How is life as a doctor in Singapore? - Page 53 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




How is life as a doctor in Singapore?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #521 (permalink)  
Old 07-03-2019, 05:08 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Those are <5% of doctors, old ones from the old days when specialty training spots were widely available and the road to being consultant was the fast track. Most now slog it out in the polyclinic/hospital - you just don't realise it.

If cars were a comparison, think public transport or cheap japanese cars.
Agreed, how many in a batch of current graduates will achieve that now honestly, back then it was easier to make it big, although they worked even worse hours than now. Now I think graduates will fill up the RP posts done by foreigners, work in the many new upcoming polyclinics or flood the private GP market

Reply With Quote
  #522 (permalink)  
Old 07-03-2019, 06:36 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Just wondering if there are any doctors who have actually got into residency programme, but subsequently decided to quit before their training is completed?
And if there any penalties for these doctors?

Reply With Quote
  #523 (permalink)  
Old 07-03-2019, 10:33 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Just wondering if there are any doctors who have actually got into residency programme, but subsequently decided to quit before their training is completed?
And if there any penalties for these doctors?
Think it says somewhere on the residency websites you cant apply for another programme for 1 year.

Reply With Quote
  #524 (permalink)  
Old 07-03-2019, 11:19 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Anyone here feels that it is increasingly easy to get sued nowadays being a doctor?
Reply With Quote
  #525 (permalink)  
Old 10-03-2019, 07:05 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Hi, would like to seek some advice here (may sound like a silly question)
I am currently a PGY4 (Singaporean who graduated from UK in 2015, but returned to Singapore in 2016 as MO). have done mainly medical postings (in different subspecialities) since I returned to Singapore across all 3 clusters. I am interested in IM/fam Med (as in I am happy to do either), also currently doing GDFM and working on my PACES (MRCP- passed part 1/2)

I failed with my residency application in 2017 (IM) and 2018 (last year- FM). I would like to ask
- are older applicants at a disadvantage when it comes to residency. (from what I see, IM/FM residents across all 3 clusters tend to be PGY 1-3)

- Would it be better for me to stick to 1 cluster for my future mopex postings? (I was thinking of moving around all 3 clusters for mopex so that I can apply to all 3 clusters for residency (and also hopefully apply for SR or AC jobs in all 3 clusters in the future- in the context of IM residency), but now on hindsight not sure it would be better to stay in 1 cluster all the way?

- What is the future of doctors who dont get into residency? (i.e how is the market demand for GPs, RPs in polyclinics or restructured instituitions/hospitals)

I will probably try again this year and maybe next year (since my MOHH bond finish in 2021), before concluding that perhaps no one wants me and GP is my only option.

Hoping for some genuine advice.

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #526 (permalink)  
Old 11-03-2019, 12:27 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi, would like to seek some advice here (may sound like a silly question)
I am currently a PGY4 (Singaporean who graduated from UK in 2015, but returned to Singapore in 2016 as MO). have done mainly medical postings (in different subspecialities) since I returned to Singapore across all 3 clusters. I am interested in IM/fam Med (as in I am happy to do either), also currently doing GDFM and working on my PACES (MRCP- passed part 1/2)

I failed with my residency application in 2017 (IM) and 2018 (last year- FM). I would like to ask
- are older applicants at a disadvantage when it comes to residency. (from what I see, IM/FM residents across all 3 clusters tend to be PGY 1-3)

- Would it be better for me to stick to 1 cluster for my future mopex postings? (I was thinking of moving around all 3 clusters for mopex so that I can apply to all 3 clusters for residency (and also hopefully apply for SR or AC jobs in all 3 clusters in the future- in the context of IM residency), but now on hindsight not sure it would be better to stay in 1 cluster all the way?

- What is the future of doctors who dont get into residency? (i.e how is the market demand for GPs, RPs in polyclinics or restructured instituitions/hospitals)

I will probably try again this year and maybe next year (since my MOHH bond finish in 2021), before concluding that perhaps no one wants me and GP is my only option.

Hoping for some genuine advice.

Thanks
If you pass your paces I see no reason why they will reject you for IM residency.

What you doing is right. Now focus on rotating at one SI, make sure pd knows you. Get good reviews.
Reply With Quote

  #527 (permalink)  
Old 19-03-2019, 05:26 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Question Guest

Hi I'm currently a Year 3 med student studying in Australia. I'd like to come back to Singapore for my HO/MO for family reasons, despite the initial problems I may face readjusting to the faster pace of life etc. Not a big concern for me, as family is family, after all.

However I'm really concerned whether doing so would be shooting myself in the foot in the long run. I'd like to try out for a surgical specialty as I think I'm quite inclined towards procedural techniques, but I understand it may be very hard to secure a training spot in Sg.

Also I've heard horror stories of specialists exiting residency w/o an Associate Consultant position---aka they are stuck as over-qualified registrars in the local hospitals. Sounds quite shitty to me.

