How is life as a doctor in Singapore? - Page 33 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




How is life as a doctor in Singapore?

 Citibank Cash Back Card - up to $350 cash back* - Click to Apply Now 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #321 (permalink)  
Old 26-07-2018, 11:30 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
To compete for a speciality you need to invest time and effort into research, publications, trying your best to look good in front of your bosses. I don't think you are being fair with that comment as many doctors like myself have other committments outside of their work (although it is generally frown upon).

And FYI I did get accepted in YLL but turned it down as I was lucky to be accepted in quite a prestigious medical school in UK. So keep the insults to yourself.
I honestly doubt that. If you are actually smart enough to get into this so-called prestigious UK med school (unless its Oxbridge but then you got too many spelling errors to be one), you should have realised that the Singapore hospital hierarchy goes YLLSOM/Duke/NTU > Malaysian/Indian/Pinoy med schools > UK/AU grads. Better still all FT docs don't need to do HOship because HOship like NS is reserved uniquely for Singaporeans.

Reply With Quote
  #322 (permalink)  
Old 26-07-2018, 07:31 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I honestly doubt that. If you are actually smart enough to get into this so-called prestigious UK med school (unless its Oxbridge but then you got too many spelling errors to be one), you should have realised that the Singapore hospital hierarchy goes YLLSOM/Duke/NTU > Malaysian/Indian/Pinoy med schools > UK/AU grads. Better still all FT docs don't need to do HOship because HOship like NS is reserved uniquely for Singaporeans.
I have trained with sg grad doctors and all of them seems to think local grad is the best. Yes it's true that some are more fluent in some dialects but in general their english is hard to understand and their clinical judgement isn't on par with some UK/first world trained doctors. That's why Aus NZ fast tracks GMC certified doctors and generally take a long time to certify sg trained doctors

Probably better to consider Aus/NZ than to stay in this healthcare system with a bad work culture which makes you work 80 hours a week.

Reply With Quote
  #323 (permalink)  
Old 27-07-2018, 03:51 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Seriously UK doesn't even want you beyond FY so stop pretending you have a choice at all.
Bro u high on drugs? Doctors can't work in UK after F2 r u serious? UK is in desperate need for doctors and it's much easier to get into a specialty training post here. Its a fact. How many of u can get into ophthalmology ENT if u stay in Singapore? Getting ST for those here is so much easier. I know a couple of singaporeans/malaysians who r allocated ST jobs in those specialities just this intake. Oh feel the burn?Let me tell u something more the pay is higher and u only work 40 hours a week. Anything more than 48 hours u get a band raise and the pay becomes 80% more of ur basic salary. U get that in singapore? U can't study here cuz u r a typical ego type A personality Singaporean who doesn't have enough money to study here. People can choose whatever they want in their life and there's never a right or wrong. Do we all deserve to be bashed by u cuz u r a local grad? That's ridiculous. Apply to the UK and work here for a couple of months and tell me who's right. That's if u can even get in.

Reply With Quote
  #324 (permalink)  
Old 27-07-2018, 03:59 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I have trained with sg grad doctors and all of them seems to think local grad is the best. Yes it's true that some are more fluent in some dialects but in general their english is hard to understand and their clinical judgement isn't on par with some UK/first world trained doctors. That's why Aus NZ fast tracks GMC certified doctors and generally take a long time to certify sg trained doctors

Probably better to consider Aus/NZ than to stay in this healthcare system with a bad work culture which makes you work 80 hours a week.
Yes ur right oz aus u get the best of both worlds good work life good pay and if u r gmc certified that's not that difficult to get in
Reply With Quote
  #325 (permalink)  
Old 27-07-2018, 05:24 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Bro u high on drugs? Doctors can't work in UK after F2 r u serious? UK is in desperate need for doctors and it's much easier to get into a specialty training post here. Its a fact. How many of u can get into ophthalmology ENT if u stay in Singapore? Getting ST for those here is so much easier. I know a couple of singaporeans/malaysians who r allocated ST jobs in those specialities just this intake. Oh feel the burn?Let me tell u something more the pay is higher and u only work 40 hours a week. Anything more than 48 hours u get a band raise and the pay becomes 80% more of ur basic salary. U get that in singapore? U can't study here cuz u r a typical ego type A personality Singaporean who doesn't have enough money to study here. People can choose whatever they want in their life and there's never a right or wrong. Do we all deserve to be bashed by u cuz u r a local grad? That's ridiculous. Apply to the UK and work here for a couple of months and tell me who's right. That's if u can even get in.
Pls dont come back
Reply With Quote
  #326 (permalink)  
Old 06-08-2018, 09:18 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Board certified anesthetist moving to Singapore

I am a USA trained anesthetist with 11 years experience in India and USA wanting to work in Singapore (low taxes and close to family in India). How much pay package I should ask for given my experience? I heard housing is expenseive in Singapore, can I ask Singaporean health ministry to provide us housing allowance in my pay package? Is USD 200-300k PA achievable and to live good life in Singapore?

I have family my wife and two teenage boys (9 and 13yo). Is the Singaporean public school good to enroll them in? How do I prevent them from becoming conscripted into Singaporean army if they are given Singapore PR? Thank you for your kind advise.
Reply With Quote

  #327 (permalink)  
Old 07-08-2018, 02:51 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I am a USA trained anesthetist with 11 years experience in India and USA wanting to work in Singapore (low taxes and close to family in India). How much pay package I should ask for given my experience? I heard housing is expenseive in Singapore, can I ask Singaporean health ministry to provide us housing allowance in my pay package? Is USD 200-300k PA achievable and to live good life in Singapore?

