Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

How is life as a doctor in Singapore?

Old 08-02-2020, 08:43 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Would like to ask current or ex fam med residents. Where do most of the fam med residents go after they graduate from the residency programme? Do they stay on in polyclinic/government hospitals like comm hosp/do sub spec like Geri or sports medicine/go private?
If they stay on in polyclinic or government institution, do they function like a Mo/junior Rp and what is the pay range like?

Just curious, coming from a junior (ho) who is interested in FM.
Usually fm residents continue to stay in polyclinic as they have an mmed.
So they have a comparative advantage over peers with mmed in polyclinic. The pay with mmed and progression is quite respectable and income is not too bad plus dont need to work nights and sun.

Gps are usually gdfms. They go rotate sufficient mopexes see the world locum a bit. Then leave for pte sector.

Old 09-02-2020, 08:53 PM
Unregistered

Hi guys, really considering family med now. Is it oversubscribed now and are fam med physicians likely to run out of job in the future? How does it compare to like radiology or anesthesia? Thanks !

Old 10-02-2020, 03:22 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hi guys, really considering family med now. Is it oversubscribed now and are fam med physicians likely to run out of job in the future? How does it compare to like radiology or anesthesia? Thanks !
I'd like to second this question, is anyone here in the family medicine residency and can shed some light on what the subscription situation is like? Is it severely oversubscribed?

I am a British UK graduate wanting to train in Family Medicine in Singapore. I have been offered a job as an MO to start in a couple of months. Does anyone know if foreign nationals are accepted into the Family Medicine Residency programme year-on-year? Do you only get accepted if you have full registration with SMC?

Also is the residency programme the only way to be able to work as a GP in Singapore or are there other training methods available?

Finally, if I were to complete GP Training in UK and move to Singapore afterwards, would that be a more viable option? Could I go straight into working as a GP there or would I have to go back to working at MO level in order to get full registration?

Sorry for the multitude of questions but I appreciate any answers! Thanks

Old 10-02-2020, 11:57 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Given that they are planning to build more polyclinics, think fm should be fine for the next 3-5 years. But eventually all speciality will be over subscribed given that we have so many doctors nowadays (3 local med school plus IMG..)
Old 11-02-2020, 04:02 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Given that they are planning to build more polyclinics, think fm should be fine for the next 3-5 years. But eventually all speciality will be over subscribed given that we have so many doctors nowadays (3 local med school plus IMG..)
Singapore is still trying hard to grow the population. I think the short term target is 7 million which is an increase of 50%? And then eventually 10 million which is double the current.

So there will be a growth in demand for sure.

Singapore is going to get even more crowded. More like China level crowded for a city.

Good luck!
Old 11-02-2020, 03:59 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Singapore is still trying hard to grow the population. I think the short term target is 7 million which is an increase of 50%? And then eventually 10 million which is double the current.

So there will be a growth in demand for sure.

Singapore is going to get even more crowded. More like China level crowded for a city.

Good luck!
We now got 5.7million.
7 million is an 1.3million or 22% increase

Where got 50% unless u expect a wipe out of 1million pop, bringing back to 4.7 million.
Then increase will be 50%

Old 12-02-2020, 12:17 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
We now got 5.7million.
7 million is an 1.3million or 22% increase

Where got 50% unless u expect a wipe out of 1million pop, bringing back to 4.7 million.
Then increase will be 50%
ok lah. my bad. not a 50% increase. "only" 22% increase.

another 1.3million in that tiny red dot is still going to be A LOT OF PEOPLE! Seriously!

good luck!
Old 15-02-2020, 09:49 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I'd like to second this question, is anyone here in the family medicine residency and can shed some light on what the subscription situation is like? Is it severely oversubscribed?

I am a British UK graduate wanting to train in Family Medicine in Singapore. I have been offered a job as an MO to start in a couple of months. Does anyone know if foreign nationals are accepted into the Family Medicine Residency programme year-on-year? Do you only get accepted if you have full registration with SMC?

Also is the residency programme the only way to be able to work as a GP in Singapore or are there other training methods available?

Finally, if I were to complete GP Training in UK and move to Singapore afterwards, would that be a more viable option? Could I go straight into working as a GP there or would I have to go back to working at MO level in order to get full registration?

Sorry for the multitude of questions but I appreciate any answers! Thanks
Not sure about FM, but lots of residencies need citizenship or at least PR to get into noawadays.

As of now to be a GP:
finish medical school -> HO/F1 -> MO/SHO level until you get full registration (no training programme, essentially trying to aim for F2 jobs that will make you a better GP) -> leave to become GP. You can do a graduate diploma (GDFM) as well
or
finish medical school -> HO -> MO -> FM residency

From what I heard the first route might change in time but not too sure

Not sure about UK post CCT GP to singapore GP, I think it should be possible but will have to work in public polyclinics till you get full registration. If you google "family medicine singapore mrcgp", I believe MRCGP can get you admission as a member of the college of family medicine physicians.

From what I know, you have you have to be a Singaporean citizen to be a private GP (along with full registration).

Not sure why you want to come to singapore, are you of Asian descent or have family here? While UK GPs are already struggling with their 10 min slots, GPs in the public polyclinics can see 50 patients a morning. GP is quite popular now that residency for other specialties have over recruited, so there could be more difficulty getting a private clinic job in the future.
There is no EWTD to protect you here either as a MO, you will be slogging it out hard with 30h on-calls, and also have to learn the local languages for history taking. Without citizenship it might also be hard to get full registration.

UK GP is a pretty good job if you locum, even salaried GP is not too bad. Alternatively, finish UK GP and go to Australia, NZ or Canada, those are probably better gigs than Singapore.

I advise you to read all 100 pages of this thread, you will get a better insight into Singapore's working life, although there is a fair bit of spam and idiots replying.
Old 15-02-2020, 10:55 PM
Unregistered

Does anyone know about the job prospects for telemedicine?
Old 15-02-2020, 11:01 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Does anyone know about the job prospects for telemedicine?
One month ago it was bad.
But now it Looks good with the pandemic.

I believe face to face consultation will still be the main form of delivery.
But e consult for minor ailment is likely and will gain market share