Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

How is life as a doctor in Singapore?

Old 20-10-2021, 07:30 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Dont worry abt the mohh bond. Can be waived. just need ur dean office to write a letter.

Many years ago i thought of quiting as well. So i sent an email to my assistant dean student affair. She immediately organised a meeting with me. I wanted to do history. But she was very nice and referred me to a practising senior clinician. I didn’t quit in the end. And now just passed my exit exams.

I think u need to ask yourself what is your interest. Are u a people person. Year 2 pathology and year 1 physiology very different from real life doctoring . But do approach ur students affair assistant dean.

Do explore cs1010 if you wanna do computing.

I would like to thank prof marie veronique and nus yllsom for the support years ago.

I wish you happiness but really do approach ur students affairs.
Wow what are you specializing in

Old 20-10-2021, 01:07 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hi, would like to check with seniors who have left mohh for gp land. I was just wondering when we apply to join a chain gp group, what do they look for in our cv? I have done a variety of postings during my time as mopex (including IM, ED, CE, and polyclinic), I am taking the upcoming gdfm exam (although I know qualification doesn't matter much in private). Unfortunately I didn't locum during my time in mohh.

Was wondering how they choose suitable candidate (in the initial interview phase) and how I can boost my CV? (I know once you start work it's all Abt performance and generating profit for them)
Actually why join chain group? Why not just open your own clinic. If you have a specialization and can clobber 2 other colleague, you can easily start your own clinic. If you lack the funds let me know.

Old 20-10-2021, 05:09 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Actually why join chain group? Why not just open your own clinic. If you have a specialization and can clobber 2 other colleague, you can easily start your own clinic. If you lack the funds let me know.
I have a m.med in family medicine and 3 years of ops experience.
Women, children , old folks , depressed I can also do. Heartland folks love me as I can speak hokkien, teochew Cantonese and Malay . I frequently get good feedback from patient. The many 10 dollars I get each time I get a good feedback I eat Aston many many times.
Plus Im a registered acupuncturist and can deal with all sorts of pain , insomnia, for people seeking alternative modality of treatment.

I feel ops is under paying me for my talents.

Can u invest 500k for me to startup a swanky new chain?

Old 20-10-2021, 05:23 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Women, children , old folks , depressed I can also do. Heartland folks love me as I can speak hokkien, teochew Cantonese and Malay . I frequently get good feedback from patient. The many 10 dollars I get each time I get a good feedback I eat Aston many many times.
Plus Im a registered acupuncturist and can deal with all sorts of pain , insomnia, for people seeking alternative modality of treatment.

Old 20-10-2021, 07:54 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Yes. Do computer science or anything else. Actually doctoring is out. Its the new modern day high class labor.

I am glad I was not smart enough to do medicine. hahaha.
Smart people hire doctors instead of becoming doctors.

A few months ago many people including me predicted Covid cases would explode in SG. We even know the cause and solution. Somehow they still cannot understand.
Old 20-10-2021, 08:04 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYJBL View Post
Hi everyone, this is a personal struggle of mine that I would like to share. I would greatly appreciate any advice and new perspectives.

I just started my first year of med sch locally. 2 months into the course, I realised that I hated studying about pathology and everything that could go wrong with the human body. A common quote is that knowledge is power. However, I felt that ignorance was bliss. Learning about all the ways our human body could go wrong gave me very bad anxiety and caused me a lot of fear. I would constantly relate what I was learning to my own body and I just felt it was depressing in nature to know about all of these things. I realized I would rather not know about them. This was something that I never thought would occur to me and hence was not something I considered during my decision to apply for medical school. It made me miserable and very unhappy. I also felt very bad about the people that get sick. In a sense, seeing sick people made me depressed, anxious, and miserable. I was stupid for having not thought this through.

As such, I am thinking about dropping out of medical school two months in and breaking the MOHH bond. I am thinking about transferring to computer science or chemistry, since chemistry was my favorite subject while studying for the A levels. I would try to sign up for teaching if I took chemistry.

I would like to hear any perspectives on this matter. I consider this to be the biggest crossroad in my life and would appreciate any advice, as to whether my problem is something that can be resolved, or something which is so critical I would be better dropping out. Thank you so much.

A confused y1 medical student
have u tried coding etc before wanting to go to comp science?

comp science has good money but in the real world u r competing against a global workforce. im not saying u cant do well in comp science since u r smart enough to get into med but u should weigh the competition as well.

i met a person who has masters in math and comp science. another person codes day in day out because he loves it to get to where he is now with a bach in math.

go for what u like and what u can do well.

Old 20-10-2021, 08:09 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

comp science has good money but in the real world u r competing against a global workforce. im not saying u cant do well in comp science since u r smart enough to get into med but u should weigh the competition as well.

i met a person who has masters in math and comp science. another person codes day in day out because he loves it to get to where he is now with a bach in math.

also, check out the job descriptions for comp science. go to jobstreet. see if it interests u.. at the very basic there should be a lot of debugging? looking at where went wrong, how it can be improved. and u can choose from there.
Old 20-10-2021, 08:09 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

Your last sentence is the most important.
Old 20-10-2021, 10:39 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

Nowadays they give $10 if you have complimentary letter? That's good. At least something. I still have all the letters I got last time in my file but back then no $$$.
You did the GDA? Don't the OPS also have Acupuncture clinic? I know one of the OPS Head also had GDA.
Acupuncture hard to incorporate into medical practice and make money. You should know. More of a case of looks good sounds good but not practical as a business that wants to make money.
Old 20-10-2021, 11:59 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Smart people hire doctors instead of becoming doctors.

A few months ago many people including me predicted Covid cases would explode in SG. We even know the cause and solution. Somehow they still cannot understand.
exactly my point.
Will always have people want to waste their time being a doctor.
Hence will always have free flow labor.