Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   How is life as a doctor in Singapore? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/793-how-life-doctor-singapore.html)

Unregistered 18-09-2019 11:29 AM

May I know if doctors get pensions after they retire here in Singapore? Are they considered civil servants and how much in general do they get from their pensions? Will retirement benefits of being a civil servant be sufficient in deterring people from entering the private sector?

Unregistered 18-09-2019 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 123484)
May I know if doctors get pensions after they retire here in Singapore? Are they considered civil servants and how much in general do they get from their pensions? Will retirement benefits of being a civil servant be sufficient in deterring people from entering the private sector?

A pension scheme is not sustainable. Worldwide hard to find a single pension fund is able to keep up with their liabilities. Pension scheme is good for the old but disastrous for the young who have to pay for it.

As such progressively Singapore has removed all pension scheme since 1980s.

Instead of pension, we have a cpf scheme. All permanent resident and citizens will contribute 20% of their salary. While the employer will contribute another 17%. Exact percentage varies according to age.

CPF scheme is only sufficient if you are disciplined and do not use it for housing.

Unregistered 18-09-2019 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 123484)

In Singapore there are no practising doctor who are civil servant, and there is no government hospital. Except for the medical centres run by the Singapore armed forces, all medical centres, clinics, and hospitals are legally private.

There is only restructured hospitals. All of them are legally a private company

As such there are no civil servants. All are privately employed.

Unregistered 18-09-2019 03:39 PM

Thank you so much for all the replies.

Unregistered 13-10-2019 02:54 PM

With the new grab corporate system, say if we are a HO or MO coming in to work on a Saturday or Sunday for routine work, will we be able to use the grab for free to and from work? For reasons can we put 'ward round' 'ward work' or something. Thanks

Unregistered 13-10-2019 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 124069)
With the new grab corporate system, say if we are a HO or MO coming in to work on a Saturday or Sunday for routine work, will we be able to use the grab for free to and from work? For reasons can we put 'ward round' 'ward work' or something. Thanks

Yes

Sat and sun you can claim.

Unregistered 18-10-2019 05:44 PM

Can i ask for residency application, if we apply for different programmes (eg FM and IM) and if we apply different SI for each programme, will the respective programme directors know how we ranked them?

Unregistered 18-10-2019 05:55 PM

Can i ask existing gps, how much overlap is there betweem IM and FM/gp?
I am a current IM resident, but am quite jaded of hospital life. Am thinking of being a gp after my junior residency ends (i.e end of 3rd year, for which i prob wont apply for SR). Was wondering if the skills that i picked up during my IM training will be relevant or will it be completely different? (My only non IM posting was ed posting, which was part of the IM residency)

Unregistered 18-10-2019 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 124241)
Can i ask existing gps, how much overlap is there betweem IM and FM/gp?
I am a current IM resident, but am quite jaded of hospital life. Am thinking of being a gp after my junior residency ends (i.e end of 3rd year, for which i prob wont apply for SR). Was wondering if the skills that i picked up during my IM training will be relevant or will it be completely different? (My only non IM posting was ed posting, which was part of the IM residency)

Definitely what u learn in Internal Medicine will be useful in Family Medicine especially when u see more complex cases that requires more thinking. ED posting also very useful.

GP life offers better work life balance especially good for female doctors who wants time with her own young children.

Unregistered 18-10-2019 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 124240)
Can i ask for residency application, if we apply for different programmes (eg FM and IM) and if we apply different SI for each programme, will the respective programme directors know how we ranked them?

Of course they know