How is life as a doctor in Singapore? - Page 57 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




How is life as a doctor in Singapore?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #561 (permalink)  
Old 13-04-2019, 02:37 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The government/moh has been saying that they want/need more family physicians, but yet many people on this forum have been saying that the gp market is very saturated. So just wondering what is the true situation?
I think they want well trained family physicians that can handle complex cases and reduce referrals to acute Hosps. They want well trained family physicians that can handle chronics well, that can reduce complications rate. They want family physicians to do more.

Hence Chas has been expanded to cover all Singaporeans. Although the chas amount may not be a lot. But there is rental pressure, there is cost of EMR, cost of drugs, cost of consumables, cost of compliance and records keeping to prepare for MOH audit, cost of accounting, cost of continuing medical education. In this day and age, you have to be very altruistic to provide good care. Need to work really long hours, to keep consult sufficiently long for each patient, and price reasonably.

Reply With Quote
  #562 (permalink)  
Old 13-04-2019, 06:09 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I think they want well trained family physicians that can handle complex cases and reduce referrals to acute Hosps. They want well trained family physicians that can handle chronics well, that can reduce complications rate. They want family physicians to do more.

Hence Chas has been expanded to cover all Singaporeans. Although the chas amount may not be a lot. But there is rental pressure, there is cost of EMR, cost of drugs, cost of consumables, cost of compliance and records keeping to prepare for MOH audit, cost of accounting, cost of continuing medical education. In this day and age, you have to be very altruistic to provide good care. Need to work really long hours, to keep consult sufficiently long for each patient, and price reasonably.

Does that mean that most family physicians out in the private/polyclinic setting are not well trained And can't handle chronic condition? (I.e they refer at the earliest possible opportunity?)

Reply With Quote
  #563 (permalink)  
Old 13-04-2019, 06:41 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Hi, I am a UK grad, pgy 3 interested in internal medicine. I have completed my mrcp part 1/2 and in the process of doing paces.
Just wondering given the job situation/prospect in Singapore (with emphasis on family medicine and step down care) should I still pursue IM residency?
And just wondering if I pursue a specialist in gm, how easy is it for me to convert to a gp if I am unable to get a AC job in 5-6 years time?

Reply With Quote
  #564 (permalink)  
Old 19-04-2019, 09:10 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Hi, I have a question for all current residents/trainees. When we prepare for postgraduate examinations (eg MRCP paces/MRCS part B- i.e the osce exam), are there trainees who take their examination outside Singapore/UK?
I just wonder if for eg we take our paces in like India/KL, and pass, will our qualification be deemed of a lower value as compared to those who passed the same exam in UK/singapore?
Reply With Quote
  #565 (permalink)  
Old 20-04-2019, 12:13 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi, I have a question for all current residents/trainees. When we prepare for postgraduate examinations (eg MRCP paces/MRCS part B- i.e the osce exam), are there trainees who take their examination outside Singapore/UK?
I just wonder if for eg we take our paces in like India/KL, and pass, will our qualification be deemed of a lower value as compared to those who passed the same exam in UK/singapore?
No diff. Mrcp is mrcp. Singapore or India or UK , paces standards are deemed to be equivalent
Reply With Quote
  #566 (permalink)  
Old 20-04-2019, 01:00 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

s://.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/moh-cuts-overseas-medical-schools-approved-for-practise-in-11459004

"That is because you have fallen prey to the story sold by MOHH and MOH. The story is that there has been (and continues to be) a shortage of doctors relative to the absolute population and specific sub-population (in our case, the ageing population). In other words, when the other 2 (LKC and Duke NUS) medical schools were opened, the narrative was that more doctors needed to be churned out to meet this need.

That story is not untrue. However, the bigger and more unsettling problem is that of structural unemployment. During the time when the 2 new medical schools were training their student-doctors, MOH and MOHH brought in a bevy of foreign trained consultant doctors (UK, India, Philippines etc). Unfortunately, this move coincided with the implementation of the Residency System which has been widely recognized locally as a monumental failure.

The situation today is as such: We have too few vacant Consultancy positions and way too many junior Residents. Doctors who are in their 4th or 5th year of Residency who should be looking forward to a Consultancy when they "exit" their training programmes are instead offered peace-keeping titles such as "Senior Service Registrar" or "Resident Physician". These are dead-end positions. Most, if not all will never make it to Consultancy, until the position is vacant, and no other junior Residents (R4/R5) are groomed for it.

So, what do Junior Doctors do in this messy situation? They leave to the Private Sector. Most will locum or be GPs. Some will do diplomas in aesthetic medicine and become aesthetic physicians. Some will become medical officers in the private hospitals. Some will train overseas (yes, train. Because the local Residency is not recognised anywhere else, not even in the United States which inspired it's development). Some will do something else (e.g. Public Health, Medical Ethics, Medical Law).

