How is life as a doctor in Singapore? - Page 51 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




How is life as a doctor in Singapore?

 Citibank Cash Back Card - up to $350 cash back* - Click to Apply Now 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #501 (permalink)  
Old 20-02-2019, 01:31 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Do you become a fam med consultant once you exit from the residency?
short answer is no.
The exiting day of fam med residency will typically be on June 30th.
after exit, you will sit for mmed exams in the same year october.
after passing mmed, you will need 1 year to convert to mcfps
then spend another 2 years for the fellowship program (fcfps)
to be fm con, you need the fcfps.

Reply With Quote
  #502 (permalink)  
Old 20-02-2019, 06:33 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
short answer is no.
The exiting day of fam med residency will typically be on June 30th.
after exit, you will sit for mmed exams in the same year october.
after passing mmed, you will need 1 year to convert to mcfps
then spend another 2 years for the fellowship program (fcfps)
to be fm con, you need the fcfps.
Does a fm con work as a GP or does he or she have more roles and responsibility in the hospital ? I don't expect it to be a high paying job but work balance wise will the pay be a good enough compensation for the time and effort you put in?

Reply With Quote
  #503 (permalink)  
Old 20-02-2019, 11:12 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
short answer is no.
The exiting day of fam med residency will typically be on June 30th.
after exit, you will sit for mmed exams in the same year october.
after passing mmed, you will need 1 year to convert to mcfps
then spend another 2 years for the fellowship program (fcfps)
to be fm con, you need the fcfps.
Is fm residency competitive in Singapore?

Reply With Quote
  #504 (permalink)  
Old 21-02-2019, 05:08 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I am currently a medical student (final year) in UK. Planning to return to sg to work as I am peg holder. I am interested in medicine in the long run. I was wondering how difficult is it to get IM residency and what is the job prospects for IM residents? (Noted that AC jobs are tough to get, what happens if an IM resident don't get an AC job or even Sr job at the end of their training? Do they go back to mopex??)

I don't have special interest in any of the subspec, so will be happy to do the less popular subspec (eg gen med) where there are higher chance of getting jobs. I thought of mopex for a few years to find what subspec I like but worried that this will affect my career progression if I enter residency late. (Will already be 27 years old when I return..)

Any advice?
Reply With Quote
  #505 (permalink)  
Old 21-02-2019, 06:08 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Is fm residency competitive in Singapore?
4 to 5applicants for each position.
Historically was easy to get in. The past two to three years became very difficult.
Reply With Quote
  #506 (permalink)  
Old 21-02-2019, 06:20 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I am currently a medical student (final year) in UK. Planning to return to sg to work as I am peg holder. I am interested in medicine in the long run. I was wondering how difficult is it to get IM residency and what is the job prospects for IM residents? (Noted that AC jobs are tough to get, what happens if an IM resident don't get an AC job or even Sr job at the end of their training? Do they go back to mopex??)

I don't have special interest in any of the subspec, so will be happy to do the less popular subspec (eg gen med) where there are higher chance of getting jobs. I thought of mopex for a few years to find what subspec I like but worried that this will affect my career progression if I enter residency late. (Will already be 27 years old when I return..)

Any advice?
Moderate difficulty 2 applicants for each position. Yes official stand is mohh can only pay you for one year as a service registrar post exit. After that year, you have to go back to mopex. In reality, Hosp will employ you as a senior rp or staff physician, and you wait till an AC post opens.

As long as they don't take in too many residents. There will be ac jobs in the long run.

Some times candidates are both victims and beneficiaries of the system. A broad quota makes entry easier, but makes finding jobs later harder. The very same loose quota that enables them to join residency fresh from med school without significant experience and portfolio is going to be the same quota that cause them unable to get a job immediately due to oversupply and excess capacity.
Reply With Quote

  #507 (permalink)  
Old 21-02-2019, 06:50 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Is fm residency competitive in Singapore?
GP here. Wow so many MOs wanting to join the already saturated GP market. No one wants to be specialists?
Reply With Quote
  #508 (permalink)  
Old 21-02-2019, 07:24 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
GP here. Wow so many MOs wanting to join the already saturated GP market. No one wants to be specialists?
So both the specialist and gp markets are saturated. Seem that the days when being a doctor is an iron rice bowl are long gone...
Reply With Quote
  #509 (permalink)  
Old 21-02-2019, 11:21 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I think most have no qualms about staying an MO in the hospital
Just that income is pitiable for hours worked - one can only dream of an hourly wage in sing

Hence the option of locum & private work
Reply With Quote
  #510 (permalink)  
Old 22-02-2019, 01:49 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
So both the specialist and gp markets are saturated. Seem that the days when being a doctor is an iron rice bowl are long gone...
how depressing. who wants to do an MO job all their life or be an RP?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What happened to Life Sciences? Salary.sg Education and Personal Growth 50 22-05-2013 12:58 PM
What work-life balance? Salary.sg Income and Jobs 2 02-06-2008 11:48 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,623 Replies, 2,613,996 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,298 Replies, 1,908,909 Views
DBS Management Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,787 Replies, 272,701 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,108 Replies, 5,587,304 Views
Ceca
2 Replies, 168 Views
Changi Airport Group ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
378 Replies, 334,920 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,668 Replies, 1,608,400 Views
Feeling helpless, need advice... ( 1 2)
11 Replies, 888 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,916 Replies, 1,085,795 Views
Anyone being hired during covid... ( 1 2)
19 Replies, 1,531 Views
Tax ( 1 2)
13 Replies, 3,515 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
379 Replies, 251,036 Views
Submitting My Resume To ST... ( 1 2 3)
20 Replies, 22,280 Views
anyone working at NCS ? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
395 Replies, 287,950 Views
How much do you earn and save? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
103 Replies, 14,124 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
159 Replies, 76,284 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
688 Replies, 211,946 Views
Mid-Year Civil Servant Bonus 2019 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,633 Replies, 784,250 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,191 Replies, 971,479 Views
What's the graduate officer... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
54 Replies, 13,156 Views
Possible to earn passive income... ( 1 2)
15 Replies, 4,153 Views
Anyone working in NTU... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
91 Replies, 92,828 Views
AML/Compliance/KYC professionals... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,380 Replies, 565,163 Views
Please Share DBS Average Months... ( 1 2)
17 Replies, 3,214 Views
Sharing my Passive and Active...
2 Replies, 552 Views
where can i buy nintendo stock?
6 Replies, 3,435 Views
[advice] Recruitment agency... ( 1 2)
15 Replies, 1,968 Views
HR Career advice
3 Replies, 1,455 Views
High Finance Thread ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
89 Replies, 15,592 Views
Queries about Cpib application ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,089 Replies, 500,259 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 02:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2