I have family my wife and two teenage boys (9 and 13yo). Is the Singaporean public school good to enroll them in? How do I prevent them from becoming conscripted into Singaporean army if they are given Singapore PR? Thank you for your kind advise.
Usd 200-300k is too high. 110-130k usd will be more likely as an associate consultant.
No housing package. But can give you 1.5k housing allowance per month.

Generally singapore is not in a desperate need for anaethesist. There is good supply in the pipeline. Your terms are too high. The cost benefit ratio of hiring you is simply not there. Unless you are a super reowned professor.

Generally hard to enroll into top public schools. But pte schools are plenty.
Dangerous to get PR if you do not want to serve NS.
I suggest keeping them as foreigners will be better for safety.


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #328 (permalink)  
Old 07-08-2018, 08:07 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I am a USA trained anesthetist with 11 years experience in India and USA wanting to work in Singapore (low taxes and close to family in India). How much pay package I should ask for given my experience? I heard housing is expenseive in Singapore, can I ask Singaporean health ministry to provide us housing allowance in my pay package? Is USD 200-300k PA achievable and to live good life in Singapore?

I have family my wife and two teenage boys (9 and 13yo). Is the Singaporean public school good to enroll them in? How do I prevent them from becoming conscripted into Singaporean army if they are given Singapore PR? Thank you for your kind advise.
Seriously need to manage your expectation. Not realistic usd 200-300k pa. FT must compete along wages. Dont make sense to hire you for 200-300k usd. In india, i definitely can hire a anaesthesia consultant for 3million rupee per year, less than 50k usd. I give them a bit of premium, give them a 75k usd PA in singapore, give them a position of staff physician. They do all the work, supervise my trainees.

I can hire four of them at the price you mention.
Reply With Quote
  #329 (permalink)  
Old 07-08-2018, 09:38 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Usd 200-300k is too high. 110-130k usd will be more likely as an associate consultant.
No housing package. But can give you 1.5k housing allowance per month.

Generally singapore is not in a desperate need for anaethesist. There is good supply in the pipeline. Your terms are too high. The cost benefit ratio of hiring you is simply not there. Unless you are a super reowned professor.

Generally hard to enroll into top public schools. But pte schools are plenty.
Dangerous to get PR if you do not want to serve NS.
I suggest keeping them as foreigners will be better for safety.
Thank you for your advise. I think I'm eligible for higher pay package as I am associate professor at Indian university. I will ask for USD 200k pay package then. Is 1.5k housing allowance enough for family of four in Singapore?

Good advise on keeping my boys foreigner status instead of Singapore PR as I do not want them to waste their time in army life (I will send them to USA for university study when they reach 18-19yo).
Reply With Quote
  #330 (permalink)  
Old 07-08-2018, 12:29 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Thank you for your advise. I think I'm eligible for higher pay package as I am associate professor at Indian university. I will ask for USD 200k pay package then. Is 1.5k housing allowance enough for family of four in Singapore?

Good advise on keeping my boys foreigner status instead of Singapore PR as I do not want them to waste their time in army life (I will send them to USA for university study when they reach 18-19yo).

Just a word of advise... 200k usd per annum is unrealistic in your case as mentioned earlier. As much as you hold an associate professor post, the fact that it is not from an Ivy League university makes it less desirable here in Singapore. You may want to revise your salary to a maximum of 130k per annum to stand a chance to be considered at all. Good luck.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What happened to Life Sciences? Salary.sg Education and Personal Growth 50 22-05-2013 12:58 PM
What work-life balance? Salary.sg Income and Jobs 2 02-06-2008 11:48 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,166 Replies, 1,334,874 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
9,617 Replies, 3,082,464 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,049 Replies, 3,846,006 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,723 Replies, 1,135,103 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,882 Replies, 1,757,289 Views
Ex-MOE Teachers ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
81 Replies, 120,432 Views
Where would you invest your money... ( 1 2)
18 Replies, 10,946 Views
MasterCard Graduate Developement... ( 1 2)
11 Replies, 4,979 Views
Engineer Pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
120 Replies, 46,684 Views
DBS Graduate Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
745 Replies, 374,384 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,630 Replies, 1,345,071 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,006 Replies, 1,146,201 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,715 Replies, 5,924,931 Views
OCBC Graduate Talent Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
337 Replies, 114,818 Views
Invitation to apply to civil...
0 Replies, 164 Views
HSBC Graduate Programme 2021
6 Replies, 399 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
873 Replies, 260,123 Views
Looking for job referral,...
5 Replies, 512 Views
Diploma in Digital Marketing at...
4 Replies, 2,491 Views
Starting Pay for CS/Ministries... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
155 Replies, 36,329 Views
How rich/poor am I compared to... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
44 Replies, 34,779 Views
Employment agency taking me to...
2 Replies, 136 Views
[advice] Recruitment agency... ( 1 2 3)
21 Replies, 3,219 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
30 Replies, 4,297 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,407 Replies, 2,012,208 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,462 Replies, 981,037 Views
Enterprise Singapore hiriing... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
117 Replies, 43,558 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 01:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2