pay for contract jobs - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




pay for contract jobs

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 19-11-2016, 09:13 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 7
flameberg is on a distinguished road
Default pay for contract jobs

Hi everyone, I was shortlisted as the final candidate for a contract job (6 months) at a bank dealing in credit analyst. If all goes well the job will be offered to me. However as this is my first contract job I am rather unoblivious to many things. The salary agreed upon is slightly less than 3000. Is this figure low for contract job at a bank? I heard many fresh grads get above 3k in banks. If I could successfully convert to permanent would my pay increase? Or will it still be around this range? What other important things should i know? Thank you

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 19-11-2016, 11:50 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameberg View Post
Hi everyone, I was shortlisted as the final candidate for a contract job (6 months) at a bank dealing in credit analyst. If all goes well the job will be offered to me. However as this is my first contract job I am rather unoblivious to many things. The salary agreed upon is slightly less than 3000. Is this figure low for contract job at a bank? I heard many fresh grads get above 3k in banks. If I could successfully convert to permanent would my pay increase? Or will it still be around this range? What other important things should i know? Thank you
This is a typical BO ops job paying 2.5-2.8k for fresh grads. If it's a contract it will be on the higher end due to lack of benefits and normal bonus. If you are a private uni grad, this is the standard type of contract you will get. Very unlikely you will convert to perm in just 6 mths, usually need to rollover at least 2-3 years first.

If you are the 3 local uni grad, then don't bother with such a lousy offer unless no choice.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 19-11-2016, 01:42 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Any reason why you want a contract role? There is no guarantee that it will be converted. One of the mistakes I have made in the past is to take on a 1 year contract role. Benefits aside, the salary alone already cant be compared to a perm role. As you said, you start with slightly below 3K. That is fine provided it's a perm role. You must take into account your bonus. You should focus more on getting a proper role.

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 19-11-2016, 03:16 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 7
flameberg is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
This is a typical BO ops job paying 2.5-2.8k for fresh grads. If it's a contract it will be on the higher end due to lack of benefits and normal bonus. If you are a private uni grad, this is the standard type of contract you will get. Very unlikely you will convert to perm in just 6 mths, usually need to rollover at least 2-3 years first.

If you are the 3 local uni grad, then don't bother with such a lousy offer unless no choice.
Hi thank you so much for your advice. I am from a top 40 university with a masters degree taken overseas. I thought this contract might be good as the private bank is a top tier one. The market is also bad right now and it seems that only contract jobs are active and I plan to work for maybe a year for the experience and name of the bank. I am only worried because I will become an employee of the recruitment agency working for the bank. As I am new to this I am worried ableremboubout potential dangers. Will they abuse the contract to their benefit? Would I be able to renegotiate my salary if I decide to extend my contract? Thank you
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 19-11-2016, 03:20 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 7
flameberg is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Any reason why you want a contract role? There is no guarantee that it will be converted. One of the mistakes I have made in the past is to take on a 1 year contract role. Benefits aside, the salary alone already cant be compared to a perm role. As you said, you start with slightly below 3K. That is fine provided it's a perm role. You must take into account your bonus. You should focus more on getting a proper role.
Hello thank you so much for your infomation. I thought that a contract with a top tier firm may increase my chances of finding better positions in other companies or at least another position in the same firm. I heard that though contract pay is low, I can renegotiate my salary wheb the contract ends. Am I making the right decision? Would the rep of the bank be worth this contract?


Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 19-11-2016, 04:41 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameberg View Post
Hi thank you so much for your advice. I am from a top 40 university with a masters degree taken overseas. I thought this contract might be good as the private bank is a top tier one. The market is also bad right now and it seems that only contract jobs are active and I plan to work for maybe a year for the experience and name of the bank. I am only worried because I will become an employee of the recruitment agency working for the bank. As I am new to this I am worried ableremboubout potential dangers. Will they abuse the contract to their benefit? Would I be able to renegotiate my salary if I decide to extend my contract? Thank you
You will need to be more specific what you mean by top masters degree overseas. Unless it's those widely recognized ivy-league universities, your overseas masters will still rank behind a normal bachelor's degree from a local university by most employers.

As for so called 'top tier' bank name (Julius Baer? BOS? JPM? UBS?), they are generally not worth much in your case because it's just a contractor job with backroom operations. You will not get any significant uplift in your CV between taking up a contract with say Julius Baer compared with a local bank like UOB.

Since your contract is directly with the agency, you are technically not part of the bank. You can write in your CV you support the bank's operations as a contractor, but you cannot say you are an employee of the bank, so all your pay and benefits will follow the agency policy, not the bank policy.

