
nobody is goin to label u as job hopper or be bothered by your 5 month stint. As most they may ask as passing remark.

u r still a fresh grad. there's nothing wrong for you to explore around to find your fit.

And I don't understand why the 'older' generation here is so eager to settle for mediocrity. Go fight for what you are worth. Don't settle for some low pay and find some lame excuse like 'i dont have exp' to justify your low pay. Otherwise you will end up like those 'older' generation who come here and tell the next 'strawberry' generation they cannot do this cannot do that bcos you failed to achieve anything urself.
Totally bad advice. Fresh grads have no rights to negotiate. 5 months doesnt mean a thing. You can still find your next job. Then after a while you will still feel the pay is low and the cycle goes on and on..
Old 10-12-2016, 12:17 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

You don't see an issue now but in future yes.Totally no sense..Peers leaving doesn't mean you have to follow suit.

Old 10-12-2016, 12:26 AM
Unregistered

Default carabinieri Carrer

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorlifeguy View Post
it looks like those 'scolded' me are those older generation.

i'm just comparing with my peers on the same industry which is IT. many of them are getting higher pay than me. those who scored 2nd lower also got near 4k (private - minus about 300, public - around 4k there). so as a 2nd upper with 3.4k, i felt quite underpaid.

is the company name worth staying for to look good on my resume? or i should just jump ship (maybe to public sector)? i have already prepared my ans in case they ask why did i leave.
To TS, I belong to "older generation". End of the day it's your decision. I mean there is nothing wrong to just leave as you are still fresh grad. When you compare with your peers you will feel inferior and there is no end to such comparisons. How many times can you leave job within 1 year? And when you hop like that, yes so employers will still hire. But how will your 4th employer look at your beautiful track record of 1 year or less each? Nobody will want you, esp when you move on to higher level of roles. You need to demonstrate at least 2.5 to 4 years in a role in ONE company. You can hop here and there, but you will come to a point when you see that this harmful impact. It's very real..don't just follow your peers blindly. Have a thought about your life. Importantly, pay doesn't mean everything. It may mean a lot to you now..but it's really not everything.
Old 10-12-2016, 12:34 AM

Quote:
To TS, I belong to "older generation". End of the day it's your decision. I mean there is nothing wrong to just leave as you are still fresh grad. When you compare with your peers you will feel inferior and there is no end to such comparisons. How many times can you leave job within 1 year? And when you hop like that, yes so employers will still hire. But how will your 4th employer look at your beautiful track record of 1 year or less each? Nobody will want you, esp when you move on to higher level of roles. You need to demonstrate at least 2.5 to 4 years in a role in ONE company. You can hop here and there, but you will come to a point when you see that this harmful impact. It's very real..don't just follow your peers blindly. Have a thought about your life. Importantly, pay doesn't mean everything. It may mean a lot to you now..but it's really not everything.
thanks for the advice.. what if i just wan to hop this once and for the rest of the jobs i will stay for 2 to 4 yrs like what u stated? will it still do any harm?
Old 10-12-2016, 12:42 AM
Unregistered

many losers here just want to spread false advise. trust me if u dun hop u will loose out. some of my colleagues can change 5 jobs in 5 yrs, thats how they reach snr level so fast. stay too long and all u get is 1 pathetic promotion every 5 yrs. now is gen z mentality not baby boomer 20 yrs ago.
Old 10-12-2016, 01:08 AM

Quote:
many losers here just want to spread false advise. trust me if u dun hop u will loose out. some of my colleagues can change 5 jobs in 5 yrs, thats how they reach snr level so fast. stay too long and all u get is 1 pathetic promotion every 5 yrs. now is gen z mentality not baby boomer 20 yrs ago.
does that applicable for private only or a mix between private and public sector?