Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

How is life as a doctor in Singapore?

Old 21-01-2019, 02:24 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
FY1 that's why the uncertainty on whether I should return to singapore or will I be looked down by my colleagues for not being able to perform procedures as well as them if I return. Which stage are you at ?
Don't worry. Some of them cmi also. As the saying go, see one, do one teach one. In a few weeks time you will be up and ready.

Old 23-01-2019, 01:21 PM
Unregistered

Can someone advise: what is the % of registrars who become ACs, and the % of ACs who become Cs?

Old 23-01-2019, 05:11 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Can someone advise: what is the % of registrars who become ACs, and the % of ACs who become Cs?
Singapore system is not like Hong Kong. Almost 100% of AC will become C after one year of service excluding hmdp.

In Hong Kong, after exit most people are emplaced as AC. To get C, the previous C needs to retire, so probably need to wait for quite some time as long as ten years.

Now the tricky part for reg to AC in current Singapore climate. In Singapore since AC to C is automatic, the hard part is reg to AC.
As headcount for AC, C and SC are lumped together, so you must wait for an SC or a C to leave or retire before you can get promoted to AC.

So based on current estimates, the waiting time is probably about 1-2 years for those exited in 2018. Those in 2019 to 2020 is probably about 3-4 years. I do not think the average waiting will be more than 5 years, because people usually don't want to wait that long and will leave the sector.

Old 26-01-2019, 06:11 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Thanks for sharing your answer to my question. I'm curious as to how international medical graduates, specifically UK medical graduates fair in terms of procedural skills when held against their counterparts who completed medical tutelage in singapore. For example, I read from sources online which claimed that HO routinely performs procedures such as LP, femoral stabs and chest drains in Singapore. My question is, will UK graduates be able to perform the abovementioned procedures up to the standard of a Singapore medical graduate? In fact, were you ever taught the procedures in your medical school in the UK? I don't think it is even mandatory to get those procedures signed off as a core procedure before UK graduates complete their FY1 year.
LP unlikely in HO yr.
HO proficient procedures : fem stab, IDC, plug
Procedures wise u should be fine. I was ok in HO yr. Be humble and learn from your colleagues, MOs and nurses.
lp I only became proficient after neurology posting.
Chest drain quite rare. Only ever did one in 2 months of RCCM/ICU
Source: I am a UK IMG IM junior resident
Old 28-01-2019, 01:19 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
LP unlikely in HO yr.
HO proficient procedures : fem stab, IDC, plug
Procedures wise u should be fine. I was ok in HO yr. Be humble and learn from your colleagues, MOs and nurses.
lp I only became proficient after neurology posting.
Chest drain quite rare. Only ever did one in 2 months of RCCM/ICU
Source: I am a UK IMG IM junior resident
hi how difficult is it to get into residency thesse days? what was the transition like from UK to sg?
Old 28-01-2019, 01:23 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
FY1 that's why the uncertainty on whether I should return to singapore or will I be looked down by my colleagues for not being able to perform procedures as well as them if I return. Which stage are you at ?
Im only a lowly 4th year haha. do you have the grant or are you applying for a job? heard job vacancies are quite limited these days. any reason why you plan to go back?

Old 28-01-2019, 04:20 PM
human rights

Is it true house officers are not permitted to take no pay leave (consequence = failure of posting)?

Or does this only apply to local graduates?
Old 28-01-2019, 07:54 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by human rights View Post
Is it true house officers are not permitted to take no pay leave (consequence = failure of posting)?

Or does this only apply to local graduates?
for PGY 1 framework, need 12 months of full time work to accumulate sufficient experience. hence NPL will not be counted. say you take 1 month of NPL, then you need to serve another 1 month to ensure you get full 12 months of full time experience.

Generally NPL for frowned upon unless there is valid reason.
Old 29-01-2019, 04:56 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Im only a lowly 4th year haha. do you have the grant or are you applying for a job? heard job vacancies are quite limited these days. any reason why you plan to go back?
I took the grant when I'm in my third year. Not sure how difficult it is to get into various specialities in Singapore. It should be expected that some specialities are easily to 'get into' while some are extremely difficult. I was told specialties like IM and GP might be easier to get into but I'm not entirely sure. The sub specialties of IM will be tougher. Not sure what's the percentage of applicants that get accepted. Maybe someone in this forum might be able to advice.

I kind of regret taking the grant now and many of my peers have the same sentiments. Discounting the lack of training opportunities in Singapore there are still many reasons one might choose to stay in the UK. Welfare obviously being one. People here are very nice and keen to teach. Also, you have 3 weeks of annual leave per 6 month in th UK which makes it 30 days a year. I have 39 days in total this year due to days in lieu working on bank holidays. That's 2 months of free holiday for you to travel back to Singapore to visit your family. Not sure how many days Singapore HOs or MOs get. Might be about there as well but I'm not sure. You have the option of locuming here from FY1 which pays band 3 £30-40 an hour to supplement your wage. You can't work more than 48 hours a week due to the European working guidelines if not you will be paid a lot more up to x2 of your basic pay. Not sure if this will change after brexit but I highly doubt it will. You get lots of free time and quality time you can use to study for your MRCP which we tend to take in Sept early FY2.
Old 29-01-2019, 10:58 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
I took the grant when I'm in my third year. Not sure how difficult it is to get into various specialities in Singapore. It should be expected that some specialities are easily to 'get into' while some are extremely difficult. I was told specialties like IM and GP might be easier to get into but I'm not entirely sure. The sub specialties of IM will be tougher. Not sure what's the percentage of applicants that get accepted. Maybe someone in this forum might be able to advice.

I kind of regret taking the grant now and many of my peers have the same sentiments. Discounting the lack of training opportunities in Singapore there are still many reasons one might choose to stay in the UK. Welfare obviously being one. People here are very nice and keen to teach. Also, you have 3 weeks of annual leave per 6 month in th UK which makes it 30 days a year. I have 39 days in total this year due to days in lieu working on bank holidays. That's 2 months of free holiday for you to travel back to Singapore to visit your family. Not sure how many days Singapore HOs or MOs get. Might be about there as well but I'm not sure. You have the option of locuming here from FY1 which pays band 3 £30-40 an hour to supplement your wage. You can't work more than 48 hours a week due to the European working guidelines if not you will be paid a lot more up to x2 of your basic pay. Not sure if this will change after brexit but I highly doubt it will. You get lots of free time and quality time you can use to study for your MRCP which we tend to take in Sept early FY2.
That is sweet. If you locum in Singapore, you will get charged by council. Since you will be on a conditional license for first 3 years. For full license, locuming might get you immediate dismissal.

How much liquidated damage you have to pay if you Break bond?