Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

How is life as a doctor in Singapore?

Old 04-03-2022, 11:23 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
if u don't let gp earn from medicine ur consultation fee will become 50 bucks liao.
anyway. same thing, the gp just open a pharmacy nearby and start ordering obscure drugs only his pharmacy that is open got sell. none the wiser.

it's being discussed to death at ministry level liao. surely u can't think everyone is at your level of intelligence?
Idea for MOH. Create position of Nurse Practitioners. Can replace FP at one third the cost. Just as good.

Old 05-03-2022, 02:22 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
if u don't let gp earn from medicine ur consultation fee will become 50 bucks liao.
anyway. same thing, the gp just open a pharmacy nearby and start ordering obscure drugs only his pharmacy that is open got sell. none the wiser.

it's being discussed to death at ministry level liao. surely u can't think everyone is at your level of intelligence?
How much is consult fee now? Not even $50? Thats pathetic.

Old 05-03-2022, 07:19 AM
Unregistered

Any chance for new generation of doctors to own something like this?

s://..com/watch?v=4o8zpbtx9o8

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 05-03-2022, 07:20 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Any chance for new generation of doctors to own something like this?

s://..com/watch?v=4o8zpbtx9o8

.com/watch?v=4o8zpbtx9o8
Old 05-03-2022, 07:41 AM
Unregistered

Hi, just curious, do people here feel that more can and should be done to keep doctors/encourage doctors to stay in the public sector? (In terms of pay and working conditions)

Context: I am currently a mo mopexing in IM for last 2 postings, UK grad who just finish ho last year.
Manpower in IM is really bad at present 😞, with some of the mopex mo's posted to my hospital and IM residents quitting, the manpower on the ground is even more stretched. The bosses(I.e consultant) I worked with are all lamenting that more should be done to keep these people in the public system; most agreed that the pay difference (esp during the covid times) is just too big, with locums in CTF reportedly earning 30k+, and it's a no brainer that people (esp the juniors) will leave.

To be fair the consultant I worked with are very supportive (e.g will buy regular drinks and sometimes even food for us out of their own pockets, they are also reasonable in their expectations, they no longer expect us to preclerk or know our pts well before rounds, they understand we are swamped and are happy to just see the pts together, some of the ACs even step down to do changes, e.g call family/other subspec for referrals etc)
Old 05-03-2022, 10:52 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hi, just curious, do people here feel that more can and should be done to keep doctors/encourage doctors to stay in the public sector? (In terms of pay and working conditions)

Context: I am currently a mo mopexing in IM for last 2 postings, UK grad who just finish ho last year.
Manpower in IM is really bad at present 😞, with some of the mopex mo's posted to my hospital and IM residents quitting, the manpower on the ground is even more stretched. The bosses(I.e consultant) I worked with are all lamenting that more should be done to keep these people in the public system; most agreed that the pay difference (esp during the covid times) is just too big, with locums in CTF reportedly earning 30k+, and it's a no brainer that people (esp the juniors) will leave.

To be fair the consultant I worked with are very supportive (e.g will buy regular drinks and sometimes even food for us out of their own pockets, they are also reasonable in their expectations, they no longer expect us to preclerk or know our pts well before rounds, they understand we are swamped and are happy to just see the pts together, some of the ACs even step down to do changes, e.g call family/other subspec for referrals etc)
MOH are making use of the "virtues" of doctors being "selfless" and intentionally not matching the salaries.