Also as a helpful tip, do not LIE in your CV that you are employed by the bank especially if you intend to continue in the banking industry. Banking recruitment compliance is very strict in the sense they will ask you to furnish your employment contract, payslip and referees. I have a friend who tried to smoke by implying during interview he was with SCB and when he couldn't submit any documents proving that, the offer was retracted and he end up black listed by the bank.
Reply With Quote

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 19-11-2016, 05:02 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameberg View Post
Hello thank you so much for your infomation. I thought that a contract with a top tier firm may increase my chances of finding better positions in other companies or at least another position in the same firm. I heard that though contract pay is low, I can renegotiate my salary wheb the contract ends. Am I making the right decision? Would the rep of the bank be worth this contract?
I understand that the market may not be good now, you just need to bite the bullet and find the roles. Good roles don't come easy. I have a masters as well, and getting a contract role for yourself is not justifiable.
Well, agencies will always sell the roles by saying its top tier bank etc..But end of the day you are still a contractor. Especially in the banking industry, roles are in contracts for a reason. Don't think about conversion, renegotiating salary at the end of it, because it's not certain. Your contract may be renewed or else you have to join another company. Rep of the bank is important but not everythng. I rather you have a perm role in a lower tier bank with good learning curve. Another view is that it does helps in your next employment if you work with a top rep bank, but that is provided you stay long enough to gain the experience. If you say you can move to a better position just because you had 6 months experience in a top rep bank, this is not well perceived by employers.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 19-11-2016, 06:08 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I think TS first need to be more transparent and tell us exactly what is his masters and from where. Also what bank is he talking about and what is the offer in terms of salary, bonus and benefit. It is very hard to advise if he keep beating around the bush.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 19-11-2016, 09:00 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 7
flameberg is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
You will need to be more specific what you mean by top masters degree overseas. Unless it's those widely recognized ivy-league universities, your overseas masters will still rank behind a normal bachelor's degree from a local university by most employers.

As for so called 'top tier' bank name (Julius Baer? BOS? JPM? UBS?), they are generally not worth much in your case because it's just a contractor job with backroom operations. You will not get any significant uplift in your CV between taking up a contract with say Julius Baer compared with a local bank like UOB.

Since your contract is directly with the agency, you are technically not part of the bank. You can write in your CV you support the bank's operations as a contractor, but you cannot say you are an employee of the bank, so all your pay and benefits will follow the agency policy, not the bank policy.

Also as a helpful tip, do not LIE in your CV that you are employed by the bank especially if you intend to continue in the banking industry. Banking recruitment compliance is very strict in the sense they will ask you to furnish your employment contract, payslip and referees. I have a friend who tried to smoke by implying during interview he was with SCB and when he couldn't submit any documents proving that, the offer was retracted and he end up black listed by the bank.
Thank you for all your input. Base on most of the comments here it seems like it isn't that good to accept the job then. I thought it might be a good learning chance in this bad market. Now I am at a loss of what to do as the market is really slow except for contract jobs.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 19-11-2016, 09:02 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 7
flameberg is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I understand that the market may not be good now, you just need to bite the bullet and find the roles. Good roles don't come easy. I have a masters as well, and getting a contract role for yourself is not justifiable.
Well, agencies will always sell the roles by saying its top tier bank etc..But end of the day you are still a contractor. Especially in the banking industry, roles are in contracts for a reason. Don't think about conversion, renegotiating salary at the end of it, because it's not certain. Your contract may be renewed or else you have to join another company. Rep of the bank is important but not everythng. I rather you have a perm role in a lower tier bank with good learning curve. Another view is that it does helps in your next employment if you work with a top rep bank, but that is provided you stay long enough to gain the experience. If you say you can move to a better position just because you had 6 months experience in a top rep bank, this is not well perceived by employers.
Ah ok thank you. Guess I shld just carry on looking for a perm job at oth3r banks.


Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Contract jobs being repackaged as internships warning Income and Jobs 10 07-08-2017 11:35 AM
DBS Contract Job pay is how much? intrigued Income and Jobs 3 22-10-2015 08:18 PM
Contract Jobs allstar Income and Jobs 2 21-01-2015 10:23 PM
Question about contract jobs in Ministries rapier82 Income and Jobs 5 02-09-2011 01:35 AM
Are 4 year contract jobs odd? angelamurphy59 Income and Jobs 2 30-01-2011 04:51 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Cybersecurity/Info security career ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
199 Replies, 51,388 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
666 Replies, 335,246 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,952 Replies, 1,514,528 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
14,893 Replies, 5,054,474 Views
DSTA (under Mindef) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,059 Replies, 775,686 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
729 Replies, 383,698 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,235 Replies, 1,534,442 Views
Changi Airport Group ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
419 Replies, 405,779 Views
Year end bonus for civil service ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
345 Replies, 71,596 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,409 Replies, 643,785 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
551 Replies, 320,739 Views
NUS (National University of... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
144 Replies, 128,795 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,861 Replies, 4,482,214 Views
Compilation of MAs/Analysts Gross... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
844 Replies, 245,492 Views
Whats your net worth ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,870 Replies, 987,295 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,968 Replies, 7,660,842 Views
Owning a car in Singapore - the...
1 Replies, 891 Views
AML/Compliance/KYC professionals... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,541 Replies, 767,707 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,182 Replies, 586,566 Views
SIA AO grades ( 1 2 3)
26 Replies, 12,799 Views
GovTech Tech Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
180 Replies, 56,108 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,808 Replies, 2,164,399 Views
Citibank Singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
172 Replies, 115,189 Views
Standard Chartered International... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
70 Replies, 78,408 Views
OCBC Graduate Talent Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
932 Replies, 293,526 Views
Career at Keppel
4 Replies, 1,432 Views
NCS (SingTel subsidiary) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
601 Replies, 477,194 Views
Exxon Mobil Equipment tech or... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,930 Replies, 648,752 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
213 Replies, 81,705 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,061 Replies, 1,882,864 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 06:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2