How is life as a doctor in Singapore? - Page 361 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




How is life as a doctor in Singapore?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #3601 (permalink)  
Old 27-02-2022, 05:10 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
?? brainless best to keep quiet rather than speak and remove all doubts
you think SGD 2.3K very big ah?
Even hawkers are paying >$3,000 per month, and probably working less or comparable hours.

Reply With Quote
  #3602 (permalink)  
Old 27-02-2022, 09:35 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
rubbish
most countries accept medical schools as long as it is listed on the world directory of medical schools
s://.who.int/teams/health-workforce/world-directory-of-medical-schools

however most countries required that u take a local licensing examination - PLAB for UK, USMLE for US, AMC for australia etc

How sg decide is really up to anyone guess. Prestige of the school , performance history of graduates from the school is one.

For Eg, ANU , australia national university set up its medical school not too long ago ( 2007 i think) but it got recognized in 2009

Anyway, even if your school isn't on the registrable list , you can actually apply to take the YSLLOM final professional exams and be allowed to get provisional registration in SG to start as an intern
That WHO list of med schools is no big deal. You try applying for a licence to practice in North America based solely on that WHO list you are not gonna get very far.
Does SG simply allow any dr who is from one of those recognized med schools to practice in SG? You need to have recognized post grad training as well. Even for SG GP work also need some assessment period.

Reply With Quote
  #3603 (permalink)  
Old 01-03-2022, 03:42 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
That WHO list of med schools is no big deal. You try applying for a licence to practice in North America based solely on that WHO list you are not gonna get very far.
Does SG simply allow any dr who is from one of those recognized med schools to practice in SG? You need to have recognized post grad training as well. Even for SG GP work also need some assessment period.
Even if graduating one of those recognized medical school and post-graduate training, you still have to be in a supervised role for 1-2 years before you're allowed independent practice.



Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #3604 (permalink)  
Old 01-03-2022, 10:37 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Even if graduating one of those recognized medical school and post-graduate training, you still have to be in a supervised role for 1-2 years before you're allowed independent practice.
Depends which country and what qualifications one has. If have MRCGP UK or FRACGP it is recognized as equivalent to MMED Fam Med.
Other specialties also depends on experience etc.
Whole process can be a little bit subjective as well.
Reply With Quote
  #3605 (permalink)  
Old 02-03-2022, 07:42 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Depends which country and what qualifications one has. If have MRCGP UK or FRACGP it is recognized as equivalent to MMED Fam Med.
Other specialties also depends on experience etc.
Whole process can be a little bit subjective as well.
ah no?
hospital don't recogise it as a suitable post grad qualification and at the polyclinic with a fracgp, mrcgp, Hong kong one one etc, u are on the fp pathway, not the consultant fp pathway which only the m.meders can be on. fyi gdfm put you on the fp pathway.
I think they are the same la, 3 years of training in all cases. but FM has a lot of local contextualisation. I go over to auzzie also blur about their aboriginal health, they come over to sg they know how much of chronic hep b or our social services?
interestingly someone I know who had a fracgp feels that just because there is a word fellow in his qualification, he should be equivalent to the fcfps. very funny and perhaps reeking too much of an ego.. in America, they award diplomas in their board specialities. I really dun think our diploma in dermatology is equivalent to the USA diploma in dermatology lei.
Reply With Quote
  #3606 (permalink)  
Old 02-03-2022, 08:30 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
ah no?
hospital don't recogise it as a suitable post grad qualification and at the polyclinic with a fracgp, mrcgp, Hong kong one one etc, u are on the fp pathway, not the consultant fp pathway which only the m.meders can be on. fyi gdfm put you on the fp pathway.
I think they are the same la, 3 years of training in all cases. but FM has a lot of local contextualisation. I go over to auzzie also blur about their aboriginal health, they come over to sg they know how much of chronic hep b or our social services?
interestingly someone I know who had a fracgp feels that just because there is a word fellow in his qualification, he should be equivalent to the fcfps. very funny and perhaps reeking too much of an ego.. in America, they award diplomas in their board specialities. I really dun think our diploma in dermatology is equivalent to the USA diploma in dermatology lei.
Looks like the mmeders have become very powerful and very protective of their turf.
I think this is good for local mmeders. No more kow tow to the foreign qualifications now.
The difference though is that sg mmeders if they go to other countries they do get some recognition now. So it is easier for sg fam mmeders to go abroad to work. No wonder they put the salary high high otherwise brain drain!
Reply With Quote