Could anyone kindly enlighten me on:
1) How competitive are surgical residencies in Sg? (How many slots available, or how may competing per slot)
2) Is the specialist market really so saturated that even specialists cannot secure AC jobs?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #528 (permalink)  
Old 19-03-2019, 08:48 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi I'm currently a Year 3 med student studying in Australia. I'd like to come back to Singapore for my HO/MO for family reasons, despite the initial problems I may face readjusting to the faster pace of life etc. Not a big concern for me, as family is family, after all.

However I'm really concerned whether doing so would be shooting myself in the foot in the long run. I'd like to try out for a surgical specialty as I think I'm quite inclined towards procedural techniques, but I understand it may be very hard to secure a training spot in Sg.

Also I've heard horror stories of specialists exiting residency w/o an Associate Consultant position---aka they are stuck as over-qualified registrars in the local hospitals. Sounds quite shitty to me.

Could anyone kindly enlighten me on:
1) How competitive are surgical residencies in Sg? (How many slots available, or how may competing per slot)
2) Is the specialist market really so saturated that even specialists cannot secure AC jobs?

Thanks!
What's the intern situation currently in your state? Might not even be possible to stay in Australia these days tbh unless you get the rural contract.

Surgery is very competitive but not sure of the numbers as its not that transparent. But definitely have to rotate few years as an MO and network a lot. If you can find the document last time they used to post who matched what specialty, that can give you an idea of how many spots are there. Once you get it, life of a surgeon will probably be worse than most 1st world systems (barring us probably). This is probably going to get worse with bigger med school intake. With the current glut of regs waiting to be ACs it is likely they are scaling down residency spots also.

I think if you come back you kinda have to either continuously swim uphill to achieve your dreams, or open your mind to things like gp.
Reply With Quote
  #529 (permalink)  
Old 19-03-2019, 06:58 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi I'm currently a Year 3 med student studying in Australia. I'd like to come back to Singapore for my HO/MO for family reasons, despite the initial problems I may face readjusting to the faster pace of life etc. Not a big concern for me, as family is family, after all.

However I'm really concerned whether doing so would be shooting myself in the foot in the long run. I'd like to try out for a surgical specialty as I think I'm quite inclined towards procedural techniques, but I understand it may be very hard to secure a training spot in Sg.

Also I've heard horror stories of specialists exiting residency w/o an Associate Consultant position---aka they are stuck as over-qualified registrars in the local hospitals. Sounds quite shitty to me.

Could anyone kindly enlighten me on:
1) How competitive are surgical residencies in Sg? (How many slots available, or how may competing per slot)
2) Is the specialist market really so saturated that even specialists cannot secure AC jobs?

Thanks!
i think we need to be realistic. the chances of you staying in Australia is very slim. As such you have no choice but to come back to Singapore.

While it is crazily competitive to get into surgical residencies in Singapore, you have no choice but to fight it out, as it is impossible to stay in Australia in this climate.
Reply With Quote
  #530 (permalink)  
Old 19-03-2019, 07:00 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
i think we need to be realistic. the chances of you staying in Australia is very slim. As such you have no choice but to come back to Singapore.

While it is crazily competitive to get into surgical residencies in Singapore, you have no choice but to fight it out, as it is impossible to stay in Australia in this climate.
Currently there is no AC jobs, and we need to waitlist for very long. But since you are coming back, this remains the only route you can take.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What happened to Life Sciences? Salary.sg Education and Personal Growth 50 22-05-2013 12:58 PM
What work-life balance? Salary.sg Income and Jobs 2 02-06-2008 11:48 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,245 Replies, 1,536,979 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,864 Replies, 4,487,085 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
763 Replies, 386,399 Views
Singtel Management Associate... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
283 Replies, 161,595 Views
Changi Airport Group ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
420 Replies, 406,423 Views
ITE Polytechnic Scheme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
131 Replies, 140,346 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
14,929 Replies, 5,065,325 Views
DSTA (under Mindef) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,072 Replies, 776,939 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,973 Replies, 7,670,185 Views
How much CPF do u have? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
42 Replies, 21,754 Views
Htx ( 1 2)
15 Replies, 2,101 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,001 Replies, 1,521,478 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
552 Replies, 322,750 Views
Citibank Singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
173 Replies, 115,579 Views
Citibank Technology Analyst Program ( 1 2)
13 Replies, 7,874 Views
Cybersecurity/Info security career ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
206 Replies, 52,095 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,184 Replies, 588,159 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
548 Replies, 310,184 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,172 Replies, 2,687,522 Views
CSA (Cyber Security Agency) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
293 Replies, 118,289 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,810 Replies, 2,167,058 Views
Ex-MOE Teachers ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
148 Replies, 197,347 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
669 Replies, 337,213 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,257 Replies, 318,402 Views
DBS Wealth Manager Fresh Grad...
3 Replies, 521 Views
NCS (SingTel subsidiary) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
603 Replies, 478,206 Views
NUS (National University of... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
145 Replies, 129,047 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,410 Replies, 645,681 Views
Year end bonus for civil service ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
346 Replies, 72,114 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 07:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2