Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   How is life as a doctor in Singapore? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/793-how-life-doctor-singapore.html)

Peds 12-01-2012 11:31 AM

Peds

Hello. I am finishing my residency in Peds in the US and am exploring my options including coming to Singapore. Does anybody know how board certified pediatrician is looked upon in terms of job opportunities. Is it fairly equivalent to MRCP from the UK? How are the job prospects?

Unregistered 06-02-2012 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 19542)
Most people want to go AU NZ to practise and you wanna come here? What's the reason?

Have you read this:
Doctors’ pay | Salary.sg - Your Salary in Singapore

The reason for relocation is mainly lifestyle. I am of Asian descent and wishes to move back to Asia to live for couple of years. Whats the reason for Singaporean doctors to move to NZ and AU? Is it the renumeration or change in lifestyle?

elephantrosie 26-02-2012 06:43 AM

I am very keen to work in singapore. I am currently a FY2 (equivalent to a MO in singapore) in the UK. i am also aware of the long working hours, racial tension, so on and so forth. For some reasons, I am ready to be subjected to all these.

How do I apply to work in singapore?
How long does the application process take?

Thanks.

Unregistered 26-02-2012 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elephantrosie (Post 21370)
I am very keen to work in singapore. I am currently a FY2 (equivalent to a MO in singapore) in the UK. i am also aware of the long working hours, racial tension, so on and so forth. For some reasons, I am ready to be subjected to all these.

How do I apply to work in singapore?
How long does the application process take?

Thanks.

You have a higher chance if you are a true Brit if you know what I mean. If not, your chance is still higher than most others.

Is UK _that_ bad? Or did our government do a great job in selling Singapore as a job destination?

elephantrosie 26-02-2012 06:34 PM

could someone please guide me on the application process and how long would it take?

many thanks.

Unregistered 28-02-2012 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elephantrosie (Post 21388)
could someone please guide me on the application process and how long would it take?

many thanks.

Physicians | Career With MOHH | Registrable Basic Medical Degrees

u can find the req info here.

rad 02-03-2012 12:41 AM

rad consultant

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rad (Post 19537)
Hi everyone

I am about to finish radiology training in New Zealand(FRANZCR). I have been looking to move to Singapore to work as a consultant. But after reading some of the comments here, it doesn't sound very enticing anymore.

No full registration to foreign grad? That doesn't sound very nice.

Can anyone give me some input on life and earning of radiologists in Singapore?

FRANZCR is recognised in singapore so you can approach any hospital for a consultant job. On top of the regular salary, foreigners get housing allowance of up to $1200. Your total pay package would be slightly less than 20k as you just finished. Might sound little but the tax rate is extremely low. This is excluding the year end bonus of up to 3 months.

At the moment for radiology, NUH has the highest salary of all hospital but it is a tertiary centre so cases are more complex and workload is high. NUH is also a training center for RANZCR. The other tertiary centre is SGH. Other newer peripheral hospitals (singapore is small so it would be maybe 40mins from city) pay less but workload is less.

Radiology work in singapore is not as bad compared to the wards. Monday to friday working hours 0830 to 1800hrs. one in 8 weeks stay home call for consultants. If you do research or admin, you may only work 4 days a week.

You can get full rego only after 4 years in the public hospital. In the meantime you can work as consultant in any public hospital but not privately for 4 years.

Junior 02-03-2012 12:53 AM

Jobs in singapore

Consultant jobs in singapore are not stressful. The pay isnt great (around 20k per month) but tax rate is low so it evens out. If you are a consultant keen on coming for a few years, i would highly recommend it. In addition, there are plenty of seemingly unlimited funds for research so if thats up your alley, its a great place to build projects and ideas. But if research is not your cup of tea, it may limit your career progression unless you take up either admin or teaching track.

For more junior doctors, i wont recommend them coming over as long hours awaits you! The workload in the wards are high and salary is low. The local grads are bonded for 5 years so there are no incentive to pay you more. Foreigners do get up to 1000 in housing allowance but the rental market is expensive now. Expect to pay 4000 for a small two room apartment.

A typical PGY4 MO pay is around 5-6k.

In terms of racial issues, its fairly negligible compared to other countries. Singapore is multiracial and cultural so there isnt much of an issue unless you have problems integrating with civil society.

Unregistered 10-03-2012 02:47 AM

Pathology

Can anyone suggest how is the scenario for (junior) Pathologist there?
How useful to do residency at Singapore?
Thanx

Surgksa 10-03-2012 07:09 AM

Work conditions for Emergency resident

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 19105)
What is your qualification first before we can comment.
Primary qualification, post grad, years of ecxperience etc cos Singapore not consider experience from developing countries nd not all post grad qualifications are recognised in Singapore. go n visit singapor medical council webpage and see registrable post grad qualification list first.

Hi please comment I am interested to work in emergency department as resident, I am graduated from china so well known mandarin language.
What Would you advise?