Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

How is life as a doctor in Singapore?

Old 28-06-2021, 10:11 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Another smoker. Many imposters man.
If you in a niche speciality, why do you worry about consultant post. They are niche for a reason, eg ent, eye.
Above average u say? Hello, these kind of niche speciality one year take 3 to 5 trainees. How do u even guage you are above average?
Lastly, unless u are chief resident, u don't get to read cv. Even if u are chirf resident it's only for 1 year, so not sure how u read hundreds of applications over the years.
Publication over awards..hahaha.
If u have really really read medical cv before, u will know awards are rare
Please re-read the posts above. We are clearly two different individuals, and I never said I was above average.

Old 28-06-2021, 11:49 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Please re-read the posts above. We are clearly two different individuals, and I never said I was above average.
You are Senior Consultant correct?

Old 28-06-2021, 07:52 PM
Unregistered

Smile

Hi guys, I'm very sick and tired of the hospital system and wish to venture somewhere else. Medical or non medical related. I studied in the UK and came back about 2 years ago. I can't seem to find myself doing this for the rest of my life. I have tried to apply for a residency but unfortunately didn't get selected. Because of that I'm kind of depressed and wondering if I can do something else altogether. I know it will waste my 5 years of medical training and all but I believe this is for the best. I was thinking of Australia as an option to further my medical career but I can't bear to leave my family behind as well. I also want to settle down and be capable of feeding my family (especially after the wrong decision of spending half a million studying medicine) . Any senior advice will be very much appreciated. I'm quite stuck and not sure what I should do next. Should I locum? Where to locum? Open a GP clinic? But that needs a lot of capital too.

Old 28-06-2021, 10:48 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hi guys, I'm very sick and tired of the hospital system and wish to venture somewhere else. Medical or non medical related. I studied in the UK and came back about 2 years ago. I can't seem to find myself doing this for the rest of my life. I have tried to apply for a residency but unfortunately didn't get selected. Because of that I'm kind of depressed and wondering if I can do something else altogether. I know it will waste my 5 years of medical training and all but I believe this is for the best. I was thinking of Australia as an option to further my medical career but I can't bear to leave my family behind as well. I also want to settle down and be capable of feeding my family (especially after the wrong decision of spending half a million studying medicine) . Any senior advice will be very much appreciated. I'm quite stuck and not sure what I should do next. Should I locum? Where to locum? Open a GP clinic? But that needs a lot of capital too.
Go work at Polyclinic and have a lifelong job as a Family Physician. Would be the best option for you looking at what you wrote.
Old 28-06-2021, 11:12 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
You are Senior Consultant correct?
No, I am in my final year of residency.
Old 29-06-2021, 04:44 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
No, I am in my final year of residency.
So how does it work these days? You get the "trainee position" by getting "residency". But there is no guarantee or assurance of a consultant post at the home hospital and department that took you in?

So then how?

After finish residency is it already exited?

Singapore uses a strange system with undergrad medical school, but US style residency, but getting trainees to finish UK exams.

I think it is getting messy lah.

Old 29-06-2021, 05:11 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

To me you are just a burnt out soul. We have all been there and done that.

1. What residency are u gunning for. Pls don't tell me plastics or ent or eye and u are getting discouraged just after 2 years.

2. Why would Australia be any different? A lot specialities harder to get in there and infact is close to non Australia pr

3. Hospital work is a drag for junior esp if u need to travel, cos got to start early , rush so that consultant can go for tea break at 9am before their clinic. After calls, weekend round for a while u start to lose yourself.

4. Seek out non clinical work. Clinical IT, ministry work, health promotion board. Alternatively less siong ones like community hospital, blood bank mo, rad oncology mo, nuclear med mo etc. Polyclinic work other than being 8 to 5 is not easy hor.

5. Get Ur full reg , try their hand at locum to see if u like gp work.

6. Seek pastoral care if u feel burnt out.

7. Ever consider u might be really clinically depressed? If don't want to be diagnosed as such , pop some st john wort to help urself.
Old 30-06-2021, 12:59 PM
Unregistered

Was wondering does foreign workers take up a significant proportion of patients in private gp?
Noted that the government has just set up 6 new healthcare centres dedicated specifically to migraine workers. Was wondering if this could affect the profit margins of private gps in general?
Old 30-06-2021, 01:17 PM

SgTuition is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I think u are getting burned out from the system. Look at the bright side. After you get ur license, u can work in chain clinics or open your own GP clinic. Ur life is set for the next 30 years. Compare to corporate slaves, we need to work forever and see a boss.
Old 30-06-2021, 09:36 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Are you able to share why you are jaded with the system? Is it because of the long working hours? And 30 hours shift?

Do you know how long more will it takes for you to get your medical license?