  #3607 (permalink)  
Old 02-03-2022, 01:38 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Looks like the mmeders have become very powerful and very protective of their turf.
I think this is good for local mmeders. No more kow tow to the foreign qualifications now.
The difference though is that sg mmeders if they go to other countries they do get some recognition now. So it is easier for sg fam mmeders to go abroad to work. No wonder they put the salary high high otherwise brain drain!
sg never kow tow before what.
our local standard of medicine v good. most R2 or r3 IM mo prolly better than some regs I've seen in australia. some of the comm hosp fcfp practice at a very high level also.

last time a m.med let u convert to fracgp directly. later as their gp become more and more it requires a fellowship and now Australia don't even recog the fellowship at all.
NZ still recog ours though!
Reply With Quote
  #3608 (permalink)  
Old 02-03-2022, 06:59 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
sg never kow tow before what.
our local standard of medicine v good. most R2 or r3 IM mo prolly better than some regs I've seen in australia. some of the comm hosp fcfp practice at a very high level also.

last time a m.med let u convert to fracgp directly. later as their gp become more and more it requires a fellowship and now Australia don't even recog the fellowship at all.
NZ still recog ours though!
I suggest change mmed exam to fellowship.
Once u pass mmed u are conferred fellowship.

Then make all mbbs md graduates later 2022 to have minimally fellowship to practice.

If not they have to work in the hospital.
Reply With Quote
  #3609 (permalink)  
Old 02-03-2022, 08:24 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
sg never kow tow before what.
our local standard of medicine v good. most R2 or r3 IM mo prolly better than some regs I've seen in australia. some of the comm hosp fcfp practice at a very high level also.

last time a m.med let u convert to fracgp directly. later as their gp become more and more it requires a fellowship and now Australia don't even recog the fellowship at all.
NZ still recog ours though!
Never kow tow?
Your IM rhey dont fly to UK take MRCP?
MRCS?
Only Fam med do local exam only. Mmed. No need any foreign exam.
All other specialties take foreign exam.
I was told the GP side of things is cos in 1970s many migrated to Australia. Used to be GP also take MRCGP or FRACGP. MOH invited foreign examiners. But later all recognized easy for brain drain. So MOH stopped. Ng
The day no kow tow is when IM and surgeons all take MMED local exams only no foreign exams needed. You dont see Drs from Australia or Canada or USA or UK needing to take foreiģn exams.
Reply With Quote
  #3610 (permalink)  
Old 02-03-2022, 09:12 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I suggest change mmed exam to fellowship.
Once u pass mmed u are conferred fellowship.

Then make all mbbs md graduates later 2022 to have minimally fellowship to practice.

If not they have to work in the hospital.
er. cannot
FM will be recognised as speciality this year.
m.med as intermediate. fellowship as final exit exam become fam med specialist.
same as other speciality.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What work-life balance? Salary.sg Income and Jobs 3 04-08-2022 11:49 PM
What happened to Life Sciences? Salary.sg Education and Personal Growth 50 22-05-2013 12:58 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Jobs with travel opportunities
5 Replies, 3,305 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,736 Replies, 1,463,973 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
14,601 Replies, 4,825,541 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,638 Replies, 1,485,337 Views
HTX (Home Team Science and... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
614 Replies, 313,299 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,770 Replies, 4,559,431 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,160 Replies, 3,304,061 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,051 Replies, 2,229,339 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
20,862 Replies, 10,147,295 Views
Salary ranges in Big Tech in...
0 Replies, 150 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,718 Replies, 1,332,947 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
16,234 Replies, 12,254,797 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,262 Replies, 732,380 Views
Micron starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
701 Replies, 383,416 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,982 Replies, 4,492,546 Views
ITE (lecturer) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
274 Replies, 376,649 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,733 Replies, 1,003,062 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,954 Replies, 2,080,121 Views
Visa Graduate Development Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
203 Replies, 125,518 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,204 Replies, 6,351,121 Views
Hospital (Private or Public)... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
746 Replies, 382,013 Views
Shopee fresh grad pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,020 Replies, 421,199 Views
DBS ACE Programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
105 Replies, 71,765 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,238 Replies, 583,992 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,491 Replies, 1,901,101 Views
Deutsche Corporate Bank Graduate... ( 1 2)
13 Replies, 8,793 Views
OCBC Graduate Talent Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,151 Replies, 628,146 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,913 Replies, 2,871,246 Views
GIC (Government of Singapore... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
417 Replies, 708,511 Views
Aircraft Maintenance License and... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
721 Replies, 715,615 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 02:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2