Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

How is life as a doctor in Singapore?

Old 26-07-2018, 11:30 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
To compete for a speciality you need to invest time and effort into research, publications, trying your best to look good in front of your bosses. I don't think you are being fair with that comment as many doctors like myself have other committments outside of their work (although it is generally frown upon).

And FYI I did get accepted in YLL but turned it down as I was lucky to be accepted in quite a prestigious medical school in UK. So keep the insults to yourself.
I honestly doubt that. If you are actually smart enough to get into this so-called prestigious UK med school (unless its Oxbridge but then you got too many spelling errors to be one), you should have realised that the Singapore hospital hierarchy goes YLLSOM/Duke/NTU > Malaysian/Indian/Pinoy med schools > UK/AU grads. Better still all FT docs don't need to do HOship because HOship like NS is reserved uniquely for Singaporeans.

Old 26-07-2018, 07:31 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I honestly doubt that. If you are actually smart enough to get into this so-called prestigious UK med school (unless its Oxbridge but then you got too many spelling errors to be one), you should have realised that the Singapore hospital hierarchy goes YLLSOM/Duke/NTU > Malaysian/Indian/Pinoy med schools > UK/AU grads. Better still all FT docs don't need to do HOship because HOship like NS is reserved uniquely for Singaporeans.
I have trained with sg grad doctors and all of them seems to think local grad is the best. Yes it's true that some are more fluent in some dialects but in general their english is hard to understand and their clinical judgement isn't on par with some UK/first world trained doctors. That's why Aus NZ fast tracks GMC certified doctors and generally take a long time to certify sg trained doctors

Probably better to consider Aus/NZ than to stay in this healthcare system with a bad work culture which makes you work 80 hours a week.

Old 27-07-2018, 03:51 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Seriously UK doesn't even want you beyond FY so stop pretending you have a choice at all.
Bro u high on drugs? Doctors can't work in UK after F2 r u serious? UK is in desperate need for doctors and it's much easier to get into a specialty training post here. Its a fact. How many of u can get into ophthalmology ENT if u stay in Singapore? Getting ST for those here is so much easier. I know a couple of singaporeans/malaysians who r allocated ST jobs in those specialities just this intake. Oh feel the burn?Let me tell u something more the pay is higher and u only work 40 hours a week. Anything more than 48 hours u get a band raise and the pay becomes 80% more of ur basic salary. U get that in singapore? U can't study here cuz u r a typical ego type A personality Singaporean who doesn't have enough money to study here. People can choose whatever they want in their life and there's never a right or wrong. Do we all deserve to be bashed by u cuz u r a local grad? That's ridiculous. Apply to the UK and work here for a couple of months and tell me who's right. That's if u can even get in.

Old 27-07-2018, 03:59 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
I have trained with sg grad doctors and all of them seems to think local grad is the best. Yes it's true that some are more fluent in some dialects but in general their english is hard to understand and their clinical judgement isn't on par with some UK/first world trained doctors. That's why Aus NZ fast tracks GMC certified doctors and generally take a long time to certify sg trained doctors

Probably better to consider Aus/NZ than to stay in this healthcare system with a bad work culture which makes you work 80 hours a week.
Yes ur right oz aus u get the best of both worlds good work life good pay and if u r gmc certified that's not that difficult to get in
Old 27-07-2018, 05:24 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Bro u high on drugs? Doctors can't work in UK after F2 r u serious? UK is in desperate need for doctors and it's much easier to get into a specialty training post here. Its a fact. How many of u can get into ophthalmology ENT if u stay in Singapore? Getting ST for those here is so much easier. I know a couple of singaporeans/malaysians who r allocated ST jobs in those specialities just this intake. Oh feel the burn?Let me tell u something more the pay is higher and u only work 40 hours a week. Anything more than 48 hours u get a band raise and the pay becomes 80% more of ur basic salary. U get that in singapore? U can't study here cuz u r a typical ego type A personality Singaporean who doesn't have enough money to study here. People can choose whatever they want in their life and there's never a right or wrong. Do we all deserve to be bashed by u cuz u r a local grad? That's ridiculous. Apply to the UK and work here for a couple of months and tell me who's right. That's if u can even get in.
Pls dont come back
Old 06-08-2018, 09:18 PM
Unregistered

