How is life as a doctor in Singapore? - Page 552 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




How is life as a doctor in Singapore?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #5511 (permalink)  
Old 25-05-2023, 03:49 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Agreed. No need to stress too much. At the end of the day, itís just a job to pay the bills. Thatís why I chose to train in psych



Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #5512 (permalink)  
Old 25-05-2023, 05:08 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Locum jobs

Locum is not so bad. Especially some GP have decent amount of locum and regular slots to do. So the pay is decent enough I feel.
Like onecare, they got quite a number of locum slots for people to take up also.

Reply With Quote
  #5513 (permalink)  
Old 26-05-2023, 07:45 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Really regretted signing bond and studying Med at LKC. Any ways to break bond without paying back? Other than absconding from the country

Reply With Quote
  #5514 (permalink)  
Old 26-05-2023, 10:55 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Really regretted signing bond and studying Med at LKC. Any ways to break bond without paying back? Other than absconding from the country
Just pay the bond.

You wont regret it.
Reply With Quote
  #5515 (permalink)  
Old 26-05-2023, 05:51 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

One good thing about being in the larger GP chains compared to locum is the medical benefits and 60 days of paid hospitalisation leave. That really compensates for the lower pay compared to locuming. Now that I need to use it , I really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote
  #5516 (permalink)  
Old 27-05-2023, 12:00 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
One good thing about being in the larger GP chains compared to locum is the medical benefits and 60 days of paid hospitalisation leave. That really compensates for the lower pay compared to locuming. Now that I need to use it , I really appreciate it.
Boatloads of Indians/Malaysians are going to the UK for their GP training

MRCGP is recognised in Singapore even though their basic medical degree is not recognised.

They will be snatching your jobs very soon in the future
Reply With Quote

  #5517 (permalink)  
Old 27-05-2023, 05:00 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Starting HO in OctoberÖ interested in renal medicine

Is renal medicine residency competitive in Singapore?
Reply With Quote
  #5518 (permalink)  
Old 27-05-2023, 05:32 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Starting HO in OctoberÖ interested in renal medicine

Is renal medicine residency competitive in Singapore?
No. Probably the least competitive subspec after advanced internal medicine.
Reply With Quote
  #5519 (permalink)  
Old 28-05-2023, 08:07 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Not worth it

Opportunity cost analysis of residency training:

Assuming a male MO with 3 years of bond left (2 years bond served in NS).

Total earnings (If he leaves to be a locum GP after 3 years):

Y3: $70000 a year (MOPEX MO)

Y4: $73000 a year (MOPEX MO)

Y5: $75000 a year (MOPEX MO)

Y6 (Left after bond): $20000/month (locum GP)

Y7 : $20000/month (locum GP)

Y8 : $20000/month (locum GP)

Y9: $20000/month (locum GP)

Cumulative total earnings of $1,178,000 without stress of residency exams and training

Compared to an internal medicine resident for example:

Y3-Y9: internal medicine residency followed by advanced IM/Geri/Renal

Average salary of $8500/month for 7 years.

Cumulative total earnings of around $714,000..

Even after exit as AC, still have to slog in hospital for years to gain experience. Cannot immediately open private clinic after exit as AC..

Meanwhile your Locum GP friend probably already opened his clinic/partnership
Reply With Quote
  #5520 (permalink)  
Old 28-05-2023, 10:32 AM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2022
Posts: 15
Happywife is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Opportunity cost analysis of residency training:

Assuming a male MO with 3 years of bond left (2 years bond served in NS).

Total earnings (If he leaves to be a locum GP after 3 years):

Y3: $70000 a year (MOPEX MO)

Y4: $73000 a year (MOPEX MO)

Y5: $75000 a year (MOPEX MO)

Y6 (Left after bond): $20000/month (locum GP)

Y7 : $20000/month (locum GP)

Y8 : $20000/month (locum GP)

Y9: $20000/month (locum GP)

Cumulative total earnings of $1,178,000 without stress of residency exams and training

Compared to an internal medicine resident for example:

Y3-Y9: internal medicine residency followed by advanced IM/Geri/Renal

Average salary of $8500/month for 7 years.

Cumulative total earnings of around $714,000..

Even after exit as AC, still have to slog in hospital for years to gain experience. Cannot immediately open private clinic after exit as AC..

Meanwhile your Locum GP friend probably already opened his clinic/partnership

Lol! Lol! Lol!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What work-life balance? Salary.sg Income and Jobs 3 04-08-2022 11:49 PM
What happened to Life Sciences? Salary.sg Education and Personal Growth 50 22-05-2013 12:58 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,690 Replies, 4,215,452 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,203 Replies, 2,903,617 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
917 Replies, 418,863 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
15,876 Replies, 11,577,697 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
20,254 Replies, 9,328,662 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,223 Replies, 1,693,422 Views
GIC (Government of Singapore... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
374 Replies, 650,238 Views
Compilation of MAs/Analysts Gross... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,239 Replies, 629,297 Views
NTU (non-faculty) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
143 Replies, 191,313 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,453 Replies, 1,308,128 Views
LTA (Land Transport Authority) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
480 Replies, 275,138 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,464 Replies, 1,098,548 Views
Work culture in IHiS ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
619 Replies, 434,130 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,593 Replies, 875,458 Views
HTX (Home Team Science and... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
413 Replies, 197,646 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,707 Replies, 3,352,173 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
9,394 Replies, 5,684,550 Views
NUS (National University of... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
293 Replies, 266,434 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,579 Replies, 1,937,707 Views
What are BAND 5 positions -... ( 1 2 3)
23 Replies, 6,917 Views
HDB (under MND) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
516 Replies, 550,889 Views
CAD (Commercial Affairs Department) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
228 Replies, 228,525 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,510 Replies, 4,188,090 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,855 Replies, 4,175,431 Views
Constituency Manager (People... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
963 Replies, 752,927 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,878 Replies, 2,713,905 Views
ITE Polytechnic Scheme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
274 Replies, 309,331 Views
NCS (SingTel subsidiary) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,279 Replies, 991,131 Views
Band 4 and Band 5 in Standard... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
65 Replies, 148,962 Views
OKX SuperNova Graduate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
79 Replies, 52,495 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 11:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2