All of this exacerbates the "shortage" perceived by Singaporeans in the A&Es (long waiting times), Specialist Outpatient Clinics (long waiting times...), and woefully misleading or incomplete articles such as the ones you linked above."
Reply With Quote

  #567 (permalink)  
Old 20-04-2019, 03:29 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
s://.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/moh-cuts-overseas-medical-schools-approved-for-practise-in-11459004

"That is because you have fallen prey to the story sold by MOHH and MOH. The story is that there has been (and continues to be) a shortage of doctors relative to the absolute population and specific sub-population (in our case, the ageing population). In other words, when the other 2 (LKC and Duke NUS) medical schools were opened, the narrative was that more doctors needed to be churned out to meet this need.

That story is not untrue. However, the bigger and more unsettling problem is that of structural unemployment. During the time when the 2 new medical schools were training their student-doctors, MOH and MOHH brought in a bevy of foreign trained consultant doctors (UK, India, Philippines etc). Unfortunately, this move coincided with the implementation of the Residency System which has been widely recognized locally as a monumental failure.

The situation today is as such: We have too few vacant Consultancy positions and way too many junior Residents. Doctors who are in their 4th or 5th year of Residency who should be looking forward to a Consultancy when they "exit" their training programmes are instead offered peace-keeping titles such as "Senior Service Registrar" or "Resident Physician". These are dead-end positions. Most, if not all will never make it to Consultancy, until the position is vacant, and no other junior Residents (R4/R5) are groomed for it.

So, what do Junior Doctors do in this messy situation? They leave to the Private Sector. Most will locum or be GPs. Some will do diplomas in aesthetic medicine and become aesthetic physicians. Some will become medical officers in the private hospitals. Some will train overseas (yes, train. Because the local Residency is not recognised anywhere else, not even in the United States which inspired it's development). Some will do something else (e.g. Public Health, Medical Ethics, Medical Law).

All of this exacerbates the "shortage" perceived by Singaporeans in the A&Es (long waiting times), Specialist Outpatient Clinics (long waiting times...), and woefully misleading or incomplete articles such as the ones you linked above."
You said that the residency is widely regarded as a monumental failure. Can elaborate further on that? Is it just because there are insufficient AC jobs?


SG BusLeh mobile app
SG BusLeh - the best bus app - available on iPhone and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #568 (permalink)  
Old 20-04-2019, 12:22 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Don't we need more consultants to aid our aging population? And shouldn't they look to increase the number of consultant positions? Is it purely for financial reason MOH and mohh are not willing to increase the number of consultant job vacancy? Economy is bad now. This doesn't seem to be the issue in the UK.
Reply With Quote
  #569 (permalink)  
Old 20-04-2019, 01:08 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

s://medicfootprints.org/singapore/medical-salaries-employment-singapore/

Is this article bs ? Geriatricians earning upwards of 25000 and the working hours directive in sg. Can't work more than 44 hours a week and overtime can be more than 14 hours.
Reply With Quote
  #570 (permalink)  
Old 20-04-2019, 02:02 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Sorry to be really off topic but just out of curiosity how does one become a professor in singapore after attaining a medical degree?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What happened to Life Sciences? Salary.sg Education and Personal Growth 50 22-05-2013 12:58 PM
What work-life balance? Salary.sg Income and Jobs 2 02-06-2008 11:48 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,518 Replies, 636,984 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
8,172 Replies, 4,551,373 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,184 Replies, 794,758 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,328 Replies, 1,538,607 Views
Credit Suisse - Compliance... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
108 Replies, 53,855 Views
Shell TDP ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
103 Replies, 31,340 Views
2019 Fresh Grad starting pay
6 Replies, 417 Views
Mid-Year Civil Servant Bonus 2019 ( 1 2)
16 Replies, 2,368 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,681 Replies, 3,372,211 Views
DBS Management Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,044 Replies, 140,783 Views
Working in HDB ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
291 Replies, 209,944 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
607 Replies, 653,554 Views
GovTech career grade ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
71 Replies, 69,414 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,398 Replies, 1,446,997 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,653 Replies, 1,106,129 Views
How to get into Banking industry? ( 1 2)
18 Replies, 1,455 Views
Exxon Mobil Equipment tech or... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,526 Replies, 392,797 Views
Salaries of Professors in SG ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
130 Replies, 198,935 Views
AML/Compliance/KYC professionals... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,328 Replies, 466,316 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,379 Replies, 1,113,969 Views
All about Home Affairs Senior... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
160 Replies, 146,550 Views
OCBC Graduate Talent Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
81 Replies, 16,423 Views
share your instant death at... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
32 Replies, 13,051 Views
How much savings do you have? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,242 Replies, 473,885 Views
Officer Role in Bank of Tokyo -... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
167 Replies, 128,692 Views
shipping from China to Singapore
0 Replies, 72 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
799 Replies, 593,096 Views
Enterprise Singapore hiriing... ( 1 2 3)
20 Replies, 6,699 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 08:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2