Default Board certified anesthetist moving to Singapore

I am a USA trained anesthetist with 11 years experience in India and USA wanting to work in Singapore (low taxes and close to family in India). How much pay package I should ask for given my experience? I heard housing is expenseive in Singapore, can I ask Singaporean health ministry to provide us housing allowance in my pay package? Is USD 200-300k PA achievable and to live good life in Singapore?

I have family my wife and two teenage boys (9 and 13yo). Is the Singaporean public school good to enroll them in? How do I prevent them from becoming conscripted into Singaporean army if they are given Singapore PR? Thank you for your kind advise.

Old 07-08-2018, 02:51 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
I am a USA trained anesthetist with 11 years experience in India and USA wanting to work in Singapore (low taxes and close to family in India). How much pay package I should ask for given my experience? I heard housing is expenseive in Singapore, can I ask Singaporean health ministry to provide us housing allowance in my pay package? Is USD 200-300k PA achievable and to live good life in Singapore?

I have family my wife and two teenage boys (9 and 13yo). Is the Singaporean public school good to enroll them in? How do I prevent them from becoming conscripted into Singaporean army if they are given Singapore PR? Thank you for your kind advise.
Usd 200-300k is too high. 110-130k usd will be more likely as an associate consultant.
No housing package. But can give you 1.5k housing allowance per month.

Generally singapore is not in a desperate need for anaethesist. There is good supply in the pipeline. Your terms are too high. The cost benefit ratio of hiring you is simply not there. Unless you are a super reowned professor.

Generally hard to enroll into top public schools. But pte schools are plenty.
Dangerous to get PR if you do not want to serve NS.
I suggest keeping them as foreigners will be better for safety.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:07 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

Seriously need to manage your expectation. Not realistic usd 200-300k pa. FT must compete along wages. Dont make sense to hire you for 200-300k usd. In india, i definitely can hire a anaesthesia consultant for 3million rupee per year, less than 50k usd. I give them a bit of premium, give them a 75k usd PA in singapore, give them a position of staff physician. They do all the work, supervise my trainees.

I can hire four of them at the price you mention.
Old 07-08-2018, 09:38 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Usd 200-300k is too high. 110-130k usd will be more likely as an associate consultant.
No housing package. But can give you 1.5k housing allowance per month.

Generally singapore is not in a desperate need for anaethesist. There is good supply in the pipeline. Your terms are too high. The cost benefit ratio of hiring you is simply not there. Unless you are a super reowned professor.

Generally hard to enroll into top public schools. But pte schools are plenty.
Dangerous to get PR if you do not want to serve NS.
I suggest keeping them as foreigners will be better for safety.
Thank you for your advise. I think I'm eligible for higher pay package as I am associate professor at Indian university. I will ask for USD 200k pay package then. Is 1.5k housing allowance enough for family of four in Singapore?

Good advise on keeping my boys foreigner status instead of Singapore PR as I do not want them to waste their time in army life (I will send them to USA for university study when they reach 18-19yo).
Old 07-08-2018, 12:29 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Thank you for your advise. I think I'm eligible for higher pay package as I am associate professor at Indian university. I will ask for USD 200k pay package then. Is 1.5k housing allowance enough for family of four in Singapore?

Good advise on keeping my boys foreigner status instead of Singapore PR as I do not want them to waste their time in army life (I will send them to USA for university study when they reach 18-19yo).

Just a word of advise... 200k usd per annum is unrealistic in your case as mentioned earlier. As much as you hold an associate professor post, the fact that it is not from an Ivy League university makes it less desirable here in Singapore. You may want to revise your salary to a maximum of 130k per annum to stand a chance to be considered at all. Good luck.