Old 05-03-2022, 11:09 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

what do these junior doctors who quit their jobs then do?
Old 05-03-2022, 12:58 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

no need to preclerk is very happy liao. I study and work in auzzie and coming back I have no farking idea how the local can inhale all the information about 20 patients in 1 hour. one reg told me my presentation is unacceptable before. I say sorry, I'm not good enuff. she also lan Lan suck thumb.
now in gp land write MC , no access to nehr and take patient as they come..very very happy no mental stress. hours long but mental health 100 percent, esp when I look at my bank account.

salary can't increase anymore.
same thing. u have an army, country go war, the soldier Lan Lan have to fight it at same salary. maybe give benefit like letting them rape the civilian etc. maybe can give u a kopitiam card unlimited kopi and 3 free meals a day.

everyone is low on morale la. suck it up, later give u a medal and be called COVID heroes.
smart ones go out and make hay while the sun shines. heroes die and people in ivory tower pay lip service and pat themselves on their own back well done, and give themselves 20 months bonus.

u decide.
Old 05-03-2022, 03:11 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
no need to preclerk is very happy liao. I study and work in auzzie and coming back I have no farking idea how the local can inhale all the information about 20 patients in 1 hour. one reg told me my presentation is unacceptable before. I say sorry, I'm not good enuff. she also lan Lan suck thumb.
now in gp land write MC , no access to nehr and take patient as they come..very very happy no mental stress. hours long but mental health 100 percent, esp when I look at my bank account.

salary can't increase anymore.
same thing. u have an army, country go war, the soldier Lan Lan have to fight it at same salary. maybe give benefit like letting them rape the civilian etc. maybe can give u a kopitiam card unlimited kopi and 3 free meals a day.

everyone is low on morale la. suck it up, later give u a medal and be called COVID heroes.
smart ones go out and make hay while the sun shines. heroes die and people in ivory tower pay lip service and pat themselves on their own back well done, and give themselves 20 months bonus.

u decide.
Will it be too late if I join gp land July next year? (I.e will there still be jobs/hay to be made?)

Currently fm r2, feeling super jaded. I have no more bond left and have gdfm; only thing is that I probably lack ops experience given that most of the ops postings are in year 3 of residency. (My main polyclinic exp is from rcc which is more to do with chronic conditions)

I personally want to just go gp land in the long term eventually. Part of me is telling me to just complete residency, gain the ops experience and hopefully mmed (if I miraculously pass which I doubt since I am planning to leave immediately after residency and not join the prep course crap), other part of me is to tell me to leave now (esp given the locum rates at CTF etc, which will probably not be around when I finish residency next year)

I am also struggling with my other requirements like qip, 20 cases etc (they actually reduce from 40 to 20 &#128514
I am personally undecided..was wondering if anyone can give any advice?
Old 05-03-2022, 06:41 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Will it be too late if I join gp land July next year? (I.e will there still be jobs/hay to be made?)

Currently fm r2, feeling super jaded. I have no more bond left and have gdfm; only thing is that I probably lack ops experience given that most of the ops postings are in year 3 of residency. (My main polyclinic exp is from rcc which is more to do with chronic conditions)

I personally want to just go gp land in the long term eventually. Part of me is telling me to just complete residency, gain the ops experience and hopefully mmed (if I miraculously pass which I doubt since I am planning to leave immediately after residency and not join the prep course crap), other part of me is to tell me to leave now (esp given the locum rates at CTF etc, which will probably not be around when I finish residency next year)

I am also struggling with my other requirements like qip, 20 cases etc (they actually reduce from 40 to 20 &#128514
I am personally undecided..was wondering if anyone can give any advice?
it's too late for you liao la.
this Omicron looks very mild and spreading like wildfire

with vaccination and Omicron our immunity already learning how to fight this.
will become just another respiratory virus next year

u guai gaui tong and finish ur m.med ba. u nhg or nuh one ? no prep course v hard to pass de. if u nhg, many year 100 percent pass rate liao. plus u have to pay exams on ur own and in reality u start to mature as a fp only after ur residency in r4. I say u become a real fp in r5 or r6 like that.

going private is one way trip and not worth it unless u plan to eventually open ur own clinic, being a hired gp is also a bitter struggle with no end. in polyclinic at least got respite can teach student , resident, research..can take MC many many . if u girl go no pay leave year after year while being pregnant. stress with life apply no pay leave for 1 year.
become senior enough u slack see 25 patient a day clinic head also can't do **** to you. as a hired gp, u will be shown the door.